Chose your favorite Martial Artist & suggest your favorite films!!
May 15, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #32 of 131
Martial arts died for me when Bruce died, I never wanted to see anyone else when I was a kid. I have come to appreciate lots of martial arts films since I have become an old fart but one guy who always was fun to watch for me was Bolo Yeung, what a bone crunching monster this guy was, is. Tony Jaa's first flick was fantastic. Has anyone seen Game of Death put back together as it was intended? I think I have it somewhere on DVD and they used editing room floor pieces of film and other materials to make it as complete as they could. So much better than the chop job they released to the public in 78.

I always thought Michelle Yeoh was hot, she was great in that Jackie Chan flick with the MG and the Bus, I think it was Super Cop.

May 15, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #33 of 131
ok, he isn't really considered a martial artist, but I think the "Kung Fu" series with David Caradine was the best.

Cane: why do you call be grasshopper?

Master: because you ugly like a grasshopper

May 15, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #34 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Martial arts died for me when Bruce died, I never wanted to see anyone else when I was a kid. I have come to appreciate lots of martial arts films since I have become an old fart but one guy who always was fun to watch for me was Bolo Yeung, what a bone crunching monster this guy was, is. Tony Jaa's first flick was fantastic. Has anyone seen Game of Death put back together as it was intended? I think I have it somewhere on DVD and they used editing room floor pieces of film and other materials to make it as complete as they could. So much better than the chop job they released to the public in 78.

I always thought Michelle Yeoh was hot, she was great in that Jackie Chan flick with the MG and the Bus, I think it was Super Cop.

That Game Of Death Revised version it's on the Blu-Ray of Enter The Dragon, along with other great documentaries on Bruce. I really enjoyed this version much much better than the old one.

**Oh yeah, and have you ever heard that Jackie Chan used to be a bodyguard for some of Bruce Lee's films?**

May 15, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #35 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audirephilos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Game Of Death Revised version it's on the Blu-Ray of Enter The Dragon, along with other great documentaries on Bruce. I really enjoyed this version much much better than the old one.

**Oh yeah, and have you ever heard that Jackie Chan used to be a bodyguard for some of Bruce Lee's films?**

I never heard that one, but I believe it.

May 15, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #36 of 131
Quote:

Actually, he did quite a few stunts for those movies too.

For me HK martial arts glory started with the death of Bruce Lee. Bruce definitely showed them the way though.

I wanted to vote for Yuen Biao. Way underestimated and underrepresented in movies mainly due to his self-effacing and "smaller than life" personality. But his dexterity was absolutely jaw-dropping. Many others that are also very worthy of mentioning: Lam Ching-Ying, Sa(m)mo Hung Kam-Bo, Lee Hoi-San, Lau Kar-Wing, Leung Kar-Yan, Fong Hak-On. And I'm probably forgetting quite a few at the moment.

Essential HK martial arts fare:

-The Prodigal Son
-The Iceman Cometh
-Warriors Two
-The Odd Couple
-Encounters of the Spooky Kind
-Eastern Condors
-Iron Monkey
-Once Upon a Time in China 1&2

May 15, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #37 of 131
I would have to say that if Bruce Lee was still around any of the other "martial artists" in this list (a few of them laughable) would have their asses handed to them in a match, but I really enjoy watching Jackie Chan the most out of all of them. He's simply the most entertaining out of all of them IMO, and the best stunt man alive. Seagall and Van Damme are just plain douchebags.

May 15, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #38 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well in real life you're not going to be looking at being slammed into a mat but at being attacked by usually several people who are usually all bigger than you and who have already decided that your posessions or at worst your life are already theirs to take, and they will probably be armed and very much willing to hurt you, or may even be desperate, irrational, and beyond all reasonable control. Here most martial arts that are designed for mats, gloves, and protective gear aren't going to avail you much and if you want to learn to survive in this kind of a setting you're going to need something very different. The majority of people (outside of armed forces) don't learn an actual street martial art unless they somehow feel threatened and think that there is a real need, not least of all because learning these things is no picnic. We live in an instant gratification society and commiting to learning a real martial art at the highest level is simply something people will never do without a very good reason.

