Chose your favorite Martial Artist & suggest your favorite films!!
May 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 131
Brain Dead is a good movie
wink.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #17 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permagrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Liu Chia Jen or Leung Kar Yan aka "Beardie"

Fearless Dragons (starring Beardie, epic finale fight scene)
Life On The Line (USA "60 Second Assassin") starring Beardie (as the antagonist this time) in another epic finale
Call Me Dragon starring Bruce Liang as Little Dragon (think They Call Me Trinity) vs. Kurata

These are all from the 70s found them on the DVD "The Martial Arts Essentials, Volume 3: The Best of the Best Series One" for $14.95 (6 films in total).

Good call on the Essentials v3! Bruce Liang is one of the best kickers in Martial Art films that I've seen.

May 14, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently caught a very good film. If you liked Jet Li's Fearless then you'll like this too. Donnie Yen in: Ip Man. The story of Bruce Lee's master.

Other movies of note:

Ong Bak (Tony Jaa)
The Protector aka Tom Yum Goong (Tony Jaa)
Ong Bak 2 (some say they dont like it, but the fight scenes were still good)
Fist of Legend (Jet Li)
Once upon a time in China (Jet Li)
Flash Point
Iron Monkey (1993) (Donnie Yen)
SPL aka Sha Po Lang aka Killzone (Donnie Yen, Samo Hung, Wu Jing)
Enter the Dragon (Bruce Lee)
Return of the Dragon (Bruce Lee)
Chocolate (thai fight film)
Goregous (Jackie Chan)
Police Story (Jackie Chan)

Great list! I have to check out the IP man movie! being that i'm a fan of Bruce and Donnie Yen.

Thanks!
bigsmile_face.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b00005abu402lzzzzzzzij8.jpg

Can't go wrong with these two films!!
smile.gif

69198991_af.jpg

May 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 131
I have an inquiry on an old Kung Fu film that I saw in the 80's. I have tried to search for it, but I don't remember the title and can't seem to find nothing on it online. The movie was about this Caucasian kid who's trying to get into a shaoling temple, but the masters don't let him. He's stays outside the temple the whole time waiting for an opportunity to show them that he's got the necessary skills to be a shaoling Monk. Until they let him in and he has to go through a rough training and tests of skills. I don't remember what else happens. If anybody here knows please let me know, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

May 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #22 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by patates /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fist of legend is awesome.
if sword fights and awesomeness is your thing, you must also check out
shogun assassin

badass

That's right..... Lone Wolf and Cub! Seen some a while ago. I need to watch me some more pretty soon.

May 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Michelle Yeoh, because she is always classy and kicks boys butts!
Crouching tiger, Hidden
ph34r.gif

uuuuuuuuuuuuuhh!! well, that she does!

Crouching tiger, Hidden Byatch!!
tongue.gif

May 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 131
Cinema martial arts have far more in common with ballet than with street martial arts and debating who would win in a street setting is pointless. In fact so much of martial arts out there is designed for a tournament setting with little street applicability or is basically fluff with no applicability whatsoever. Actual, genuine martial arts designed for a real-world scenario are rare and you will probably never see them in cinema since they're not very flashy, can be VERY brutal and nasty, and things are usually over too quickly to make for a visually entertaining fight scene.

Having said that, I still like Bruce Lee for the overwhelming physicality and personality, and for his successors I would pick Jackie Chan early on in his career (original Drunken Master and similar stuff) and Tony Jaa, though so far I only liked Ong Bak. And I have to mention Chuck Norris or he will roundhouse kick me in the face.

May 14, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #27 of 131
Jet Lee has stated he'd be no good in a fight. If you're punched in the face and your nose is broken got to continue fighting. A movie martial artist hasen't done any real fighting so would just slam onto the mat within the first 10 seconds.

May 14, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #28 of 131
Well in real life you're not going to be looking at being slammed into a mat but at being attacked by usually several people who are usually all bigger than you and who have already decided that your posessions or at worst your life are already theirs to take, and they will probably be armed and very much willing to hurt you, or may even be desperate, irrational, and beyond all reasonable control. Here most martial arts that are designed for mats, gloves, and protective gear aren't going to avail you much and if you want to learn to survive in this kind of a setting you're going to need something very different. The majority of people (outside of armed forces) don't learn an actual street martial art unless they somehow feel threatened and think that there is a real need, not least of all because learning these things is no picnic. We live in an instant gratification society and commiting to learning a real martial art at the highest level is simply something people will never do without a very good reason.

In that sense, cinema, while spreading awareness about martial arts, has also done martial arts a disservice by spreading a fallacious idea as to what martial arts are all about.

May 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jet Lee has stated he'd be no good in a fight. If you're punched in the face and your nose is broken got to continue fighting. A movie martial artist hasen't done any real fighting so would just slam onto the mat within the first 10 seconds.

Bruce Lee was regularly challenged and would fight, and win.

Jet Li was never interesting to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back