Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Nov 13, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #526 of 560
I have tried using VLC on my iPhone to access the files on my HDD and cast to the CCA. It worked but the sound quality was horrid - like I am listening in a tunnel! I suspect the problem is the file is being streamed from my drive to my phone and then stream to the CCA. I also don't know if it's because the CCA DAC and the iPhone DAC are both being used .
Try BubbleUPnP. It is strictly a controller, the music never goes through your phone.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #527 of 560
Hello,

Newbie here, I have read through the last 5-6 pages and the first couple pages here. I picked up a CCA and am happy using it with Spotify. I use the analogue out and use a adapter cable to RCA into my integrated amp. Everything sounds fine.

I have started ripping my CD collections into FLAC and would like to (ideally) play those with the CCA as well. I have tried VLC Player casting and although I heard the blip (to indicate that my desktop computer is connected to the CCA) I don't hear anything and the time bar isn't moving (i.e. file not playing). The file plays fine locally. I have also tried playing the file on my Chrome browser and it plays fine. When I tried to cast it to my CCA, nothing happens. Interestingly, it casts fine to my Google Home speakers.

Finally, I have a handful of 24/96 FLAC files that I would like to listen to. How do I cast those? I have tried using Desktop Audio Streamer but I am uncertain it is streaming at 24/96 as the highest rate is wav at 44.1.

What's the easiest way to accomplish what I want? Thanks in advance!

Matthew
I have my music directory set up as a Network Share on the computer. I then set up Bubble UPnP controller app on my phone to access that Share. No need for any sort of server software. My Chromecast shows up in Bubble as an available renderer. The phone is then the controller and the music travels directly from the computer to the CCA. Plays 96/24 files bit perfect. Works great. Sounds great. I have my music files mirrored to Google Drive and BubbleUPnP very nicely plays music from there too.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #528 of 560
I just read some recent entries and it appears you may be using an iPhone. No BubbleUPnP available there, so my suggestion is not feasible. Then again, you could beg/borrow/steal an old Android from someone. Or buy a cheap one. I recently helped a friend set up a Tracfone model that was surprisingly decent, and it cost only $25 at Best Buy. He's used it for months as nis only phone and it works fine. Pretty cheap for a controller. You would not need to purchase any service, just use it as a WiFi device. Many get Amazon Fire tablets to use as controllers (I have one and it works great). This site shows the price for the 7" model sometimes drops to $30. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07FKR6KXF?context=search Bubble UPnP is available in the Amazon app store https://www.amazon.com/Bubblesoft-BubbleUPnP-UPnP-DLNA/dp/B01AANGKVY

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #529 of 560
I just read some recent entries and it appears you may be using an iPhone. No BubbleUPnP available there, so my suggestion is not feasible. Then again, you could beg/borrow/steal an old Android from someone. Or buy a cheap one. I recently helped a friend set up a Tracfone model that was surprisingly decent, and it cost only $25 at Best Buy. He's used it for months as nis only phone and it works fine. Pretty cheap for a controller. You would not need to purchase any service, just use it as a WiFi device. Many get Amazon Fire tablets to use as controllers (I have one and it works great). This site shows the price for the 7" model sometimes drops to $30. https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07FKR6KXF?context=search Bubble UPnP is available in the Amazon app store https://www.amazon.com/Bubblesoft-BubbleUPnP-UPnP-DLNA/dp/B01AANGKVY

Thank you Mark. I might do that. I had a Amazon Fire and sold it when I bought my iPad Mini.

Just to clarify, I have my HDD plugged in to my router and have it setup for network share - I can access the files from my iPhone, iPad, laptops, etc. I don't need to install any software whatsoever except for BubbleUPnP on the Amazon Fire tablet? And then I can use the tablet like a remote control to pick the songs I want to cast to my CCA and I can cast songs up to 24/96 which I understand is the max allowed from the CCA if I don't want to use a separate DAC? What music player would I use on the Amazon Fire? Like how do I pick the files to cast to the CCA?

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #530 of 560
Thank you Mark. I might do that. I had a Amazon Fire and sold it when I bought my iPad Mini.

