CIEM upgrade from RHA T20i
May 23, 2019 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Spamdunk

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I hope you are well and thank you for taking the time to click this post. I am looking for a recommendation for an upgrade from my RHA T20is which I've had for about 2 years now. They have been used almost daily at work and out of my multitudes of headphones, they genuinely sound the best for the music I like.
I exclusively use the reference filter and I've attached them to a set of Snugs custom molds which give me a fair, but not outstanding fit.
I listen to a wide range of music from rap to classic rock to female soul to jazz. However my go to music is euphoric trance (with lots of mostly female vocals)- think along the lines of Above and Beyond, Ferry Corsten, Richard Durand etc (Not fricking new Tiesto though!)
I like the RHA's for the bass impact, it sounds very clean and I don't find the treble too fatiguing. I have to boost the mid range a little bit when using my google pixel xl2 and I have it paired with a topping NX2 portable amp. My phone is my main audio source using power amp and 320kbps mp3s. I sometimes use spotify free for the other random music I want to listen to. I also plug the amp and phones combo into my laptop at work as well.

I am looking for a CIEM upgrade which has approximately the same sound signature. I have tried quite a few of the Jerry Harvey range and my favourite one (although not perfect) are the Pro16V2. I thought it was almost there - I was a little put off by the mid range and it sounded a little "woolly" I didn't like Roxanne for example - really thin sounding.

I also quite liked the Sony IER Z1R, which also had a pleasing sound signature for my ears. (but not CIEM)

I would like to go down the CIEM route as I find it very difficult to get the correct seal with most silicon tips and I feel that Comply Foams are great, but can affect the SQ and as I get quite sweaty ears I have to replace them every 4-6 weeks or so which does get quite expensive.

Budget is not an issue!

(my other headphones are sony 1000XM3 for long distance travelling, V-moda Crossfade wireless 2 (aptx, wired mode) for DJ work, Audio-Technica Pro700 MK2 for DJ work, Fiil Diva (Canviis) wireless for the gym (actually really like this sound sig too!), Sony WF1000X for short distance travelling.)

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to hear back from some of you soon.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back