Chrome Extension for Playback Controls for Online Music Services
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Phalangees

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I know it's pretty taboo to discuss listening to non-hifi sources in a place like this, but I'm guessing I'm not the only one who uses services like Pandora and Google Music when convenience wins me over.

With that said, I wrote a Chrome Extension to satisfy my needs that I wanted to share. Currently the following services are supported:
Code:
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)] •[color=black] 8Tracks [/color][color=black]• Amazon Cloud Player [/color][color=black]• AOL Music [/color][color=black]• Bandcamp (artist/album view only) [/color][color=black]• Deezer [/color][color=black]• DI.FM [/color][color=black]• Google Music [/color][color=black]• Grooveshark [/color][color=black]• HypeMachine [/color][color=black]• iHeart Radio [/color][color=black]• Last.FM [/color][color=black]• Mixcloud [/color][color=black]• Mog [/color][color=black]• Myspace [/color][color=black]• Pandora [/color][color=black]• Rdio [/color][color=black]• Sky.FM [/color][color=black]• Slacker [/color][color=black]• Songza [/color][color=black]• SoundCloud [/color][color=black]• Spotify (web player only) [/color][color=black]• Tunein [/color][color=black]• Twitter Music [/color][color=black]• Xbox Music[/color][/color]
The full up-to-date list can be found at the extensions page. You can also request for additional players to be supported and I can work on getting them added (or you can. It's open source!)

Essentially, what this extension allows you to do is control playback for any of those services, regardless of what window and tab it's playing from. You can see what's currently playing and perform relevant actions, like thumbs up and thumbs down.

Some other features:
Code:
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)] • Displays now playing information in Popup with playback controls • Opens a new tab for any player desired (set in options page) • Scrobbles to Last.FM (optional) • Displays artist and track on icon (optional) • Keyboard shortcuts for all popup actions (optional) • Displays pause indicator on the icon when a player is paused[/color]

Here's a screenshot so you can get a better idea:

I'm extremely open to feedback, so please let me know what you think! Here's the link: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/musicality/fjiolbglibkahkipcdgeepdfdgfkdbee.

Thanks for looking,
-Kyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back