In that sense, cinema, while spreading awareness about martial arts, has also done martial arts a disservice by spreading a fallacious idea as to what martial arts are all about.

Usually move onto bare fist and no protective gear, full contact and no mats.

May 15, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me HK martial arts glory started with the death of Bruce Lee. Bruce definitely showed them the way though.

I wanted to vote for Yuen Biao. Way underestimated and underrepresented in movies mainly due to his self-effacing and "smaller than life" personality. But his dexterity was absolutely jaw-dropping. Many others that are also very worthy of mentioning: Lam Ching-Ying, Sa(m)mo Hung Kam-Bo, Lee Hoi-San, Lau Kar-Wing, Leung Kar-Yan, Fong Hak-On. And I'm probably forgetting quite a few at the moment.

Essential HK martial arts fare:

-The Prodigal Son
-The Iceman Cometh
-Warriors Two
-The Odd Couple
-Encounters of the Spooky Kind
-Eastern Condors
-Iron Monkey
-Once Upon a Time in China 1&2

Very good list!! and Yuen Biao's work has always been overshadowed by the lead actors. He was mainly a stunt man or extra for Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and others. The last thing that he had worked on that i know of, was on Jackie Chan's reality show "Disciple" in which they chose who the Successor of Jackie will be. Biao was a guest judge in the show.

May 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #40 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, he isn't really considered a martial artist, but I think the "Kung Fu" series with David Caradine was the best.

Cane: why do you call be grasshopper?

Master: because you ugly like a grasshopper

Linda Lee has stated that Bruce Lee actually created the concept for the series, which was then stolen by Warner Bros. WB wanted Bruce at first for the role of Caine, but the producers and director chose David because they said that they needed someone serene for the series and that he was more appropriate. Ironically Lee's son, Brandon Lee, appeared in the sequel movies as the son of Caine. Having Lost to David on the role, Lee moved on to work on the Big Boss or Fist of Fury as called in the US.

May 15, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #41 of 131
Now this one is a cult classic that pioneered Martial art film making back in the early 70's. This film was overshadowed by Enter the Dragon though, which came out later on the same year. You can also see a very young Bolo Yeung in this movie.

On a different comical note.... I always use this title: Five Fingers of death
When My teenager son takes too long in the bathroom. I'd say "what took you so long?", "Were you doing the Five fingers of death technique just now?"
biggrin.gif

803.jpg

May 15, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #42 of 131
Quote:

Very good list!! and Yuen Biao's work has always been overshadowed by the lead actors. He was mainly a stunt man or extra for Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and others. The last thing that he had worked on that i know of, was on Jackie Chan's reality show "Disciple" in which they chose who the Successor of Jackie will be. Biao was a guest judge in the show.

Thanks.
regular_smile .gif
I love the few lead roles he managed to land, particularly The Iceman Cometh. He really had such endearing qualities that should have guaranteed him more succes than he had in the end. Glad his 'brothers' looked out for him though. Particularly Sammo Hung has given Yuen Biao quite a few opportunities to shine in his movies.

Quote:

Now this one is a cult classic that pioneered Martial art film making back in the early 70's. This film was overshadowed by Enter the Dragon though, which came out later on the same year. You can also see a very young Bolo Yeung in this movie.

Nice. I should get that one. I haven't bought any stuff from Dragon Dynasty yet. Shame that Hong Kong Legends died (or actually, was killed off), I hope Dragon Dynasty can fill the void. At least they've got motormouth Bey Logan, so the audio commentaries should be excellent.

Here's hoping for a good reference-quality release of Drunken Master II.
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #44 of 131
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tdih7.jpg

May 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #45 of 131
This thread is just full of win!

I didn't see it mentioned but I loved Kung Fu Hustle. If only they had the technology to do half that stuff in the golden or silver ages of martial arts cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back