CIEM vs IEM with ANC - Isolation
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

malifact

500+ Head-Fier
Hello, I have been looking for a new pair of IEMs for commuting and the gym and I was considering getting either the Bose QuietComfort Ultra or Sony WF-1000XM5 ear buds which both have Active Noise Cancelling (ANC). However, I have a pair of CIEMs which had very good isolation, but are currently a loose fit, as I lost a lot of weight over the last few years.

My question is purely from a noise isolation point of view, would I be better off getting the CIEMs reshelled (the company have confirmed they can do this) or getting the Bose or Sony ear buds? I should add that my CIEMs are acrylic shells but filled ones. Thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 4
I don't use iems outside or in noisy environments, but at the very least I can say that having loud clicks on my computer mouse I can easily hear them even with tight and thick eartips (Azla Sedna black) on uiems and I hear NOTHING with my ciems.

Edit: I haven't tried uiems with ANC

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 4
Doublepost

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Do you care about sound quality? If you do, stick with CIEMs.

If not, ANC does help if you are in very loud environs, but that noise cancellation interferes with the intended signal, and from what I remember of these headphones, they sound compressed and dull likely because they skimp on driver quality to fit the ANC tech and battery in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back