Christmas Time, Help Me Out!
Dec 3, 2009 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Raez

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, here's the deal, and it's kind of odd.

I'm not sure if I want one headphone or several. Let's say my budget is...$800 (new or used) total, but really more like $600. I'd like one of the cans to be portable, and if you are only suggesting one...I won't say it "needs" to be...but it should be. If I could get anything, I'd get a pair of Edition 8s. One other thing to keep in mind is any money I don't spend on can go into a new amp/dac which I need. (For now, just an iBasso D3)

Here are some of the cans/combos I am considering, but please suggest me some more. For now, I'm ONLY LOOKING FOR STOCK, NOT RECABLED cans.
  1. AKG K702(new) + Audio Technica ESW9(new) + left over money for AMP/DAC
  2. Same as above, but maybe the HFI-780 in place of one of the two? (if you have either, please comment)
  3. Used D7000
  4. Used ATH-AD2000

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I could only listen to one can, it would be my D7000's.

I've spent a little more money and time tweaking them to my taste so they're not exactly stock, but they are really fantastic right out of the box.

Thanks for the response mate. How much would I need to spend on an amp to make 'em sound good? Or would my D3 be enough?

Also, let's throw in the ATH-AD2000 (used) to the mix.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response mate. How much would I need to spend on an amp to make 'em sound good? Or would my D3 be enough

The D7000 aren't terribly hard to drive despite their unusually low impedance. I've never tried mine in any sort of portable device. These are terribly ill-suited to on-the-go use however. The 1/4" plug means you'll either need an adapter or a recable. If you were dead set on taking them on the go, I'd opt for a recable, since the stock cable is pretty bulky.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about sound quality in a portable rig. As long as I can hear the music clearly and get some decent bass response, I'm happy. Which is why I haven't stepped up from my uber-cheap Koss plugs. But for home use, when I want to really get absorbed in my music, my D7000 and Little Dot MKIVse play very nicely together. No hair pulling or biting at all
tongue.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D7000 aren't terribly hard to drive despite their unusually low impedance. I've never tried mine in any sort of portable device. These are terribly ill-suited to on-the-go use however. The 1/4" plug means you'll either need an adapter or a recable. If you were dead set on taking them on the go, I'd opt for a recable, since the stock cable is pretty bulky.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about sound quality in a portable rig. As long as I can hear the music clearly and get some decent bass response, I'm happy. Which is why I haven't stepped up from my uber-cheap Koss plugs. But for home use, when I want to really get absorbed in my music, my D7000 and Little Dot MKIVse play very nicely together. No hair pulling or biting at all
tongue.gif

Ah great, I was looking at the Little Dot anyways. Thanks!

Keep 'em coming!
atsmile.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Any other opinions?

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 10
D2000 at less than 250 and a Head Amp pico dac/amp for 500

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 at less than 250 and a Head Amp pico dac/amp for 500

Don't really need another portable dac/amp. Thanks though!

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 10
I meant for your main gig. The DAC is a high end Wolfson and the D2000 are very easy to drive.

Dec 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I meant for your main gig. The DAC is a high end Wolfson and the D2000 are very easy to drive.

As good of things as I have heard about the Pico, I'm crazy, and therefor I want a big amp and DAC. Yes, I am referring to the actual physical sides. Yes, I need meds.
duggehsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back