Circuit error in Lite DAC-AH: Easy fix
Oct 8, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #31 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
What exactly does this statement mean? Are you talking about other Chinese-made DACs?

the circuit for the DAC-AH was developed for another more expensive DAC. When the Chinese copied it they lowered the voltage to the TDA1543's to avoid overheating rather than adding heatsinks. When they lowered the voltage they made a mistake in that they forgot to change the resistance for R35/R36. So this DAC from Lite clips.

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #32 of 225
That's interesting. My DAC-AH does have the correct voltage but then again mine is from 2004 before anyone had discovered it. I have added my own heatsinks. Maybe the latest version has this unfortunate "fix" / error.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #33 of 225
here's another taker for a 'step by step' dac ah fix- love the sound but that clipping...thanks

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #34 of 225
I want to fix my DAC-AH... the resistors I bought from RadioShack are 5% tolerance... is that ok or is that too high a tolerance?

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 225
What's the best way to remove the board so you can have access to the output resistors and capacitors. I don't want to cut wires if possible. How do the digital inputs come loose from the side.

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 225
kim, could you take a picture of the inside of your dac and point out where the resistors go? I've never soldered before so i'd like as much knowledge as possible before I go at it. Any (more) help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you don't want to, thanks a lot for IDing the problem and already explaining how to fix it

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 225
Are the maufacturers aware of the problem? I ws going to either get a 203.2 or maybe step up to a DAC-AH when the time came but this little problem has got me worried - I dont have a soldering iron and i wouldn't be up for messing inside anyways. I also need it to stay stock to keep the price down.

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #39 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by bpm2000
Are the maufacturers aware of the problem? I ws going to either get a 203.2 or maybe step up to a DAC-AH when the time came but this little problem has got me worried - I dont have a soldering iron and i wouldn't be up for messing inside anyways. I also need it to stay stock to keep the price down.

If you don't want to solder avoid any DAC made in China.

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
If you don't want to solder avoid any DAC made in China.

Whoa that's some BS. I've experienced many chinese DACs and the DAC-AH is the first one i've wanted to touch with a soldering iron; and this isn't because it's flawed (it's GREAT for the price, unmodded), but because it has so damn much modding potential.

If someone was to buy a DAC-AH and not touch it with a soldering iron, they'd be getting a great deal

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #41 of 225
China DAC's are a good value for the money but almost all of them have mistakes/compromises like this. You must be prepared to fix them unless for example with this DAC-AH you like to listen to clipping.

Oct 13, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #42 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
China DAC's are a good value for the money but almost all of them have mistakes/compromises like this. You must be prepared to fix them unless for example with this DAC-AH you like to listen to clipping.

All gear from everywhere has mistakes or flaws that can be fixed. Just before I read a post here on headfi stating that the very expensive Benchmark DAC1 uses 50 ohm BNC plugs instead of the correct 75 ohm.

Dont forget that the DACAH gained fame before people started fixing the circuit error.

Oct 13, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #43 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc
kim, could you take a picture of the inside of your dac and point out where the resistors go? I've never soldered before so i'd like as much knowledge as possible before I go at it. Any (more) help would be greatly appreciated. Even if you don't want to, thanks a lot for IDing the problem and already explaining how to fix it

Sorry, I can't post a photo because I've removed the resistors in preparation for more mods. The resistors (R35,R36) are located next to the 3rd TDA1543 chip from the edge of the printed circuit board next to the power transformer. Just solder 1/4 watt 5% 330 ohm resistors (I prefer 330 ohm vs. 470 ohm for more margin to clipping) across R35 and R36. Then adjust the trimpot so that pins 5 and 7 of the TDA1543s are at about 3.3V DC (after allowing about 10 minutes for warmup). That's it. The space around R35 and R36 is a little tight so a soldering iron with a thin tip might be required.

Keep in mind this fix is only necessary if your DAC-AH uses 6V for the TDA1543 supply. This can be measured at pin 8 of the TDA1543s. Good luck.

Oct 17, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #44 of 225
Just wanted to chime in and update you guys on what ive done so far to my dac-ah.......

NOTHING!!

Ive been sick as a dog and am just barely recovering from a nasty cold. After a week of feeling like **** I finally gave in and made a Drs appointment. He prescribed some antibiotics and i feel a little better now. All of my parts are in and will start working on it later this week.

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #45 of 225
ok so i'm staring at the PCB of my DAC-AH. I see the resistors over R35 and R36. So what I should do is solder 330 ohm resistors to the existing resistors on R35 and R36? What is a good way to go about this? Any help with technique? So my final product will have two resistors (270 and 330) pretty much stacked on top of each other... yes? I'm a total newbie at this... so uh... thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back