CIEMs for metal (Death/Tech/Folk) under 1k?
Jan 12, 2019 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to get my impressions done, and I want to start thinking about Custom in-ears. I'm not willing to spend a fortune; definitely sub 1k USD, most-likely sub 600.

I'd like a pair with good fit for heavy music; good instrument clarity, great mids for those vocals and guitar tones, and decent but never-boomy bass to keep clarity and the low-end out of the way of other frequency.

I'm considering the Jomo Haka and the FIBAEs but I'm open to any other models I've not-yet read about.

Any suggestions are hugely appreciated; thanks!

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 9
From your signature, it looks like you don't have any IEMs, so instead of taking a plunge in the deep end, take some baby steps and get a Massdrop Plus IEM first.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I've not been keeping it updated :) Here's what I have around:

* iBasso IT01
* Massdrop Plus (borderline impossible to find any fit with any of the tips I tried; I don't even know how they sound...)
* Massdrop x Noble X (pleasant tone but hard to fit)
* Westone W20s (fit but are quite bright/treble-focus)
* Massdrop x NuForce EDC3 (probably the closest thing to an everyday IEM I will eventually use but I'm good for an update tone-wise)
* Campfire Audio Lyra II (great, great tuning, but really don't fit)
* Klipsch X10s (not sure if I got rid of those already or not... may be worth digging out for kicks, these were fun-sounding earphones)

My left ear-cannal is much narrower than my right, so I need to use mismatched tips on large-nozzle IEMs. On smaller nozzle earphones such as the Westones or the EDC3 it's less of an issue, but those tips don't fit on the IEMs I actually would want to use everyday (again, exception being the EDC3 but it's a $99 earphone, an upgrade would be cool).

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Like I said, baby steps to getting CIEMs. Even with ear impressions, different companies tune their CIEMs differently with different driver configurations, some companies use acrylics that will become more rigid after drying, etc.

Jan 17, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Interesting suggestion, why those?

I actually just got my impressions done.

Shoot Piotrus at Custom Art a pm, or post on the fibae thread. I've a suspicion that he might recommend the 2's to you for that sort of thing. Could be wrong there. That or the blacks anyway.

Have fun choosing.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 9
If you happen to find yourself looking at the Noble line again, the Dulce Bass may be exactly what you are looking for and it is offered in custom form starting at $699. If you're looking for something a little less bassy, but still musical and fun with great impact the Django may be a little out of your budget but a better fit.

Always take your time going through head-fi impressions. Let me know if I can assist in anyway, have fun choosing!

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks all! For the record; I was at NAMM last week, and randomly stumbled across both InEarz and Ultimate Ears booth which were running some serious discounts...
I left the show having bought nothing guitar-related (my reason for being there), and with 2 x Custom IEMS!
* InEarz Euphoria with Adel
* Ultimate Ears UE7s CSX (same drivers as the Pros, but with a less shallow impression and insertion. Also comes with a non-Bax and Bluetooth cable... which is actually ok, since the InEarz will come with a SuperBax cable where the T2 connector is compatible with the UE's IPX!)

If I don't like either of, I can return them. I am hoping either/both will be good enough that I can get rid of ALL my universals (Massdrop Plus, Massdrop x Noble X, Massdrop x NuForce EDC3, Westone W20, iBasso IT01, Campfire Audio Lyra II, er... maybe there's more?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back