Just to clarify, I have my HDD plugged in to my router and have it setup for network share - I can access the files from my iPhone, iPad, laptops, etc. I don't need to install any software whatsoever except for BubbleUPnP on the Amazon Fire tablet? And then I can use the tablet like a remote control to pick the songs I want to cast to my CCA and I can cast songs up to 24/96 which I understand is the max allowed from the CCA if I don't want to use a separate DAC? What music player would I use on the Amazon Fire? Like how do I pick the files to cast to the CCA?
BubbleUPnP is a full function music player. No other software needed. You open the app, select the Library option to point it to your network shares, and select your CCA as renderer. Then use the app pretty much like any other music player. You may want to peruse the settings to customize how the app and interface works, there are tons of them. True the CCA can only output 96/24, but I just tried it and it will actually play 192 files by down sampling them, of course your network has to be able to support transporting that bitrate. I am also pretty sure the CCA limit is 96/24 even when sent to an outboard DAC.

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #531 of 560
If you had a Fire you know they leave a lot to be desired when used as a general-purpose tablet. But when using them for specific purposes like a music controller, they can work as good as anything.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #532 of 560
Good discussion here. I use a CCA outputting to a HifiMeDIY S2 (Sabre 9038) DAC in my 2 channel stereo. I carry an iPhone 6S daily in my pocket, but have repurposed a Nexus 6 strictly as a remote/frontend for my stereo via Bubble UPNP/Spotify/Radio Paradise etc.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #534 of 560
For information, about Chromecast sound :

- Chromecast protocol allow both source and renderer to select a codec : PCM, MP3, FLAC, ...

- In case you cast local FLAC files directly : usually FLAC is transmitted untouched if the renderer can read FLAC, else the FLAC is decoded on the source and casted in PCM : you get FLAC quality.

- In case you cast local MP3 files directly : usually MP3 is transmitted untouched if the renderer can read MP3, else the MP3 is decoded on the source and casted in PCM : you get MP3 quality.

- In case you cast Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal, ... : the renderer get the files directly from the music service : AAC for Spotify, MP3 or FLAC for Deezer, etc... : you get exactly the quality of the music service.

- If you use the "share audio" (aka Smartview for Samsung, or Google Home Screen Sharing) : MP3 192kbps is used for casting : it means that no matter what quality you play while casting globally in "share audio" mode : the sound is reencoded in MP3 192. In case you play FLAC : you get 192kbps MP3 quality , In case you play AAC 256 : you get even worse : double LOSSY encoding.

So, Chromecast can be lossless for everything but the screen sharing : in this case, like for Bluetooth : you should never cast anything else than FLAC if you don't want your (for example AAC) file to be encoded once again in MP3 192, which is crappy double LOSSY encoding. Casting FLAC, even encoded in MP3 192 is not bad : not fantastic, but acceptable for most.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #535 of 560

h1p8r10n​

Thanks for posting this.

I will point out that if one is streaming local files from an Android device, and is concerned about audio quality, there's the app Hi-Fi Cast that sends bit-perfect streams to Chromecast. It will work to play files from DLNA/UPnP servers too, although the casting is done from the Android device, rather than directly from the server.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.findhdmusic.app.upnpcast&hl=en_US&gl=US

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #537 of 560
Oct 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #538 of 560
I use a heavily tweaked Chromecast Audio streamer in my main system, beside an exaSound Playpoint, because the Playpoint can't stream YouTube Music. The Chromecast dongle is connected to an UGREEN ethernet adapter, which turns off the noisy internal wi-fi radio. I recently added an iFi SPDIF iPurifier2, connected via Glass Toslink cable. Both Chromecast and iPurifier are powered by a Topping P50 linear power supply.

I tried converting from optical to coaxial by plugging the iPurifier directly into my exaSound e32 Mk II DAC, but this made the bass sound too fat. Staying with Toslink was easily beter, despite my long-held belief that coax is superior.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #540 of 560
Guys, how does the compression via chromecast compare to LDAC bluetooth, im guessing its better by a big margin?
.Compression like AAC or MP3 removes part of the data (music). Chromecast does not compress.

Chromecast Audio streams up to 24/96, regular Chromecast up to 24/48. No compression, but potential downsampling if the source exceeds these values, i.e. 192/24, DSD, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back