CIEM and IEM
Oct 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lsc04361

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a new IEM and I am choosing between a universal one or custom one.

So I have read that mostly CIEM will sound better than the universal in the same price range. It might somehow because CIEM provides better seals hence better response for various frequency range.

But how come? From the manufacturing cost point of view, a CIEM must got a higher cost as they cannot be mass produced. So for the same price level, it seems that universal one can put more resources to other components, the driver or even the cable, than the CIEM.

By the way, I am considering the Shure 535 and the 1964 V3, any thought guys?

Thanks!

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 16
Well I am in no way an expert so what I'm about to say is purely based on opinion. I've heard the shure not that 1964 one but imo the shures represent "yesterday's paper" they where good a few years back but today...? No, they don't perform on par with their price, unless your after that certain shure-mids, which I don't enjoy. Describe what you're looking for sound signature wise and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 16
For CIEMs, you'd typically need to go higher up on the pricing scale as you'll have to factor in the manufacturing costs for the custom-made shell and workmanship fees. If you go too budget, not a lot of your money goes into the sound itself, which is why I say single-bore single driver/dual driver solutions are almost always not worth it. You might as well get a good universal at that point.

However, once you go high enough in the price range where these costs are less significant, I'd say that CIEMs typically outperform UIEMs due to the fit, isolation and driver real-estate.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 16
Well I am in no way an expert so what I'm about to say is purely based on opinion. I've heard the shure not that 1964 one but imo the shures represent "yesterday's paper" they where good a few years back but today...? No, they don't perform on par with their price, unless your after that certain shure-mids, which I don't enjoy. Describe what you're looking for sound signature wise and I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction

Thanks for the advise man. I prefer a natural sounding headphone, maybe a little bit warm with a punchy bass, but not overwhelming one.
I have the meze 99 classic sealed headphone(ya i know its hard to compare full-sizecan with iem) and i like that sound.

Anyway, i shall do more research then ask for advise. Thanks.

Oct 30, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 16
For CIEMs, you'd typically need to go higher up on the pricing scale as you'll have to factor in the manufacturing costs for the custom-made shell and workmanship fees. If you go too budget, not a lot of your money goes into the sound itself, which is why I say single-bore single driver/dual driver solutions are almost always not worth it. You might as well get a good universal at that point.

However, once you go high enough in the price range where these costs are less significant, I'd say that CIEMs typically outperform UIEMs due to the fit, isolation and driver real-estate.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you think 500usd is high enough? Though its somewhat a entry level for ciem.

Oct 30, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 16
It could be, but it really depends on the model that you're going for. Most CIEMs in the 500USD bracket tend to be triples with a select few in quad territory. Though ultimately the thing to look out for is sound signature more than anything.

If you want something a little warm and a little bassy, I'm going to need you to define what "a little" is. Also, these things are so subjective to the point where you can ask ten people and they'll give ten answers. I'd personally shoot for my own A3H since it's both warm and bassy, but as I've said it *may* be too much for you. Or it may be perfect. Who knows.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 16
It could be, but it really depends on the model that you're going for. Most CIEMs in the 500USD bracket tend to be triples with a select few in quad territory. Though ultimately the thing to look out for is sound signature more than anything.

If you want something a little warm and a little bassy, I'm going to need you to define what "a little" is. Also, these things are so subjective to the point where you can ask ten people and they'll give ten answers. I'd personally shoot for my own A3H since it's both warm and bassy, but as I've said it *may* be too much for you. Or it may be perfect. Who knows.

A3h seems to be a solid build. I shall give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 16

A3h seems to be a solid build. I shall give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Do read my review and carefully consider the red points that I put out. A CIEM is a rather locked-in investment and it's best to scour around for all possible options as you wouldn't want to jump into something that is sonically incompatible with your preferences.

Oct 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 16
Do read my review and carefully consider the red points that I put out. A CIEM is a rather locked-in investment and it's best to scour around for all possible options as you wouldn't want to jump into something that is sonically incompatible with your preferences.

Thanks. Really appreciate your advice. I will try all the options before buying one.
Btw, as a good ear impression is very important for making a ciem, anything i should note about that?

I'm in Hong Kong and i Google some local place to do an impression. But it seems the service here varies in quality, and i could only choose one based on local review, which arent many.

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 16

Thanks. Really appreciate your advice. I will try all the options before buying one.
Btw, as a good ear impression is very important for making a ciem, anything i should note about that?

I'm in Hong Kong and i Google some local place to do an impression. But it seems the service here varies in quality, and i could only choose one based on local review, which arent many.

Jaben has a Hong Kong outlet, so you'd have a lot of demo sets to try I'd bet. Lear is also a great option since you can get it cheaper where you're from.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 16
Jaben has a Hong Kong outlet, so you'd have a lot of demo sets to try I'd bet. Lear is also a great option since you can get it cheaper where you're from.

Sure. I mean for making the ear impression, anything i should watch out for?
I have watch a few videos about making a good ear impression. Just wondering if theres any way to determine whether the audiologist is good at it or not, before actually made one and found that the ciem need to be refitted.

Oct 31, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 16
img_comment%2FNJwsBg2yQT6JrZuLj2Tv_AAW_Ear_Impressions_Instruction.png

img_comment%2FqdibSKKSSROjEqi86qiZ_AAW_Ear_Impressions_demo.jpg

img_comment%2FMgc9VfIDQcOHcwcVgzmg_AAW_Ear_Impressions_Views.jpg

img_comment%2FyP5EoPZT1evXJseeTWxO_AAW_Ear_Impressions_Comparison.jpg

These should be very useful to you.

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #15 of 16
What i did was find an iem that I really liked. After using it for a while I had customs shells made for it. I am a very happy camper/listener.

I have considered that, but making shell cost a bit as well. And i think ciem manufacturer to better balance the acoustic effect of the canal of the shell maybe?

Anyway, i think thats a good way to utilize the most out of a universal iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back