Christmas Gift to BF--Please Help!!
Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

caitybear2008

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!!  I just want to thank you all for such useful information, so much so that I was finally able to decide on a pretty cheap, yet good quality setup for my boyfriend. Today I bought the AKG Q701, Matrix M-stage, and Matrix Mini-i for my bf for christmas (he has NO idea!!). Me being the wonderful gf that I am (lol) I also want to get him a pretty good pair of everyday, to and from work portable headphones for use with his ipod touch. I have no idea which ones to go with, as there are SOO many to choose from! From my earlier perusing today I've come up with this list:

Grado SR60

Grado SR80

iGrado

ER61

I'm seriously thinking about the iGrados, due to the great review by Coilaman on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBR3ZCpLMqI). I want to get him something that doesn't need an amp, that has clear sound, and pretty deep bass (but not too much that it drowns out the rest). He likes to listen to progressive rock, jazz fusion, mainly 60's and 70's stuff, some hip hop and r&b, but no rap, metal, or classical.

Any other suggestions? I am open to both IEM's and portable full sized headphones, whichever sounds best!

I know there are numerous threads on this already, but this site is so unorganized and it's difficult to sift through everything. Please help if you can, thanks you guys!

Oh yea, the budget is not really set, but I'm trying to keep it around $100 as I just dished out $900 for the home setup. PS, he's currently wearing a $5 pair he got from Five Below!! hehe, so anything you suggest will be a dramatic upgrade, to say the least!

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 4
I'd personally stay away from open cans for travelling, they're just a nuisance if it's loud 
frown.gif

The Fischer FA-004 have always interested me, but I have yet to hear them - I have a pair of V-MODA V-80's coming but their slightly above your budget - They're well praised ATM.

If you venture into IEM's I'd suggest you check some of the multiple IEM review threads (Jokers for e.g) in what preference you think your BF would like - The chart (at the bottom of Jokers thread) is a great help.
without trying them first hand peoples opinions is all you can base your purchase on really 
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 4
I will recommend the IEMs over closed headphones under this budget like Etymotic HF5(highly detailed mids, extended highs, good bass with good separation), Sony EX310(very crisp and clear with deep punchy bass and soundstage is fairly wide), Etymotic HF3(very detailed and offers good bass response), Brainwavz M4(deep bass, crisp extended highs and good mids).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back