Cincinnati, Ohio meet impressions-1/29/2005
Feb 1, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
New MS-2? Haven't heard about that...

I am actually considering selling your old MS-2. I want a nicer portable rig and can't afford it unless I sell something. The MS-2 is nice, but I listen to the HD650 more. In my rig the HD650 never awes me, but it never irritates me either. The MS-2 awes me at times, but can also be a bit much if I am not in the mood for it. On the other hand I was really impressed with the MS-2 with the MPX3. If I had an MPX3 I think the MS-2 would get a lot more use. So would the 650 though. Damn...I want an MPX3 now...

All for the cause - if selling the MS-2 means you get a portable rig, go for it! Hopefully another lucky head-fier will then get a shot at those MS-2s, they really are great cans.

As for the new MS-2, the news is somewhat hidden in that big thread about the New Gold 325 Grados. Since the 325's counterpart is the Alessandro MS-2, they have new MS-2s as well, but silver instead of gold. The housing is bigger than the old housing, and there are rumours that they are new type of drivers too. Not much on the reporting end for these yet, they just came out. There are pics of them in the Gold Grado thread tho, do a search for gold 325 grado and it should pop up.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #17 of 35
it was definitely a great meet. i came with 2 friends, one of whom made the meet in september that i hosted, and i think that both are pretty into headphones now (one was halfway there and is now a convert). thanks for your hospitality, Mikey01!

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
All for the cause - if selling the MS-2 means you get a portable rig, go for it! Hopefully another lucky head-fier will then get a shot at those MS-2s, they really are great cans.

As for the new MS-2, the news is somewhat hidden in that big thread about the New Gold 325 Grados. Since the 325's counterpart is the Alessandro MS-2, they have new MS-2s as well, but silver instead of gold. The housing is bigger than the old housing, and there are rumours that they are new type of drivers too. Not much on the reporting end for these yet, they just came out. There are pics of them in the Gold Grado thread tho, do a search for gold 325 grado and it should pop up.

Thanks for the info. I found the pics and I kind of like the old MS-2 look better. Sound is more important though. Now might be the best time for me to get rid of the MS-2 if it turns out the new ones are a big improvement. On the same note if the new ones suck these might be worth more.

At this point the MS-2 is my second favorite headphone. Maybe first with a tube amp. At some point when I have more cash and a tube amp I really want to try them again. I don't want to get rid of them, but a nice set of canalphones will get more use. Maybe I will just post an interest check for now...

Thanks again for the MS-2 Jahn. I have enjoyed my time with them.

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
it was definitely a great meet. i came with 2 friends, one of whom made the meet in september that i hosted, and i think that both are pretty into headphones now (one was halfway there and is now a convert). thanks for your hospitality, Mikey01!

Have they joined Head-Fi yet? What headphones have you convinced them to buy?

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Have they joined Head-Fi yet? What headphones have you convinced them to buy?

they haven't joined headfi (neither is really into forums), but vern is looking for a set of Sennheiser HD25-1 right now for a good price and wants to get a set of 650's at some point. i know he wants to get a Singlepower, but i don't think he is in the financial situation to do so any time soon. he is really into the Sennheiser sound, which somewhat suprised me as he is a DJ (acid jazz and progressive house) and usually appreciates a more upfront sound. paul is a speaker guy, but he definitely has a new appreciation for headphones.

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What happened to the transformer cover?
confused.gif

-Ed

My MPX3 6V/12V doesn't´t have one at all, and I don´t miss it. First I thought it looked funny but now I find the cover of others too Art Déco. The screws, holding it together, could have been nicer though. BTW mine is also not turned 45° in relation to the chassis.

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glöd
My MPX3 6V/12V doesn't´t have one at all, and I don´t miss it. First I thought it looked funny but now I find the cover of others too Art Déco. The screws, holding it together, could have been nicer though. BTW mine is also not turned 45° in relation to the chassis.

Mine has the 12 volt transformer in the case so he turned the transformer to get it to fit.
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
C'mon, Bill, I brought mine all the way from California last time.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

I'm still a little (OK maybe a lot) paranoid about the new R10's. It's kind of like when you buy a new car and park it in the middle of nowhere at the supermarket, hoping noone parks next to you. After a couple thousand miles and a few stone chips I won't be near as hyper. Maybe at the June meet at sacd lover's!

Feb 4, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalbill
I'm still a little (OK maybe a lot) paranoid about the new R10's. It's kind of like when you buy a new car and park it in the middle of nowhere at the supermarket, hoping noone parks next to you. After a couple thousand miles and a few stone chips I won't be near as hyper. Maybe at the June meet at sacd lover's!

LOL, well wearing them while offroading will accelerate that.

-Ed

Feb 4, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalbill

The concern is understandable. I was even a little concerned with bringing my HD650 and MS-2 and they are only 1/10 the cost of the R10.

Feb 4, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #27 of 35
You guys need to get over those fears.

Otherwise, no one will bring anything to meets.
rolleyes.gif

Just remember to be really careful with other people's stuff, obviously. Wash your hands after eating before you touch anything.

There are always precautions to take. Bring pieces of foam, towels, bubble wrap, to rest headphones on. Keep cords coiled up and on the table, when headphones are not in use, to prevent people's feet from snaggin on the cable and sending headphones flying.
Avoid stacking too many amps on top of each other, use protective mats or towels on top, to prevent scratches.

If you are really paranoid, have people wear cotton gloves (like photo handling gloves)when handling your stuff. (yes, I've done this).

Remember to share and take care.
-Ed

Feb 6, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #28 of 35
I wish I had done this before the meet. I just recabled the Beyer DT880's with CAT5 cable. It cost me nothing as I had allready had all of what I needed. A little better base and NO MORE COILED CORD.
basshead.gif
blink.gif
580smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I am also now convinced that I don't like flats on Grados. I listened to the MS-2s with flats and bowls and felt that the flats just congested the midrange unacceptably.

When I first got the MS2 I used them almost exclusively with flats. I thought they sounded a lot better than the bowls. I got the HD650 in December and barely touched the MS2 for a month. Now, when comparing the flats and bowls, the flats sound muddy in comparison. I like the extra bass and warmth they give, but they do kind of kill the music. I think the flats are still better when I just want to relax and enjoy some aggressive music.

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
I wish I had done this before the meet. I just recabled the Beyer DT880's with CAT5 cable. It cost me nothing as I had allready had all of what I needed. A little better base and NO MORE COILED CORD.
basshead.gif
blink.gif
580smile.gif
3000smile.gif

I never minded the coiled cord as much as the cord length was annoyingly short. I am interested if the sound quality improves; mainly the treble. We want some impressions once the cable is run in.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hey, how do the nos sylvania 6sn7 and 5u4 tubes sound in your Moth now that they have had some break in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back