Chose your favorite Martial Artist & suggest your favorite films!!
May 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #91 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw it. It brought back memories and made me realize what an influence he was on so many levels. It's true that martial arts was a fringe sport based on traditional technique before Bruce Lee. I highly recommend checking that documentary out. It is the most thorough and best I've seen on Bruce.

Bruce Lee is truly the King... he is to martial arts what Jimmi Hendricks was to the electric guitar. He was not a master but THE master.

It is great that he inspired the world and human spirit by demonstrating what is possible and not letting "life" beat him or his spirit down and drive to succeed.

Kind of ironic that majority of Chinese people (i.e. those in mainland China) is only now getting to know of Bruce Lee.

Since you're in the Bay Area, are you watching the Chinese drama on Channel 26, "The Legend of Bruce Lee"?

May 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #92 of 131
^ I haven't noticed that. I will have to check it out. Is it good any good?

May 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #94 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, above hand to hand martial arts I prefer sword fighting movies. Lone Wolf & The Cub movie serie (or Shogun Assassin rehash movie) that was mentioned earlier is fantastic. Zatoichi is also great. I just love swords, and old Japanese samurai movies in general.

Kill Bill has some good Samurai sword fighting.

May 18, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #95 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy is a good actor. Saw him recently along with Gong-Li in 'Curse of the Golden Flowers'. Good movie. I prefer Chinese movies that don't have martial arts in them. Like Red Shorgun and My Concubine.

Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia (2006)

If you liked Curse of the Golden Flower. Have you seen House of Flying Daggers?

It has the same tragic/epic/martial arts style!!

May 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #96 of 131
Quote:

That guy is a good actor. Saw him recently along with Gong-Li in 'Curse of the Golden Flowers'. Good movie. I prefer Chinese movies that don't have martial arts in them. Like Red Shorgun and My Concubine.

Chow Yun-fat in period dramas has always been strange too me. I grew up watching him in all his TVB dramas during the 70s and early 80s, and he's always more suited for productions set in more modern settings. And please don't let him do another martial arts-oriented production....Chow is a serious great actor in both dramas and comedies, but martial arts movies is definitely not his thing.

For the ultimate cool Chow Yun-fat, catch him in the "A Better Tomorrow" series made during the 80s with John Woo.

May 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #97 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I haven't noticed that. I will have to check it out. Is it good any good?

It's OK, but for me, it's kind of long-winded. On the other hand, this particular version of Bruce Lee's life is targeted at the mainland Chinese audience (the show is in Mandarin), who is not as familiar with Bruce Lee as those outside of China. Although I have not seen it, I've the feeling that the Hong Kong version with Donnie Yen portraying Bruce Lee, it may be better in terms of pacing of the story.

I still think "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story", with Jason Scott Lee and Lauren Holly, was excellent at telling Bruce's life story in a condensed fashion.

Anyone seen the recent "Yip Man" movie with Donnie Yen?

May 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #98 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chow Yun-fat in period dramas has always been strange too me. I grew up watching him in all his TVB dramas during the 70s and early 80s, and he's always more suited for productions set in more modern settings. And please don't let him do another martial arts-oriented production....Chow is a serious great actor in both dramas and comedies, but martial arts movies is definitely not his thing.

For the ultimate cool Chow Yun-fat, catch him in the "A Better Tomorrow" series made during the 80s with John Woo.

"The Killer" was also a John Woo's and Chow Yun Fat combo of action-bloody-shooting film making!

May 18, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #99 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And please don't let him do another martial arts-oriented production....Chow is a serious great actor in both dramas and comedies, but martial arts movies is definitely not his thing.

Amen to that.

May 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #100 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you liked Curse of the Golden Flower. Have you seen House of Flying Daggers?

It has the same tragic/epic/martial arts style!!

Yep, but I don't remember any martial arts in Curse of the Golden Flowers though.

May 19, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #101 of 131
Quote:

Yep, but I don't remember any martial arts in Curse of the Golden Flowers though.

no........
confused_face_2.gif
...so what do you call the fighting scenes? like the one when he's fighting his son? or the one with the ninja looking guys chase on the horses?
0621_GoldenAmbush.jpg

May 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #102 of 131
OK, it's been a while. I was thinking more Kung Fu style though. I have House of Flying Daggers on DVD but liked Golden Flowers better. Golden Flowers is more of a Shakespearean style of movie and is not an action movie.

May 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #103 of 131
[size=medium]Has anybody seen this yet? Is it any good?, any better than the first one?[/size]

ongbak2-malaysia.jpg

May 19, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #104 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=medium]Has anybody seen this yet? Is it any good?, any better than the first one?[/size]

ongbak2-malaysia.jpg

Not as good as the first one. The first one was great because everything was believable but in this one there is some unbelievable Hollywood BS. Lousy scrip too. Lots of action though.

May 20, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #105 of 131
^^^oh..thanks, maybe it didn't turn out to be as good as the 1st one 'cause of Tony Ja's debut as a director. I guess we'll give him some more time to mature as one and we'll be seeing some amazing stuff. I still need to watch it though. I really thought the first one was very refreshing and full of wit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back