Christmas portable setup
Dec 20, 2006 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

y0-

Head-Fier
I have a budget of about $400 I want to put into getting my portable setup going. I already own a 5.5g 80g Ipod. The $400 goes to headphones, dock, and amp. I have done a fair amount of forum snooping and research in the last couple weeks and this is the setup I have come up with.

Shure e4c IEMs

22 Gage ALO cryo-dock

Go-Vibe v5

With shipping that puts me right around at budget and is the best setup I could come up with. I haven't auditioned much of anything so I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on the setup. I listen to pretty much everything excluding country music. I love The Beatles, Louis Armostrong, Neil Young, etc. I currently use ATH-AD700s for my music and I like their open sound signature, albeit a little light on the bass. Thanks to anyone who checks out this thread!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 4
This is just a suggestion, but I would advise that you put the $400 into IEMs like the E500, UM2 Etc.

I did the same thing you did, then upgradis hit me and I sold off half my stuff to afford the E500's, and now I'm working up more for a Hornet and a ALO Copper Dock.. Unless you are absolutely sure you will be happy with the sound of that setup.

Dec 20, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Spending more on the interconnect than the Amp seems strange to me. I've normally seen people saying 10% on IC and around 40-50% for the Amp and headphones.

I would say get a Belkin IC and a better amp. Also buy used! I got my Shure E5's for 225.

-- David

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 4
I appreciate both of your comments and you guys both make alot of sense. I will put more towards the actual IEMs and take away from the IC. My new setup I am considering is -

UM2

Go-Vibe v5

Turbo Dock

Any thoughts on this setup? Is there a way I could be better allocating my budget on the setup? I am tempted to put more into the amp. Will it make a noticeable difference if I go up to a Total Airhead or such? Thanks again for the comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back