Chromecast audio - can anyone comment on sound quality?
Feb 9, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #362 of 560
Some mobo chipsets are known to resample internally on the way out, even if you get the format you wanted in the end.

I'm using a Z77 mobo, format is set to 16bit 44khz with all enhancements off, background processes have been terminated, Mojo and Hugo have a red light confirming the output is PCM 44khz. If it were resampled to anything else ,E.g 48 khz, the light would be orange not red.

I also have an Oppo BDP 105 which also has a toslink out and it to sounds a little different than the CCA but closer in sound to the CCA than the mobo.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #363 of 560
I'm using a Z77 mobo, format is set to 16bit 44khz with all enhancements off, background processes have been terminated, Mojo and Hugo have a red light confirming the output is PCM 44khz. If it were resampled to anything else ,E.g 48 khz, the light would be orange not red.

It could resample to say 48kHz first, then to 44.1kHz on the way out.

Feb 9, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #364 of 560
A bit off topic but interesting I hope:

RE: IFI SPIDIF iPurifier and similar......Do they make a difference.
I can answer that definitively. maxh22 would definitely hear an improvement. gvl2016 will not. Not because of what it does, but because of how we hear.

That is, if you are not doing a double blind test, then we all hear what we expect to hear. J.J. Johnson, an engineer with DTS has done a lot of work on audible perceptions, and has one of his discussions posted on youtube HERE. The most relevant section starts at about 1:00 minute in and goes til about 5:00 minutes in. The whole video of the panel discussion is interesting I think. Our brains are hard wired to always hear things in context. (google the McGurk Effect for proof).

For many years I sold audio components and was intrigued by the fact that almost none of the really expensive cables we sold ever got returned. I knew many of my customers did not have very discerning ears. Since these customers expected to hear improvements, they did. Today with digital sources this kind of discussion focuses more on DACs and digital conditioners, most of these sources measure incredibly well,and their sales also benefits I am sure from our expectations.

But that is also is part of the fun...and there is no way around how we perceive, so if it is in your budget and makes you happy go for it. Until manufacturer's provide proof with double blind testing, I will remain a skeptic on most of this stuff.

I can definitely hear the improvement when I correctly adjust CCA's tone controls. If that means its not bit-perfect, I will try not to let that bother me.

...Climbing off the soap box now. Watch the video, fascinating I think.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #365 of 560
Meh, I was the one who recently reported the improvements with the iPurifier. I didn't need a blind test to hear them as it wasn't one of those "maybe" cases. The sound is much more in focus with the iPurifier, the fuzziness is gone. Thing is the DAC I now use is almost 30 years old and has no jitter correction. Whatever clock is recovered from the SPDIF signal is used throughout the DAC so jittery sources IS an issue. Expensive modern DACs with DSP like those from Chord usually have built-in measures to deal with jitter, so there is no benefit to be realized with the iPurifier or very little. If one has the budget to give it a shot sure, just need to set the expectations right based on the rest of the gear.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #366 of 560
A bit off topic but interesting I hope:

RE: IFI SPIDIF iPurifier and similar......Do they make a difference.
I can answer that definitively. maxh22 would definitely hear an improvement. gvl2016 will not. Not because of what it does, but because of how we hear.

That is, if you are not doing a double blind test, then we all hear what we expect to hear. J.J. Johnson, an engineer with DTS has done a lot of work on audible perceptions, and has one of his discussions posted on youtube HERE. The most relevant section starts at about 1:00 minute in and goes til about 5:00 minutes in. The whole video of the panel discussion is interesting I think. Our brains are hard wired to always hear things in context. (google the McGurk Effect for proof).

For many years I sold audio components and was intrigued by the fact that almost none of the really expensive cables we sold ever got returned. I knew many of my customers did not have very discerning ears. Since these customers expected to hear improvements, they did. Today with digital sources this kind of discussion focuses more on DACs and digital conditioners, most of these sources measure incredibly well,and their sales also benefits I am sure from our expectations.

But that is also is part of the fun...and there is no way around how we perceive, so if it is in your budget and makes you happy go for it. Until manufacturer's provide proof with double blind testing, I will remain a skeptic on most of this stuff.

I can definitely hear the improvement when I correctly adjust CCA's tone controls. If that means its not bit-perfect, I will try not to let that bother me.

...Climbing off the soap box now. Watch the video, fascinating I think.

