Chromecast Audio as Headphone amp.
Aug 12, 2020 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cmrheadphones

Head-Fier
Hello all

I have Chromecast Audio's all over my house and bought a number of spares so this is not too tricky to try.

I've done some goggling but still a bit confused!

I was reading that CCA's make fairly good headphone amps. How do they compare for using with a phone to say the Tempotec Sonata non pro that I am currently using?

I'm struggling with the chain of connections. I would need a powerbank of some sort presumably to power the CCA for use with a mobile. is a certain sort recommended?

What would be the best way to link up headphones, CCA and phone? struggling to get my head round this!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Sep 13, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Not sure what you mean by using chromecast as head amp here
Presumably, the CCA outputs a line-level signal (~2V) at full volume, so I guess you could plug in a 3.5mm terminated headphone and attenuate the volume digitally via a player.

Sep 13, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Presumably, the CCA outputs a line-level signal (~2V) at full volume, so I guess you could plug in a 3.5mm terminated headphone and attenuate the volume digitally via a player.
I can confirm that that does indeed work, I plugged-in my Grado Hemps straight into the CCA and it worked, no worries. I did need to turn the volume way down and there wasn't much usable headroom, but it's definitely an option as a small discrete streaming + amp device.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Technically you can do this, but I'd avoid it, especially with low impedance headphones. The analog output from a Chromcast Audio is designed as a line-level output and the output impedance is way too high for most headphones, which can negatively affect your sound quality.

The best way to use a Chromecast Audio with headphones would be to run digital output over an optical cable to a DAC, then from the DAC to a headphone amp. The 2nd best way would be to run analog output from a Chromecast Audio to a headphone amp, and connect your headphones to the amp.

So at the very least I'd pick up a cheap amp and add that to the chain between the CCA and your headphones. But really if you have a phone and a Tempotec Sonata I'd just stick with that

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back