CIEM how much is stickign out too much?
Nov 22, 2020 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KenCCZ

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, new to the forum, just got the ciem from 64 audio, for a very small ear canal, was wondering if this is considered sticking out too much?
Besides the Sensaphonics seal test what would be good reference to how good the seal is for -15db module? Should I be hearing myself typing on the keybaord, hearing water running when tap turned on etc?

DJUQB0E.jpg

XDoBm07.jpg

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi guys, new to the forum, just got the ciem from 64 audio, for a very small ear canal, was wondering if this is considered sticking out too much?
Besides the Sensaphonics seal test what would be good reference to how good the seal is for -15db module? Should I be hearing myself typing on the keybaord, hearing water running when tap turned on etc?
To me, they look like they are sticking out of your ears more than is typical, but if your ears in general are very small, it may have been necessary to fit all of the drivers. Which 64 Audio model is that? -15dB is not that much attenuation, so being able to hear some typing/running water doesn’t seem abnormal. Have you you tried the -20dB module? When you smile big or open your mouth, do you ear an increase in ambient noise? How does the fit feel?

Nov 22, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 5
To me, they look like they are sticking out of your ears more than is typical, but if your ears in general are very small, it may have been necessary to fit all of the drivers. Which 64 Audio model is that? -15dB is not that much attenuation, so being able to hear some typing/running water doesn’t seem abnormal. Have you you tried the -20dB module? When you smile big or open your mouth, do you ear an increase in ambient noise? How does the fit feel?

Thanks for the reply. That is true, is the a12, so could be that. Yes, it came in with the -20db module, I seem to be getting a better seal at first, almost couldn't hear myself speak, now with the -20db module, I could still hear myself speak. When I smile or open my mouth, eat, drink, ambient noise seem to stay about the same. The fit feels better after a couple days.
Left ear seems a bit tighter but also the end of the tip seems to be a bit harsher and the right ear seems a bit looser but is more comfortable.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply. That is true, is the a12, so could be that. Yes, it came in with the -20db module, I seem to be getting a better seal at first, almost couldn't hear myself speak, now with the -20db module, I could still hear myself speak. When I smile or open my mouth, eat, drink, ambient noise seem to stay about the same. The fit feels better after a couple days.
Left ear seems a bit tighter but also the end of the tip seems to be a bit harsher and the right ear seems a bit looser but is more comfortable.
As long as the ambient noise doesn’t change with eating, speaking, face movements, it doesn’t seem like the seal is breaking. Oftentimes at first, the fit is very tight, and perhaps uncomfortable. This can cause your ears to tense up, affecting how you hear things. It improves as your ears adjust to the fit. Also, in general, the more plugged you ear canals are, the louder your own voice seems due to bone conduction, though all external noise is more hushed.

Probably the best thing to do is wear them for several more days, and if you are still concerned about the fit, call 64 Audio.

Nov 23, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 5
As long as the ambient noise doesn’t change with eating, speaking, face movements, it doesn’t seem like the seal is breaking. Oftentimes at first, the fit is very tight, and perhaps uncomfortable. This can cause your ears to tense up, affecting how you hear things. It improves as your ears adjust to the fit. Also, in general, the more plugged you ear canals are, the louder your own voice seems due to bone conduction, though all external noise is more hushed.

Probably the best thing to do is wear them for several more days, and if you are still concerned about the fit, call 64 Audio.

I see, they do seem to get more comfortable, and ambient noise doesn't change as far as I can tell. I messaged 64 audio and was told it seem like is sticking out a bit much also, so.. might as well get refit within the 30 days warranty, hopefully it doesn't make it worse :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back