ciems and occlusion, any solutions?
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Eudoxa

New Head-Fier
I've been using in-ear monitors for a while now and even went on to buy a custom set(ciem) but I've always had to contend with noises brought about by occlusion.  I never understood why people kept talking about the great levels of isolation that any in-ear monitors could achieve; the more isolation, the more occlusion so what was the point?

Eventually I accidentally broke my ciem and got a pair of er4ps and eventually got some comply T-100 tips (because the standard tips were too big).  The occlusion reduction I've achieved with this combo and deep insertion has been drastic.  This was silence as actual silence instead of you-can't-hear-people-talking-but-now-you-can-hear-your-footsteps-and-heartbeat-and-various-thumping-noises.  Some things I've noticed is that I can sprint, jump, talk and eat as I would normally do and not hear extraneous noises resonating in my ear all the time; I've seen posts talking about some of these things before usually with the response -- something along the lines of "give it time".

The reduction is pretty much the same as the difference between putting your fingers in your ears while enunciating a closed-vowel sound like 'eeeeeee', and putting your fingers in your ears  while enunciating a closed-vowel sound like 'eeeeeee' and really pushing them in until you stop hearing the resonating.  I decided at this point that the depth of the insertion was important.

Eventually I got annoyed by the small and narrow imaging of the er4p and the cable noise (I wore two shirt clips, the one included and another one, as well as sown a cable cinch onto it...like a baws) and decided to get another set of ciems.

The ciems sound good but now I have to contend with occlusion bleeding into the sound again and the thought "what's the point?" crosses my mind.  I can't move with it and can't listen to it just sitting down either.  So I got the ciem canals lengthened and it did help a significant amount (heartbeat and footsteps just a small problems now, others things mentioned still are problematic) but still isn't anywhere close to the universal.  I’ve tried comply softwraps to see if the foam was the major factor but it caused too much friction and I ended up scratching my ears up.  I’ve noticed that if I press the monitors into my ears so that the seal feels like all the air got sucked out then I can achieve something similar to the universal but I also get channel imbalance as well (I used ear lubricant so I could more easily attempt to make adjustments).

I'm going to reshell it one more time because of a small fit issue on one of them, but I don’t know what else to do about the occlusion and neither do the few audiologists I've spoken to.

So, do you ladies and gentlemen have any experiences with occlusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back