CIEMs as Earplugs?
Mar 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Enders

New Head-Fier
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to use CIEMs as earplugs?

I am aware that custom earplugs can be made as well, but what if I use my CIEM and wear it with without the cables or with cable but without music, and just use them as earplugs, is it a sensible thing to do? And how would be the best way to do it, without the cables or what??

Thanks for your help guys!

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but is it possible to use CIEMs as earplugs?

I am aware that custom earplugs can be made as well, but what if I use my CIEM and wear it with without the cables or with cable but without music, and just use them as earplugs, is it a sensible thing to do? And how would be the best way to do it, without the cables or what??

Thanks for your help guys!

I don't have full on CIEMs, but my custom pads definitely drown out a fair bit of sound once they are both on. Maybe they won't have as much isolation as proper ear plugs, but that depends on what you need them for.

Also, cables or not will be up to you. It is dependent on how vigorous you will be, how snug the fit is etc. Cable will be for safety in case anything happens. 

My two cents. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 11
Ok, that makes sense, but would using it without the cable do any harm? Like risk of sweat getting into the IEM and such, besides it falling out.

and does anyone actually do it??

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Ok, that makes sense, but would using it without the cable do any harm? Like risk of sweat getting into the IEM and such, besides it falling out.

and does anyone actually do it??

Your sockets will be exposed, so if you are in a humid or dusty environment, I would advise against it.

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 11
The custom ear plugs (no sound/speakers) I use under my helmet while motorcycling are essentially the silicone ear impressions that are made as the precursor for molding custom IEMs. Once the silicone is trimmed, they are relatively easy to insert/remove. I don't know the level of db reduction they provide, but they are VERY effective and very comfortable.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 11
I think silicon impressions provides a good isolation, but the CIEMs should be more effective, some brands say the isolation is up to -25/-26dB which is a very good mark and best earplugs rate at -25dB depending on filters.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks all who replied!! Appreciate your help a lot as I'm going to get my first CIEM soon and want to know what cool things I can do with it.

Just a question though, if I use my CIEMs without the cable, is it possible to cover the exposed sockets in any way on the IEM? Companies won't give you proper covers for them right?? Again I'm not sure about this, so I'm asking the experienced.

Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 11
I did use my ciems at a rock concert and the music was coming through at a comfortable volume. They hurt to use in bed if you lay on your side though. I've been planning on getting earplugs with Etymotic filters since they're supposed to have even attenuation across the frequencies but have been holding off since I don't attend loud concerts much. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah depend on how well you want your earplugs to perform.. if you want it to just quieten down things it might work, but a good earplug can attenuate all frequencies by same amount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back