Chromecast vs Chromecast Audio to hook to Receiver
Jul 6, 2017 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sheamus

New Head-Fier
I have a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver. I was thinking about getting a Chromecast Audio for, but for the same price I could get the Chromecast 2.0 and plug it into the HDMI on the receiver.

I get that the CCA gives me a little more flexibility in the devices I connect to, but I plan on only using it with my receiver. The regular (2.0) CC would allow me to use it for video as well.

Is there any other downside to the regular CC? Same audio quality? Work without TV on?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 3
No downsides that I'm seeing - the "Audio" seems tailored to hooking up to a boombox or some-such, whereas the CC and CC Ultra seem purpose-built for what you want to do. I'd go with that route, and just plug that into the HDMI input on the receiver. Additional upside: the receiver probably has better DACs than the "Audio."

Other thought: depending on what you specifically want to stream, some other device may already offer that functionality - e.g. it may be possible to do via Blu-ray player, smart TV, etc.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 3
Now that the ChromeCast 2.0 has fixed the 48kHz issue with firmware, is the audio quality of it the same as the ChromeCast Audio over optical? As long as there is no re-sampling, they should be equal if plugged into the same receiver (same DAC) right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back