Chose your favorite Martial Artist & suggest your favorite films!!
May 17, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #76 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Jackie too but why do all of his movies need to be comidies? Its too late now but he should have done some serious stuff too. He had the talent, WTH?

You're right there, he certainly had the chops to do drama well. He got the chance to show a little of that skill in movies like "Heart of the Dragon" and "Crime Story", but not often. The problem is that Jackie never had the pretty boy looks or build that are a prerequisite for getting the dramatic leads. Also, the HK film scene brands actors by the genre they become famous in, hence an action star will always be an action star (although there are exceptions to this rule, Chow Yun-Fat for instance). This kind of 'branding' goes even further, to the extent that an actor doing 'bad guy' parts can never get a role as a 'good guy' and vice versa.

(For those of you reading this and thinking:"What! Jackie can act?!" Don't judge him by his Rush Hour performances. He his at least ten times as good an actor when he isn't hampered by the English language.)

Jackie himself has always said that he had the feeling he could do dramatic stuff later, but while his body still allows it, he has to do the action stuff. So I guess there might be proper dramatic roles from Jackie in the future, but probably no roles combining that with action.

May 17, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #77 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(although there are exceptions to this rule, Chow Yun-Fat for instance).

That guy is a good actor. Saw him recently along with Gong-Li in 'Curse of the Golden Flowers'. Good movie. I prefer Chinese movies that don't have martial arts in them. Like Red Shorgun and My Concubine.

Man cheng jin dai huang jin jia (2006)

May 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #78 of 131
The best.. Bruce Lee.. Enter the Dragon.. My fav is Van Damme. He never came off as a egotistical, macho bad ass..(few exceptions) & was emotionally vulnerable..

On a side note.. Seagal & Van were at a party hosted by Stallone.. Seagal, basically told Damme that he was a phony.. Van Damme told Seagal to take it outside.. Seagal left to avoid confrontation.

May 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #79 of 131
One of the greatest Martial Arts film is called crippled masters I believe.. The Martial artist were disabled & amazing to watch.. One had no arm, or half a arm.. Was cool to see how they overcame such adversity.

May 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #80 of 131
Among the Artists that made it to American Cinema, Bruce Lee started it all... But I dont think Bruce Lees technical skill and speed can match Jackie Chan or many other Chinese Actors in many martial arts films Ive seen as a kid. I used to remember thinking Bruce Lee was slow coming from Chinese Films.

May 17, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #81 of 131
In the early '70s 'The Big Boss' was my favourite Bruce Lee movie. I saw it in the UK and think it may have a different title over here. It was one of his early films and was low budget but good and gritty.

May 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #83 of 131
Quote:

I like Jackie too but why do all of his movies need to be comidies? Its too late now but he should have done some serious stuff too. He had the talent, WTH?

Back in the 70s, HK martial arts films were basically one scene of fighting after another. After a while, it gets quite boring. When Jackie Chan came along in the late 70s with his brand of comedic martial arts movies, it was actually very refreshing. While Jackie Chan has expanded somewhat beyond those early films, HK audience tends to pigeon-hole their entertainers and refuse to let them grow artistically. Btw, I am also deeply disappointed that Jackie Chan and many other HK action stars have their voice dubbed by another actors even in their native Cantonese, which takes away from their performance in, for example, "Heart of Dragon".

May 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #84 of 131
Bruce Lee is a legend, so he is my first choice. He is also a real martial artist by origin, and a good one, not just dancer. Jeet Kune Do is his creation after all.

Jackie Chan is in a second place. Fantastic fighter in entertaiment style, and bloody funny movies. But in pure ballstothewall martial arts movies he is great aswell. This TOP10 by AVGN/James Rolfe captures the essence of Jackie Chan quite well IMO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cHynIXweE

Still, above hand to hand martial arts I prefer sword fighting movies. Lone Wolf & The Cub movie serie (or Shogun Assassin rehash movie) that was mentioned earlier is fantastic. Zatoichi is also great. I just love swords, and old Japanese samurai movies in general.

