CIAudio VDA-2 arrived!
Jan 8, 2008 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after the comments I've heard about this DAC (even though there weren't that many people that had it), I just had to try it out. I ordered it on the 26th and it got here on January 7th (I live in Canada). I've been spending the last 3 hours listening right after coming home and taking it out and so far on my speakers, it has been quite good. Comments below:

-Smoother than my previous DAC (Panasonic XR-55 digital stage and Zhaolu D2.0)
-Sound is very clear and crisp
-Bass has a lot more authority than what I had before, it just seems... powerful and has a hard-hitting feel to it
-The vocals sound different than what I had before, a bit more toned down is the feeling that I get, but I can't quite place my finger on what it is exactly that has changed so I will need more listening
-Seems like a good complement to my Audio-Technica A900 LTDs so far, but I don't think the sound paired with my DT880s is quite as good, feels a little too mellow (will also need a bit more listening on my DT880s as I've only listened on those phones for a few minutes and not been immediately wowed)
-At this point, it feels like my speakers are really the limiting component in my speaker chain

Well, back to listening! Maybe if I can borrow my friend's camera, I will have some pictures of my setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 11
That's an excellent DAC! Excellent choice! I had it before 840c. Did you also get the VAC1 PSU? It will make slight difference in bass depth and overall treble smoothness in demanding music. You also have added advantage of going balanced using two identical amps and two RCA interconnects
wink.gif

Yes...the A900LTD would be a wonderful coupled with VDA2. I also had A900LTD and missed it with VDA2. Senn cans are also good with VDA2. Grado and Beyers are not good with VDA2, IMO

Here was my "little" setup prior to my current setup
7e4e2222yt2.jpg

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 11
I didn't get the PSU as I couldn't justify the extra cost at the time. It might be in my future though, although I bet that I'm going to get shafted with $30 of shipping for it if I do buy it, which was around the shipping for this unit, but justifiable given that the unit cost was high.

Also, that setup of yours is pretty crazy. I thought it was huge, but given the size of these units, even 6 of them is not huge at all.

@SK138: You should know that your comments were in part what convinced me to drop (what I consider to be) bucket loads of cash, so I'm blaming you.
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 11
Doh!!! I will take that as Head-Fi compliment to make you spend your hard earn money
wink.gif

I am glad you are enjoying VDA2...it's too bad it's under rated here. If I were to get another DAC for second system...I would not hesitate getting VDA2 again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@SK138: You should know that your comments were in part what convinced me to drop (what I consider to be) bucket loads of cash, so I'm blaming you.
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 11
If I was Grado kind of person, I would have done same as you and save up $$$ to get one of the most beautiful headphone of all time...Grado HP2
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys just never give-up, I almost bought SK138's set when it was for sale (Sorry for not responding...) and now the idea of buying one is just stronger than ever !!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
If I was Grado kind of person, I would have done same as you and save up $$$ to get one of the most beautiful headphone of all time...Grado HP2

tongue.gif
That's basically what I'm doing but I need a decent source for my SR100 so a VDA2 without the VAC1 is probably in my near future.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure you let it burn in plenty. I was thinking about getting it but decided to save and go for the Azur 840c, which is a much better DAC.

It is..? How so?

I mean look at these charts.. Bring the linearity chart to the center of your screen, move your head close so it stretches to the outer limits of your peripheral, focus, slightly cross your eyes and in about 5-8min you should see what the heck I’m talking about.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/vda2-owns-219063/

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 11
I've got a VDA-2 as well, based on the comments here and the sparse reviews I found scattered on the internet. I got it back in October 2007. The dual inputs and outputs is great and the option of balanced is pretty tempting. SK138, you don't know the dirty ideas for balanced you've put in our minds.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Sure I did
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGLDyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SK138, you don't know the dirty ideas for balanced you've put in our minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back