CIEM $1k - Electropop, Rock, Hiphop, female vocals
Nov 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

endus

Head-Fier
Would really appreciate any recommendations people may have. I've been researching a ton but would like some input.

Background: I had been using my LG V20 with Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros for several years. Was fairly happy with the sound. I bought a Samsung Note 9 and the lack of the LG DAC was disappointing, so I bought a Fiio Q5. Decided that it was a good time to take another look at my portable rig and get better isolation from my fellow train passengers on my commute. Bought Audio Technica LS200s, which I really like. Also bought some Etymotic ER4SRs (I had meant to get the XRs) which have great isolation but the sound definitely lacks body. The silicone ear tips are too painful and I have to use the foam.

In the past I've owned AT ATH-A900s (love, very smooth and non fatiguing), several other AT clip ons (all pretty good), Westone 3s (meh). I tend not to like Sennheisers for some reason. My high end audio endeavors have been more on the speaker side than on the headphone side, though.

Music: I listen to a little of everything but I am really stuck on Electropop/Jangle pop the last few years. Best Coast, Warpaint, CHVRCHES, Metric, Phantogram, Lucius, etc. Female vocals are obviously SUPER important. I do also rotate through Megadeth, stuff like The Grouch (hiphop), some classic and alt rock.

Preferences: I like headphones that are revealing. The LS200's with Lucius' Wildewoman was eye-opening. Really nice bassy organic sounding instruments and ability to pick the two vocals apart. I wouldn't say I am a bass head, but the ER4SRs are definitely not adequate in the low end. I can't deal with super bright sound, I need to steer clear of any sibilance, but a little bit of sparkle in something like the synths on CHVRCHES' Playing Dead is nice. Solid mids for guitars on Megadeth. Need to avoid fatigue for sure.

Other stuff: Isolation! I cannot deal with people's cell phone conversations on the train anymore! I also fly a bit for work. Build Quality is also crucial since these will be used every day. Despite my headphone hopping lately I am a buy once cry once guy. I don't want to be trading in earphones for the next 6 months.

I'm open to any suggestions but I've been reading a lot and this is what I've been looking at:

InEarz Euphoria - Not a ton of reviews out there for InEarz, but it seems like the sound profile would fit me really well. I'm leaning heavily this way. I would like to not move up to the Nirvana but if enough people tell me I just have to I probably will. I do like the idea of the ADEL module...I may have caused myself a little problem with the ER4's and the safety factor would be nice. Maybe get the manually variable one so I can lock down the isolation or open them up for better sound stage.

Lime Ears Model X - Seems like it could fit

64 Audio A6t

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 4
If you are concerned about comfort and isolation, you may want to consider a universal. . You may be surprised that both comfort and isolation are superior with a universal for you. Maybe a Campfire Vega? If you need less bass, an Andromeda possibly? Maybe read about them and see what you think.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 4
If you are concerned about comfort and isolation, you may want to consider a universal. . You may be surprised that both comfort and isolation are superior with a universal for you. Maybe a Campfire Vega? If you need less bass, an Andromeda possibly? Maybe read about them and see what you think.

Huh. I guess I figured that comfort and isolation would be the two best reasons to go with a custom...haha!

I was definitely looking at Campfire Audio. I was thinking about the Orions before my budget expanded, but was concerned about isolation with the shallower insertion. Now that I know the Ety's are too deep maybe it's worth another look. I had looked at the Equinox for a CIEM but that's just too much $$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back