CHRISTMAS PHONES
Nov 27, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 21
Ideally, the following:

New recording gear:

MOTU HD192k.

Phones:

The W100 or W1000 -- whichever sounds better. I have every other headphone I need at the moment. The new Beyer 880 does look stupendous, but I'd have to sell something to justify the purchase.

Amp:

1. Either the Sugden or the RKV. I lean toward the latter. 2. Perhaps another Meta for home -- ideally with two headphone outs on the front panel and the best possible (non-portable) stacked/tweaked parts.

Source:

The Phillips 963A (if it proves to be as good as people say -- I'll have to hear it first).

I'd prefer the Linn Classik Movie system, but the price is steep.

Speakers:

1. For the music room: either Tannoy Reveals with a Reveal-X center or the B&W 602 series. (If you're a musician, Brian Kelly is a good man to talk to about such things.)

2. For the dinky bedroom: perhaps Aego P5s (though I don't like active speakers) or KHT 2005 or Gallos. But I'd rather combine my NS-10Ms with a few other speakers -- ideally Linn Unik speakers.

Thiel Powerpoints sound incredible, but they're out of my range.

Portable:

An iPod, of course -- though it isn't high on my list.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 21
Being extremely impatient, my Christmas presents are on their way.

A100Ti's from Louis Tucci and W1000's from Audio Cubes (if they ever ship).

My wife is used to this by now.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 21
w2002... why not w1000, u ask? cheaper, newer... well, all i can say is i'm a sucker for the lacquer
tongue.gif

ampwise, sugden headmaster or EMP... i'm leaning towards the sugden, but i've never actually owned my own tubes (plus, extra silky-smoothness never hurts
biggrin.gif
). i'm just dying to get into the whole tube-rolling thing...
smily_headphones1.gif

but unless santa really does exist... i won't be getting these anytime soon...
frown.gif

plan b: knock out all my teeth and pray the tooth fairy is still around...

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
check this thread out lobstersan. the only changes seem to be aesthetic.

Thanks Kin --

Now I remember that 880 thread...

I always thought the DT770 and DT770 Pro were the same thing.

Any DT770-250 will do for me. Got that santa (if you're out there)?

Nov 27, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 21
My wife has said the Sennhesier HD 580s come out of my Christmas money, but I consider this a necessary legal fiction for purposes of analysis only.
wink.gif
I am thinking of a Corda HA-1 amp and maybe some of those snazzy new portable Sennheiser headphones, but not for use with one another. More remotely tempting are some Beyer DT 770s and an ipod.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
christmas came early. i just bought a pair of akg k1000's
biggrin.gif
wish fulfilled.

Congrats on the new purchase WalliJohn!! I hope you get many, many hours of truly enjoyable listening time with these new cans, and lose the upgrade urge for many years to come!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back