Christmas has caused me to think about headphones more than I ever thought I would.
Dec 11, 2011 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joeylw

Head-Fier
The whole "search for headphones" started off innocently enough. I was looking for a decent price for RED Beats By Dre Solo HD for my brother. Yes I already knew the Beats weren't great, but they were what he wanted, so that's what I got him.

I then realized that I would love a new pair of on-ear or inner-ear headphones for myself, so I then switched onto that search. One of my family members must have noticed me looking, because I have found out someone has gotten me a Bose MIE2 headset for Christmas. YAY!!

Now I'm thinking of picking up some on-ear or over-the-ear headphones to go with my Bose headset because.......well, just because.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 10
Sorry I forgot some important info

Ubder $200, preferably under $150....Heck under $100 would be awesome!

Closed or at least semi-closed. Don't want to broadcast what I'm listening to everyone.

Music taste is Pop, then some classic rock, metal, and even a little rap and country thrown in.

Dec 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 10

Shure 440 ~ Under $80USD.

Can't go wrong.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 10
One last thing.......I see that a lot of recommendations on this forum are telling people to get a separate amp. My listening will be done on my iPhone and I don't want to carry another thing with me wherever I go, so please no headphones that need an amp.

This forum is awesome and scary at the same time. I can definitely see myself using whatever I buy this first time now for a while, then handing it down to someone I know and looking for me something else in a bigger price range, probably an amp as well. Headphones might've became my new obsession.

But for now I will stick with my current search.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
One last thing.......I see that a lot of recommendations on this forum are telling people to get a separate amp. My listening will be done on my iPhone and I don't want to carry another thing with me wherever I go, so please no headphones that need an amp.

This forum is awesome and scary at the same time. I can definitely see myself using whatever I buy this first time now for a while, then handing it down to someone I know and looking for me something else in a bigger price range, probably an amp as well. Headphones might've became my new obsession.

But for now I will stick with my current search.

Shures don't need an amp.

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 10
This is a short list I came up for on-the-ear and over-the-ear headphones under $120 on Amazon (because I have Prime and LOVE it I try to order from Amazon when possible). I am not sure if any of these needs a separate amp. Also, I know the Grado is not closed like I wanted, but I listened a pair of that exact model and was VERY impressed. Please add to the list any other choices.

Since I liked the Grado I tried out so much I have decided to make the price range under $125 and open and semi-closed headphones are now acceptable. Still don't want to have an amp. Also keep in mind I will be wearing these for hours at a time. Thanks for any help

Audio Technica ATH-M45
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B
Sony MDRV6
Shure SRH440
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
Sennheiser PX 200-lli
Grado Prestige Series SR8i

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 10
If you're lucky, you might be able to find the Audio-Technical ATH-M50 within that budget. They're pretty alright as long as you're not spending over $120 for them.

If you like the Grado sound, perhaps Grados are right for you. In all honesty, almost nothing else sounds like a Grado. If you get something like the Sennheiser banana pads, they should improve the comfort a bit. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Add a CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live!) to that list. It sounds way beyond its price IMHO. Very balanced and comfortable. Only thing is other people won't hear your music but it won't isolate you from outside noise. 

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Add a CAL! (Creative Aurvana Live!) to that list. It sounds way beyond its price IMHO. Very balanced and comfortable. Only thing is other people won't hear your music but it won't isolate you from outside noise. 

It's fine if I can hear the outside world. Me not disturbing others around me is much more important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back