Christopher O'Riley Plays Radiohead?
Oct 22, 2003 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hempcamp

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone heard of (or heard) this recent Sony release? My BMG Music page just listed it as a new release. Looks interesting:

"American concert pianist plays his own virtuoso solo piano transcriptions of 15 of the rock supergroup's greatest hits."

I usually don't like stuff like this (I hated the chamber music Beatles covers), but I have a thing for solo piano works.

--Chris

Oct 22, 2003 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

i've heard of it, but i really rather listen to radiohead play radiohead.

Of course the original is always best, but Jude played my a version of Paranoid Android by Brad Mehldau (spelling?) that was awesome in its own right. I guess you don't know until you try it.

Oct 23, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 11
I liked the O'Riley album a lot. If you like the sound of piano and you like radiohead, then I think you will really enjoy the album.

It has, in my opinion, more of a relaxed feel to it than is present in the original radiohead performances of the songs, and I find it a nice complement to the radiohead repetoire. (Makes it great for studying or just kicking back).

Personally, I was very impressed by the performance. I just can't imagine trying to play something like that. Immediately after hearing the album the first time, I remember thinking "Christopher O'Riley, you have won my respect."

That said, if you only like hearing radiohead play radiohead as only they can, you might not find this album to your taste. But then, if that were the case you probably wouldn't even be considering it in the first place.

--NJM

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by NathanJM
That said, if you only like hearing radiohead play radiohead as only they can, you might not find this album to your taste.

I think I'll definitely check it out.

Yeah, I'm not one of those people who refuses to listen to or appreciate or enjoy cover songs just because they are cover songs. Just that Bach-sounding Beatles is too much for me
smily_headphones1.gif

When someone takes the song from one genre or mood and transforms it in a creative way to another, I really enjoy it. Examples are Cash's version of Hurt, and the "i am sam" soundtrack with interesting twists by contemporary pop artists on age-old Beatles tunes. To me, that's what music is all about (before copyrights were invented, of course
rolleyes.gif
).

--Chris

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 11
I like re-interpretations like this in principle, but it drives me nuts when they feel the need to reproduce the singer's voice with a violin or sax or something. Of course, sometimes the vocal track is carrying a crucial element of the melody, particularly with Radiohead, but I'd rather just hear an instrumental version of the instrumental part of the song. Otherwize it becomes Muzak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back