Ciao from Italy
May 4, 2017 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Genoa1893

New Head-Fier
Hi all folks!

For some years I've been listening through loudspeakers. Now a new flat and a smaller room strongly suggest me to consider a good headphone setup. I mainly listen to classic music (orchestra, chamber, baroque), but also Dire Straits. My pre is not a dedicated headphone pre but it should be fine (an oldie goodie Accuphase), so any advice for a poor man audiophile headphone is warmly welcome!

What about a pair of T90?

Regards from Italy!

Stefano

May 5, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Lot of questions! So, around 350 usd mark, my Accuphase is a pre, I plan to simply use its headphones output. Many sources (squeezebox, cd, turntable!). I think I would prefer an open headphone. Thank you!

May 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 16
I think a new T90 is going to be beyond budget, possibly. Maybe a used one would work. I actually sthink you should look into an HE400S--it is fantastic for classical. Extremely comfortable. Doesn't require an amp. Images nicely, nice instrument separation. Really nice. You might read about it and see what you think. It's possible it could work for you.

May 6, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 16
Hi serman005, thanks a lot for your advice!
I'll start digging info on it and on how to get one in Europe at a reasonable price since too often US items are overpriced here.
Many thanks again and have a nice weekend you all!

May 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 16
+1 on the HE-400S . Very good sounding and also comfortable.

May 7, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Yep, it seems the HE400S is very nice! And I thought planar "should" sound "quicker" than the powerful magnets of the "Tesla" but can't understand why the frequency response is so heavily "dampened" from 10KHz to 20KHz while Tesla tech seems more detailed...

May 15, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 16
Many thanks!

I just missed an apparently nice bulid of a O2 model with burson opamp.

Too base, here in Europe either schiit or O2 are not easy widespread and available, but I'll keep searching.

Stefano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back