CIAudio VDA-1 + VAC-1 vs. ?
Oct 15, 2006 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a proper (i.e. non-iPod) source, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. My current home rig consists of a Dynahi, Millett, and RS-1s (with said iPod as source). The Channel Islands Audio VDA-1 has been suggested by a couple of people as being good value on the used market, and I'm currently in touch with someone selling one with the VAC-1 and "Revelation Audio Labs" cable for around $400. I have been doing some DAC research on head-fi, but it is hard to get impressions of the VDA-1 vs. other DACs, as it's discontinued.

The price is a little steep, but a bit better than you might think, as the seller is also Canadian (I avoid 14% tax and $25 shipping). I am giving some serious though to selling my Millett and just sticking with the Dynahi to help finance it. I would love to hear from anyone who has compared it with other similarly-priced DACs. Is this something I should be looking at, or would my money be better spent elsewhere? This will likely be my last major purchase for my headphone setup, as I am really trying to concentrate on my photography gear, so I would like to get something I can stick with.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 4
Oct 15, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 4
i used to own the modwright VDA1/VAC1 combo with the upgraded umbilical cord. it was fed by a rotel 855 via coax, to an RA-1/RS-1 combo...i loved the VDA1/VAC1 and found it to be warm and engaging, while retaining its speed and punchiness. great tight bass.

i see that you have an RS-1...i really liked the VDA1 with the RS-1, but certainly the amp also matters. at $400 for the whole set, i don't think that is steep at all compared to other DACs in the same range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back