Thanks for linking the video, lots of relevant info for sure. Ironically enough, when I pulled the trigger on the Chromecast I had a negative expectation that its optical out would be just okay and its analog out would be muddy garbage and that it wouldn't even be worth listening to; imagine my surprise when the CCA didn't just meet my expectations but actually exceeded them on both fronts!
In other words, I had a negative bias going in and upon delivery and use of the product my feelings changed dramatically.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #367 of 560
It could resample to say 48kHz first, then to 44.1kHz on the way out.

I use Tidal exclusive mode which takes exclusive control of the Spdif driver, this avoids any windows processing.

Meh, I was the one who recently reported the improvements with the iPurifier. I didn't need a blind test to hear them as it wasn't one of those "maybe" cases. The sound is much more in focus with the iPurifier, the fuzziness is gone. Thing is the DAC I now use is almost 30 years old and has no jitter correction. Whatever clock is recovered from the SPDIF signal is used throughout the DAC so jittery sources IS an issue. Expensive modern DACs with DSP like those from Chord usually have built-in measures to deal with jitter, so there is no benefit to be realized with the iPurifier or very little. If one has the budget to give it a shot sure, just need to set the expectations right based on the rest of the gear.

Good point about it impacting DACs more that have little to no Jitter correction, I'm gonna give it some more thought and time before I buy it but its good to know Amazon has a thirty day return policy. :sunglasses:

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #369 of 560
I saw a few posts from several users recommending the IFI SPIDIF iPurifier, I might pick one of those up later on to further refine the sound but for now I am happy with the performance of the device :)
Something that has stopped me from getting an iPurifier is that Chromecast Audio doesn't support gapless playback, and I've read that the iPurifier makes it even worse. That and the thought of buying an accessory for the Chromecast Audio that costs over 4x as much as the CCA itself.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #370 of 560
^^^ That is certainly true. My DAC often goes crazy between songs with the iPurifier and CCA, blinking all lights. Fortunately not audible, there were reports of DACs making noise.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #371 of 560
Hi to everyone and thanks a lot for the very great thread. I am really sorry to jump in like this ... but is there any good soul that can direct me to the most extensive review in this huge thread focusing the CCA sound quality ? thanks a lot. Kind regards, gino

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #372 of 560
I'm tested the Chromecast Audio with the Android Tidal App yesterday. This is so simple and work with qobuz too because they both can handle Chromecast streaming. I connected the ifi idsd micro with spdif. The sound is top notch. i compared it to my raspberry roon endpoint and can't tell any diffrence.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #373 of 560
I see a that there is a new 2018 version of Chromecast Video that will probably be announced on Oct. 9. Apparently Target stores are currently closing out the CC audio.

Does this mean the Chromecast Audio will be updated or discontinued?

My guess is that it will be discontinued. Google is pushing their Home devices...like the Home Mini pretty hard. It now has bluetooth audio transmitting capability and for many non-audiophiles that may be all they want. They could also come out with a Google Mini version 2 with audio outputs (but I bet no optical outputs).

Would you be happy with an updated Mini? This thread in an audiophile community has slowed down a lot. Perhaps for many Bluetooth sound and functions are good enough.

Oct 2, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #374 of 560
I see a that there is a new 2018 version of Chromecast Video that will probably be announced on Oct. 9. Apparently Target stores are currently closing out the CC audio.

Does this mean the Chromecast Audio will be updated or discontinued?

My guess is that it will be discontinued. Google is pushing their Home devices...like the Home Mini pretty hard. It now has bluetooth audio transmitting capability and for many non-audiophiles that may be all they want. They could also come out with a Google Mini version 2 with audio outputs (but I bet no optical outputs).

Would you be happy with an updated Mini? This thread in an audiophile community has slowed down a lot. Perhaps for many Bluetooth sound and functions are good enough.

I hope this isn't the end for the CCA. It's such a useful and cost effective device.

Nov 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #375 of 560
Amazon will ship on Dec. 2 their shot at a Chromecast Audio like Alexa device with no built in speakers: Echo Input.

Pluses over Chromecast Audio: Alexa voice control functionality (with 5 mic array), Bluetooth (both source receive and audio transmit to speakers), access to Amazon streaming music services and interfacing with Alexa multi-room audio functionality.

Not so great is no digital output (3.5mm analog only), no current access to Tidal, Deezer or any HD audio services (and of course no Google/Youtube music) On the other hand, Amazon just made available the Alexa Audio Skill API which may allow for rapid deployment of new services (or not).

Price $35...which makes one wonder about any real advantages over a sale priced or Gen 1 Dot. However...the Echo Input page now shows bundles with 5 small self powered speakers from Bose, B&O and Marshall and others...where the bundle price gives you the Echo input basically free.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back