Circuit City refund for my broken Karma. What should I buy with it?
Nov 7, 2005 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OniVerde

Head-Fier
My Karma started making whining noises last week, so I sent it back to Circuit City via their warranty program. They will be sending me a gift card worth $250. The only HD players at CC with >20Gig capacity are:
Creative Zen Sleek
iRiver H10 20GB
iPod

Honestly, I'm not that excited about any one of those and will try to cash in my gift card. But in the case that I am unsuccessfull, which one of these would you guys pick?

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 12
A freind of mine has the Zen Sleek, it's pretty cool. The ZM Photo is out, and the Sleek Photo has showed up on the Creatives Global site, if you feel like waiting. Zen Sleek is a pretty solid product though.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 12
ill buy the gift card off you for $175
eggosmile.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
My Karma started making whining noises last week, so I sent it back to Circuit City via their warranty program. They will be sending me a gift card worth $250.

How did the warranty with CC workout? I have to eventually need to do the same thing with my 3rd gen ipod. Did you have to call a phone number, they then send you the package to send it back with. You send it back to them, and waited like 10 businesss days. Then they said you the gift card. The ipod I have 3rd gen, freezes from time to time and the battery likfe is no where what is use to be. Maybe 5 hours in a shot. Wondering how bad they are going to be with honoring there warranty.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
I would've kept the Karma and imagined what the music might have sounded like coming from the beautiful player. That, or hit the crap out of it until it worked, reloaded firmware, or reformatted the HD. Any of that work?

Nope. The problem seems to be caused by the HD heating up too much. Every once in a while I format the HD and reload it to keep it defragged. But the last time I did that the player loaded up about 5 gigs before the whinning started, then the player would freeze. I have to shut it off via the reset button and let it cool before it is functional again. I love my Karma, but just wish it had lasted longer. Hell, if they let me cash in my gift card, I'll take that money and buy another Karma. They're so cheap now.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
How did the warranty with CC workout? I have to eventually need to do the same thing with my 3rd gen ipod. Did you have to call a phone number, they then send you the package to send it back with. You send it back to them, and waited like 10 businesss days. Then they said you the gift card. The ipod I have 3rd gen, freezes from time to time and the battery likfe is no where what is use to be. Maybe 5 hours in a shot. Wondering how bad they are going to be with honoring there warranty.

You go to their website and enter your receipt number. Then you print out a UPS label and send the unit off. I left a little note in the box stating the problem, which I think the technicians liked because they mailed my gift card the same day they received the unit.

Nov 7, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OniVerde
Nope. The problem seems to be caused by the HD heating up too much. Every once in a while I format the HD and reload it to keep it defragged. But the last time I did that the player loaded up about 5 gigs before the whinning started, then the player would freeze. I have to shut it off via the reset button and let it cool before it is functional again. I love my Karma, but just wish it had lasted longer. Hell, if they let me cash in my gift card, I'll take that money and buy another Karma. They're so cheap now.

Yeah, it does have a problem. Warranty is the best way to go. I opened mine up and found that the battery actually gets quite hot, and it presses down on the drive, so I used poster tape to separate it from it (and it sticks to the back of the unit). Of course, this voids the warranty, so that's the only problem with that.

They are cheap. I got mine for less than 200. My first one, no problems thus far, and it's a bargain. It's my first player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back