Circumaural Closed Phones
Aug 8, 2001 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fbleagh

Head-Fier
Does no one make good closed phones anymore ?

I want a pair for use on the plane and at work. Because my 580's would annoy to many people at work and it wouldn't block out the noise on the plane.

I have a set of EX70's which are great for on the train etc but i want something a bit better and more comfortable for other times.
Also i notice that i get way more wax build up using canalphones, does everyone else notice this or is it just me ?

If there was a version of the 580's or 600's with clsoed backs i would own them
smily_headphones1.gif

anyways the main things i want from these phones are.

- isolation from outside noise
- isolation of music from outside world
- circumaural
- comfy
- avaliable in australia if at all possible
smily_headphones1.gif

---
Push the envelope, Watch it bend.
---

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Since you like the 580's, the DT831 may sound too bright, analytical, and bass thin for your liking. The 831's excel at giving a very detailed, tight sound, with a phenomenal midrange.

I would suggest the Denon 950's, Sony V6's, Beyer DT250, or the Sennheiser HD25-1 for a slightly darker, smoother, more laid back presentation which is more similar to the 580's sound. Overall I'd probably suggest the HD25's or the 950's (Note: I've never heard either, but reviews on these have been very positive). One more that comes to mind are the Beyer 770's, but I really haven't heard enough about them to comment.

PS - I just noticed that you want circumaural phones - which the HD25's are not, but they do look rather comfy ...

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, does he want the quality or the type of sound of Senn's?

the 831's are equal in quality, roughly, to high end senns and high end grado's, you know? but they all got different sounds and stuff.....

Anyways, he didn't specifically say the 831 sound, he just said quality, and, for the stuff he listed, I think the 831's would do nicely..... IF he has access to a warm amp at work.... (total airhead, anyone?)

Aug 8, 2001 at 4:45 AM Post #5 of 13
what about the Beyer DT770? tomcat really likes them, not sure about everyone else...

Aug 8, 2001 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 13
"tomcat really likes them"

Neruda, that is wrong. The truth is: I really, really, really, really, REALLY like them. Really.

The Beyer 770 Pro - 250 Ohms are simply the most musical, enjoyable, non-fatiguing and smooth headphones I know. They have warmer and thus more natural tonal balance than the Senns 580/600 or the Beyer 831(closed)/931(open). This warm character is probably even better described as time coherence or as better phase linearity: It is easier to make sense of what is going on there. Everything that happens with the overtones, in the upper mids or in the treble, has a reason, a perceivable foundation in the fundamentals area.

Those 770 Pros are just never shrill, and there is even less treble glare than with the open 990s (let alone those other Senns or Beyers I mentioned). With the 770s, instruments or voices always have their solid, resonant, believable body. And the 770s have the deepest, most impactful and controlled bass of any headphone I have ever heard (don't know the Denons or the Sony V6 though). I'd say the 770s are easily better than most speakers in this regard.

One more thing: they have an exceptional natural and believable soundstage. Those instruments are just right there. The 770s convey an uncanny sense of instrumental presence. To my ears, they are simply seductive, captivating and, before all, musical.

I think one could say I really like them. Really.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 13
tomcat: two questions. First, have you tried any Grados, and if so, how do they compare in terms of impact and liveliness? Second, how easily is the 250-ohm version powered without an amp?

Aug 8, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Neruda: My DT531 (also with the 250-Ohm-drivers) is easily powered by an integrated amp, but it still works fairly well on the SL-CT570 (I usually prefer levels between 75 and 95 dB). And Tomcat told me in another thread, that the DT770 Pro 250 is even less power hungry. So I'd think you can safely go for it, if you want.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 8, 2001 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 13
I have most of the phones in question here, namely HD600 (close enough to HD580) DT831 and DT250.

If you want a sound in the class of the 580s go with the DT831. Yes, they have different sonic character. DT 831 are notably brighter but not fatiguing and the sounstage and openess are the best i've ever heard in a closed phone. DT 250 is another animal. More mainstream sound. The best cans to use with portables IMO.

Aug 8, 2001 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 13
hmm, that 770 is that good? any big interresting reviews out there?

Aug 8, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 13
I haven't found many reviews, and certainly none of the 250-ohm version. the 600-ohm version also used different pads, so the sound might be improved since then.

Aug 9, 2001 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Neruda,

concerning your two questions - I have listened to nothing higher in the Grado line-up than the SR-125. Grados are as absurdly priced in Germany as Senns are in the US, so Grados aren't exactly common or popular over here (Gradoistcool being the glowing exception). Driven by the Naim Headline and my own Earmax Pro, I perceived the SR-125 as, well, bizarre. To me, it didn't have convincing tonal balance and a simply ragged, obtrusive and annoying rendition of higher frequencies. There have been bucketloads of artificial detail with the SR-125 but just no harmonic coherence. Add to this the absence of a halfway decent soundstage, and you end up with constant shock treatment from the brain's inability to make sense of it all. This effect might emphasize the properties of certain kinds of rock music or techno, but I perceived the SR-125s as way too fatiguing to be generally suited for listening to music.

I didn't know either the Beyer 770 Pros nor the 990 Pros back then, but my favourite phone at that time, the Audio Technica ATH-A5, had clearly superior bass response. If one looks at a sense of impact from the 1 kHz region, where sensitivity is typically measured, the Grados might be superior to the 770s/990s, although their sensitivity is stated as >96dB (which is conservatively measured as the average response throughout a one octave area around 1 KHz). But if you look at the sense of impact where it's probably most relevant, in the bass, the Beyers don't have punch, they have S L A M. They (and especially the 770s) simply obliterate any other headphone I know in terms of convincing timbre, control and impact in the bass. Compared with the 770s, a headphone like the Sony CD 3000, for example, seems to be nothing but wobbly. It's truly a night and day kind of difference.

Question two: The 770 Pro - 250 Ohms is handily driven even from the headphone out of my PC's CD drive. I have yet to find a headphone socket, that wouldn't be sufficient. And the best thing is: the 770 Pros are forgiving! I'd say they tend to sound great from any source and any amp because they just don't introduce any harmonic incoherencies and timing flaws of their own. Even at high levels, orchestral tuttis for example, when the 990's soundstage tends to go into overload, the 770s stay almost perfectly transparent and remain fully in control (or they allow the amp to stay in control, what amounts to the same thing).

Did I mention that I really like those 770 Pros?
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2001 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 13
aaaaahhhh! I want, I want!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, at least I'll get to listen to them on saturday. Maybe if I like them I can haggle with tyll for a bit and get a realy good deal....tyll?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back