CIEM Material?
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

miT

100+ Head-Fier
Quick question for all: are all CIEMs made of silicone?

One of the exhibitors at CanJam recommended me against their CIEM version as "anything you do (eating, moving, etc.) unseats them"...?

I have been using ACS custom tips on my ER4PTs for years and never had any problem. Could this be due to being made of resin? I have never asked as I took it for granted that all would be. 🤷

Thanks

Jul 31, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 6
The 64Audio A12t I have is made of acrylic resin, feels like very hard plastic.

Not sure I’ve eaten a meal with them in, but I’ve done plenty of videoconferences and phone calls with them, talking is not a problem at all.
They are made for stage performers after all, who are likely to be singing when using them.

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 6
To add to this, I think this also depends on the individual.
For some people the ear canal changes shape more than for others when opening the mouth.
Also I think you can discuss this with most ciem manufacturers as sometimes they decide on closed Vs with bite block impression to counter this.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 6
Quick question for all: are all CIEMs made of silicone?

One of the exhibitors at CanJam recommended me against their CIEM version as "anything you do (eating, moving, etc.) unseats them"...?

I have been using ACS custom tips on my ER4PTs for years and never had any problem. Could this be due to being made of resin? I have never asked as I took it for granted that all would be. 🤷

Thanks
most CIEMs are made from acrylic, which is quite hard (i have dropped my customs a few times and its fine)

just like @Spie1904 said, you can discuss with your ciem manufacturer/maker about how to take the molds. Personally did mine without a bite block, and just left my mouth open, since i wasnt going to use them for stage use.

About your point the CIEMs moving out of your ears: i am able to move the muscles near my ears, and in turn move my ears slightly. Even with that amount of movement, my customs still stay pretty tightly in my ear.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 6

I have 2 CIEMs and I'm not able to break the seal when dropping my jaw all the way down. I feel some very slight movement on the right side when doing this but it doesn't break the seal anyways. Moving my head, eating, etc, is no issue while wearing my CIEMs.

I had my impressions done with a 2" bite block and very gently biting on the bite block (i.e. don't clench your jaw).

most CIEMs are made from acrylic, which is quite hard (i have dropped my customs a few times and its fine)

They can vary in thickness depending on the company as well. My FiR XE6 CIEM shells are thicker than my Empire Ears Odin CIEM.

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had never thought about it before he said at the show, because my ACS custom tips are silicone and flexible so just assumed all CIEMs were too.

Good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back