CIEM wearing comfort question
Jan 1, 2024 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Forever8895

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
I plan to make my first CIEM early this year. Had some chat with the local brand here, they pretty much advised me against going the custom route due to 2 main reasons: resell value and wearing comfort. Now let’s focus on the topic of comfort only. I read many posts regarding comparisons of UIEM vs CIEM, and all of them mentioned that a well-made CIEM is far more comfortable to wear. But the local rep here said that the contact area will become hot and will make your ear sweaty over long period. Also, with ciem you can't really adjust any aspects of the wearing comfort through the use of tips - which is understandable. My question is, do you experience any discomfort with your CIEM? Will the heat become a problem? For context, I only listen indoor, with room temperature maintained at 27 degree celcius. Thank you very much!

Jan 2, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Ear and body anatomy are individual and possibly the advisor may be taking into account your location? There is no one answer for what is temperature too warm. For example a room temperature maintained at 27 degrees Celsius would certainly be considered very warm for anyone used to the UK climate

Each manufacturer will have their own processes but in general if you want a more relaxed or looser fit, or a tighter fit able to stay locked when energetically screaming into a microphone, the manufacturer should be able to accommodate either fit.

If you have the money and patience, you could try a custom mould tip for a universal monitor or a custom earplug before fully diving into a custom IEM

For every poster with great experiences of CIEM, you will attract responses with negative experiences and there could be any number of reasons for that negative experience. Consider also head-fi has some, but not a lot of, touring or stage artists who have no reason to post on the internet they get on fine with CIEM

Read this important thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thi...-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi all,
I plan to make my first CIEM early this year. Had some chat with the local brand here, they pretty much advised me against going the custom route due to 2 main reasons: resell value and wearing comfort. Now let’s focus on the topic of comfort only. I read many posts regarding comparisons of UIEM vs CIEM, and all of them mentioned that a well-made CIEM is far more comfortable to wear. But the local rep here said that the contact area will become hot and will make your ear sweaty over long period. Also, with ciem you can't really adjust any aspects of the wearing comfort through the use of tips - which is understandable. My question is, do you experience any discomfort with your CIEM? Will the heat become a problem? For context, I only listen indoor, with room temperature maintained at 27 degree celcius. Thank you very much!

I have CIEM and honestly while it gives superior isolation and fits my ear like glove I would go universal route now. Comfort is good, but your ears will sweat, as well consider additional cleaning and change of sound if you move your jaw. Sometimes I have to wiggle one of my CIEM just to have correct amount of bass.

With Universal you just change ear-tips and call it a day, CIEM you will have to re-mold your ears and send to remake custom shell which will be far costlier and more time consuming.

Jan 2, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Ear and body anatomy are individual and possibly the advisor may be taking into account your location? There is no one answer for what is temperature too warm. For example a room temperature maintained at 27 degrees Celsius would certainly be considered very warm for anyone used to the UK climate

Each manufacturer will have their own processes but in general if you want a more relaxed or looser fit, or a tighter fit able to stay locked when energetically screaming into a microphone, the manufacturer should be able to accommodate either fit.

If you have the money and patience, you could try a custom mould tip for a universal monitor or a custom earplug before fully diving into a custom IEM

For every poster with great experiences of CIEM, you will attract responses with negative experiences and there could be any number of reasons for that negative experience. Consider also head-fi has some, but not a lot of, touring or stage artists who have no reason to post on the internet they get on fine with CIEM

Read this important thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/thi...-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit.578855/
Thanks for the link, that's very helpful! Will slowly read through this for the next couple days

I have CIEM and honestly while it gives superior isolation and fits my ear like glove I would go universal route now. Comfort is good, but your ears will sweat, as well consider additional cleaning and change of sound if you move your jaw. Sometimes I have to wiggle one of my CIEM just to have correct amount of bass.

With Universal you just change ear-tips and call it a day, CIEM you will have to re-mold your ears and send to remake custom shell which will be far costlier and more time consuming.
Yeah, the "fit like gloves" part is why I'm considering the ciem route, would love to have that "disappeared" feeling wearing custom. But I do worry about the heat buildup. I can sweat quite easily, and even though I try to mimic the European climate in my house, it can still get hot from time to time

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 6

That is a good shout on heat build up. Although if the air temperature or physical activity level is sufficient for heat build up then is there is practical difference between CIEM or universal fit, there is going to be heat build up either way just use a desiccant pod later. On "change of sound if you move your jaw", that 'reads like' imperfect impressions or CIEM build?

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 6
That is a good shout on heat build up. Although if the air temperature or physical activity level is sufficient for heat build up then is there is practical difference between CIEM or universal fit, there is going to be heat build up either way just use a desiccant pod later. On "change of sound if you move your jaw", that 'reads like' imperfect impressions or CIEM build?

It can definitely be because of imperfect molding sample and you won't be able to predict if you'll get a perfect seal. I think my ear canals changed as well so the fit is not as good as it used to, but in both cases if I open my jaw widely my inner ear shape shifts and I loose good seal with that sound quality degrades, especially bass. Both of my CIEM's goes deep into my ear canal so maybe different designs have different behaviour

Another note using CIEM's is that my ears gets tired quicker than with universal fit, but CIEM is still my main earphone to take with me while I'm jogging or hitting the gym. You just have to be careful outdoors while crossing streets, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back