Chosing the right set-up
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Selfpwnage

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm in need of some help to figure out what to chose for a wireless set-up that includes headphones (+mic) and DAC\AMP for music listening but also gaming on PC.

My current set-up consist of a HyperX Cloud 2 headset (wired) for gaming purposes and an old FiiO X3 connected to my PC as my DAC\AMP for use with my V-Moda M-100s (wired). I absolutely love the sound I get from my V-Moda headphones when paired to my X3 but nothing is ever perfect. Here's my problem. The cables are driving me crazy. They always get caught in something and I'm just over it. I'm also fed up having to switch headphones for gaming and music listening. It is my understanding from experience that "gaming" headsets are trash for music listening purposes while "regular" great headphones can serve just fine as a gaming headset. Even though most of them don't have microphones.

So basically, I am looking for a pair of headphones that are wireless, possibly with some sort of a mic for gaming purposes (could also get a mic completely separate from headphones), a DAC\AMP with EQ ability and that has a mic plug-in port, if such a thing is possible. I am also open to any suggestions, opinions or thoughts.

The V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless (bluetooth) are very tempting but lack a microphone for gaming purposes and I can't find a bluetooth enabled DAC\AMP with a mic plug-in. The importance of a DAC\AMP with a mic plug-in is because I absolutely do not want to use my computer's on-board sound card.

So yeah, in need of some guidance from the masters please :) As I said, I am also open to any suggestions, opinions or thoughts. Thanks!

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't think you'll find many people that will recommend wireless headsets/headphones. You also won't find many dac/amp combos that have mic ins. Because it's not needed. Simply run it into the mic jack on the back of your PC. Otherwisr you really limit yourself on dacs and amps. Don't do that lol.

What is your price range for everything?
Must you have wireless?
There are lots of options for mics out there. Desktop mics, modmic, vmodas boom pro. All will work great with any headphone. Stear clear of headsets if your looking for an all around headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply! The problem with not having a mic plug-in on a DAC\AMP is exactly that. I'll have to run the cable to my motherboard's on-board sound card which will require me install drivers to use, I believe(?). I want to avoid having to install any drivers. Usually DAC\AMP are driverless, correct? I found a DAC\AMP that has a built in mic input but I'm not sure if it's any good. https://mayflowerelectronics.com/arc-overview/ Or maybe I could simply get a mic-to-usb cable with say a boom pro mic?

The reason for me wanting wireless is really just because I am fed-up with cables and I assumed the technology was better nowadays that it would have great sound. Are bluetooth enabled DAC\AMP really worth it in the first place?

Budget isn't a problem if it solves my headaches lol

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 7
I have never had a single issue with mics being plugged directly into my motherboard. I have had issues with drivers and dacs though. Your still going to have a mic cable either way. I would not worry about that.
It's my understanding that Bluetooth is pretty good right now but it is still not as good as a wired setup. I believe Bluetooth 5.0 will be much closer. We can hope! If good enough doesn't bother you then no you don't need to spend a lot of money. If you want the best possible sound for a given price you'll need wired headphones, good dac, good amp.

The Mayflower arc could be a good option for you.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 7
The AKG K845BT is a solid wireless headphone. You might also look at the B&O range. They make some good ones as well. Still unclear how these will fit into your system as I am a bit confused about how you are planning to have your setup organized. I am in agreement with @legion1capone that if it is sound quality you are seeking, you should go wired.

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the replies guys. After much looking around and reading, I've come up to this set-up. The FiiO M9 that I would be using as a USB DAC\AMP connected to my PC which can push audio over bluetooth with the AptX codec and a pair of V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition which can receive the AptX signal which is as close as it gets to lossless over bluetooth from what I have read. The AptX codec has very low latency which I hope won't be noticeable while gaming or watching movies. If it does and it really bothers me, I'll just plug the damn headphones in the FiiO M9 for those purposes I guess. The M9 also has a built in EQ which is a bonus for me.

"When developing the M9, we at FiiO saw that there wasn't any one player that combined all of the functions people want. Was there a player that could transmit the HWA/aptX/aptX HD/LDAC lossless Bluetooth codecs, even when used as a USB DAC?"

This is exactly what I'm looking for I think. What do you guys think?

As for the microphone, I narrowed it down to simply getting a good plug-and-play USB mic and just having it on my desk as I can't find any other solution. No bluetooth devices that can be used as a DAC have mic inputs which only leaves me with connecting the mic either on my motherboard or via USB. Like I said, I don't want to use my onboard sound card at all so USB it is. Any recommendations?

Thoughts? Recommendations? Sorry if I'm confusing. Basically what I am looking for is a pair of wireless headphones and a wireless capable DAC\AMP. But it needs to be as close to wired audio quality as I can get. That's where I found out about the AptX codec. I am also looking for a solution to my mic problem which is that I need a way to connect it to my computer other than into the motherboard. I found out about plug-and-play USB mics and it seems to be just what I need, I think.

Nov 20, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi @Selfpwnage,

For your PC Sound needs, more importantly where connecting mics are concerned, I suggest any of the following usb interfaces (basically external soundcards with recording capability) in no particular order :

Lexicon Alpha
Focusrite Scarlett Series

AptX or AptX HD is the minimum you need for good Bluetooth audio otherwise LDAC is the next step up (for now) being close to decent to good wired, though this is highly subjective & personal...

As long as any source & headphone/IEM/speaker, supports any of these, you should be good.
So your M9 is a good start, Shanling M0 is another alternative or if you need a BT to Wired adapter, Fiio's BTR 3.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back