CIEMs
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NewHeadphones

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am quite new to the audiophile community, and would like to first state that I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate high-fidelity sound reproduction. Now that that's out of the way I would like to talk about customs as I am very interested in getting a pair myself. The main reason I guess for wanting a pair of customs is the experience and comfort factor, as I have no idea how different it would sound compared to universals.

I have had a look around head-fi and other sites and see that the best way to experience different gear is to by used so if I decide that I don't like it I can sell it on for minimal losses. I can understand this point for universal IEMs but I'm not too sure regarding customs. I guess what I'm asking is, since I'm new to the world of CIEMs, would I be better off buying brand new as it would be under warranty should I have any problems later and the company will deal with mostly everything, or would you still recommend buying used for someone just starting out with CIEMs?

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello all,

I am quite new to the audiophile community, and would like to first state that I am not an audiophile but I do appreciate high-fidelity sound reproduction. Now that that's out of the way I would like to talk about customs as I am very interested in getting a pair myself. The main reason I guess for wanting a pair of customs is the experience and comfort factor, as I have no idea how different it would sound compared to universals.

I have had a look around head-fi and other sites and see that the best way to experience different gear is to by used so if I decide that I don't like it I can sell it on for minimal losses. I can understand this point for universal IEMs but I'm not too sure regarding customs. I guess what I'm asking is, since I'm new to the world of CIEMs, would I be better off buying brand new as it would be under warranty should I have any problems later and the company will deal with mostly everything, or would you still recommend buying used for someone just starting out with CIEMs?

I would just buy used or attend something like can jam where you can try stuff out. Once quarantine is over some stores may also have them on display.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 4
I live in the UK so it is not as easy for me to attend these events as I think they are mostly over in the US. I will definitely try as many out as I can though when the stores re-open, thanks. The only thing is that CIEMs seem like a shot in the dark as you can't truly test them out before buying as they could potentially sound quite different from the universal version. I guess that's just the risk you have to take with CIEMs. A shame that the UK does not offer many CIEMs though as most are from the US and so I would have to deal with import taxes etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back