May 18, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #85 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soidera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
never seen bruce lee x_x

You gotta be kidding me!
angry_face.gif
Why not??

May 18, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #86 of 131
Quote:

Hey Olblueyez! IDK if you've seen this one, but you should check it out! Jackie doesn't display any of his comical side. Not even a smile is shown here. Very, very serious!!
mad.gif
drama martial arts.

46Jackie_Chan_Dragon_Fist_Dutch-Front.jpg

May 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #87 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among the Artists that made it to American Cinema, Bruce Lee started it all... But I dont think Bruce Lees technical skill and speed can match Jackie Chan or many other Chinese Actors in many martial arts films Ive seen as a kid. I used to remember thinking Bruce Lee was slow coming from Chinese Films.

In some of the documentaries shown in the Enter the Dragon Blu-Ray disc, the director and many other co-actors and friends of Bruce had stated that he was the real deal when it came to fighting. The director said that Bruce had to slow his movements down because, on film, he was practically a blur and you couldn't see what he was doing properly. Also, other Martial artists my seem quicker and to have superior skills, but that all has to do with the choreography used. At that time when Bruce was filming, wires were not being used like they are used today, it was a more realistic way of filming.

May 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #88 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In some of the documentaries shown in the Enter the Dragon Blu-Ray disc, the director and many other co-actors and friends of Bruce had stated that he was the real deal when it came to fighting. The director said that Bruce had to slow his movements down because, on film, he was practically a blur and you couldn't see what he was doing properly. Also, other Martial artists my seem quicker and to have superior skills, but that all has to do with the choreography used. At that time when Bruce was filming, wires were not being used like they are used today, it was a more realistic way of filming.

How's the "Enter the Dragon" Blu-ray?

Anyone saw the 2 hour documentary "How Bruce Lee Changed the World" last night on History Channel? Everything you've mentioned was explained in that documentary. Bruce was really that fast and he doesn't like using wires in his film because he wanted authenticity and realism. Check out the documentary if you can....highly recommended!!

May 18, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #89 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone saw the 2 hour documentary "How Bruce Lee Changed the World" last night on History Channel? Everything you've mentioned was explained in that documentary. Bruce was really that fast and he doesn't like using wires in his film because he wanted authenticity and realism. Check out the documentary if you can....highly recommended!!

The BD of Enter the Dragon is a must if you like Bruce Lee. The PQ while not the reference type, it's very good, considering that it is a 1973 film. There are OVER FOUR HOURS of supplements here – enough to satisfy the most die-hard Bruce Lee fan, as well as anyone curious about the man and his movies.

This BD includes:

• Blood & Steel: The Making of Enter the Dragon– (30:12 total)
• Bruce Lee: In His Own Words– (19:20 total)
• Linda Lee Cadwell Interview Gallery (16:05 total)
• Bruce Lee: A Warrior’s Journey – (1:39:56)
• Curse of the Dragon – (1:27:27 total)
• 1973 Featurette: Location: Hong Kong with Enter the Dragon – (7:38)
• Backyard Workout with Bruce – (1:52 total)
• Trailers and TV Spots – (9:18 and 5:44 respectively)

And no I haven't seen the History channel documentary. Hopefully I will catch it sometime.

Thanks!

May 18, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #90 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I saw it. It brought back memories and made me realize what an influence he was on so many levels. It's true that martial arts was a fringe sport based on traditional technique before Bruce Lee. I highly recommend checking that documentary out. It is the most thorough and best I've seen on Bruce.

Bruce Lee is truly the King... he is to martial arts what Jimmi Hendricks was to the electric guitar. He was not a master but THE master.

It is great that he inspired the world and human spirit by demonstrating what is possible and not letting "life" beat him or his spirit down and drive to succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back