CIEMs for protection at shooting range?
Nov 28, 2016 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

switchface

New Head-Fier
I responded to a post in the Over Ear forum, but figured I should post here.

I'm a new shooter and want to protect my hearing.  I've heard good things about the Peltor line and even better things about the Sordins, but had an idea...

I've always wanted a nice set of Noble CIEMs but didn't think they'd be worth the cost to me given that when I'm using a portable rig, I'm mostly listening to Joe Rogan podcasts.  Figured that would be a waste of stellar equipment.  However, if the seal from a custom IEM would provide enough hearing protection, without having to wear a bulky over ear cup that could get in the way, maybe this a route that can work.  

Where I was thinking of taking the idea a step further was that maybe there is then a device (or app?) that you could pair up with the CIEMs to mimic the Peltor/Sordin technology?  For those unaware, they don't cancel all noise, they are designed to get rid of the sharp crack of the weapon firing, but let through, or even amplify, voices.  This way you protect your hearing, but can still hear your instructor or fellow shooter's voices.

TL;DR  can CIEMs + device/app = the ultimate in hearing protection while yielding sonic music benefits?

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 4
  I responded to a post in the Over Ear forum, but figured I should post here.

I'm a new shooter and want to protect my hearing.  I've heard good things about the Peltor line and even better things about the Sordins, but had an idea...

I've always wanted a nice set of Noble CIEMs but didn't think they'd be worth the cost to me given that when I'm using a portable rig, I'm mostly listening to Joe Rogan podcasts.  Figured that would be a waste of stellar equipment.  However, if the seal from a custom IEM would provide enough hearing protection, without having to wear a bulky over ear cup that could get in the way, maybe this a route that can work.  

Where I was thinking of taking the idea a step further was that maybe there is then a device (or app?) that you could pair up with the CIEMs to mimic the Peltor/Sordin technology?  For those unaware, they don't cancel all noise, they are designed to get rid of the sharp crack of the weapon firing, but let through, or even amplify, voices.  This way you protect your hearing, but can still hear your instructor or fellow shooter's voices.

TL;DR  can CIEMs + device/app = the ultimate in hearing protection while yielding sonic music benefits?

here custom active plugs with custom in ear options/ detachable cord with sqrew thread  and gunshot suppression
http://ambient-acoustics.ua/eng/individualnye-berushi/ambient-acoustics/huntersound-i-2-pcs.html

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 4
Interesting.  Looks similar to what a shooting buddy showed me today, espamerica.com.  Apparently they are considered the holy grail to competition shooters, but their price certainly reflects that.

I'm not familiar with the Ukraine brand you suggested, but I see they make these shooting-specific CIEMs and other models for music.  Am I reading the bullet points (no pun intended) correctly in that I can use the Hunters active sound processing for hearing protection while shooting, but then attach cables to use the units to listen to music?

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 4
  Interesting.  Looks similar to what a shooting buddy showed me today, espamerica.com.  Apparently they are considered the holy grail to competition shooters, but their price certainly reflects that.

I'm not familiar with the Ukraine brand you suggested, but I see they make these shooting-specific CIEMs and other models for music.  Am I reading the bullet points (no pun intended) correctly in that I can use the Hunters active sound processing for hearing protection while shooting, but then attach cables to use the units to listen to music?

in construction of HunterSound electronic eaarplugs AmbientAcoustics lab insert two contact plug with sqrewthread (unique plugs for CIEMs). So, youcan plug cord with mic (or without mic) for connection source with 3,5 plug. Electronic suppression in such way also workig. HunterSound custom electronic earplugs construcion with 2 sound bores (first bore for gunshot supression, second for music listenning canal). If size of your ears will be anough, two driver system can be placed in one shell!     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back