Chord Mojo2 Loaner Program from TTVJAudio.com
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #31 of 38
M2 has been sent to the next participant.

Jul 1, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #32 of 38
Which is whom..?
  • Leondikim
  • dskelto
  • CT007
  • PACSman
  • Mercuttio
Are we always shipping these with signature required..? Because that's probably essential!

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #33 of 38
Which is whom..?
  • Leondikim
  • dskelto
  • CT007
  • PACSman
  • Mercuttio
Are we always shipping these with signature required..? Because that's probably essential!
I sent to @dskelto i assume based on the name

Jul 10, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #35 of 38
Thanks to Todd for the chance to be in the loaner program. It's a Mojo 2 is a great portable dac amplifier and I enjoyed my time with it!

The Mojo2 is a great portable dac and headphone amplifier / walkman / ipod that provides a warm, full and very powerful sound. The interface includes a 5 band graphic equalizer powerful enough to fully drive a 12 ohm DCA Stealth and a 300 ohm ZMF Atrium at the same time! Files from 44.1 kHz to 768 kHz (32 bit!) including DSD 256 (w/e that is?) will be happy here. Battery life is said to be greater than 8 hours, and it can be charged while you use it at home or on the road. It weights 183 grams or about 6 ounces, and is the size of a small cigarette pack (smaller than you think it is!). My experience is that battery hours can go down quickly and dramatically, so please comment below if you have experience with Chord battery life.

The graphic equalizer worked easily and well, but I tend to zero it out as the improvements don't seem to add up. I didn't try the crossfeed. The buttons and light system works easily and is very easy to understand. Just look at the manual and you'll figure it out right away.

There are TWO headphone outputs that may be used at the same time, but not independently.

Chord's Mojo2 can drive any headphone in your stable, regardless.

mojocover.jpg

Maybe it's surprising that portable gear is coming out without a 4.4 mm balanced output? It's usually included these days at this price point because users are tired of constantly switching cables, and 4.4 mm seems to have won the size war over 3.5 mm and 2.5 mm according to my random non-scientific sample. I don't think you'll lose anything sonically going using a 3.5 mm cable if you've upgraded to the expensive types. Really, those are about feel, not sound. I mean, if you're reading my reviews, that is.

Price is suffering due to inflation, but $725 was the release price.

I recommend you buy cables that can magnetically attach to the usb micro power and data ports that Mojo2 retains from it's predecessor. Presumably this was done to allow buyers of earlier Mojo units and Poly units to continue to use their gear. A good compromise in an imperfect world, I suspect.

I don't know how well the battery will hold up, but it is reassuring that you can use the Mojo2 as a home unit, since Chord states Mojo2 can operate fully while powering the battery. If you use the detachable cables, you get a nearly flush interface and the ability to grab and go without thought. (which I especially enjoy)

Mojo2 sound is full, punchy, with a smooth and slightly buttery top end. The Mojo2 amazes with it's smooth sound and precisely placed notes that seem to blend into a deeper background than I remember.

Sometimes, to grab my attention, I feel high fidelity products filter sound in a way that emphasizes the treble region. This makes it easier for me to hear details in the music that are otherwise obscured by, well, the rest of the music. Hearing these details (for the first? time!) gives an immediate positive first? impression! that, taken without? reflection! will cost me? you! money.

Mojo2 soundstage is nice and wide, pretty even - headphones disappear more readily. Mojo2 feels intimate, despite somewhat loud and punchy bass. Instruments seem precisely placed with respect to one another. Treble seems softer, not quite attenuated but sometimes seemingly so. Moving on ....

I love listening to old rock tapes because I enjoy how the band can take a song and turn it from one kind of thing, into a completely different kind of thing, during the same song. Similarly, Mojo2, with it's warm signature, can enhance the rocking feeling of some music, at least, it does to my ears.

iBasso presents a flatter, less dynamic but more natural and smoother response, where Mojo2 is a bit of salt and the peaks seems a little bit, peakier, especially when you throw in an easier to drive headphone like a 32 ohm Grado. I felt like the Hemp was an excellent match, sonically and ergonomically as well.

Taking over, Drop 8xx quickly finds the limits of the dx300 soundstage. Moving over to Mojo2, the stage seems wider, but less than I had imagined. The instruments themselves seems more cleanly defined in the Mojo2. These differences are fairly subtle and I enjoy the music either way.

More surprising, given the lack of any balanced output from Mojo2, is that it handled Dan Clark Audio's 12 ohm, slightly insensitive Stealth headphone completely in stride.

The iem used with Mojo2 was limited to the KZ x Crinicle CRN ZEXPro and the Penon Fan. Noise floor was inaudible and the sound was the best I've heard from these little guys!

I totally recommend the DAC Mojo2 for anyone who wants a little bit of emphasis to their music on the beat, and the feeling of a nice wide soundstage. The amount of detail in the music is fantastic and if you love music, you will love listening to music with a Mojo2!

As home gear, Mojo2 doesn't quite compete with the Jotunheim 2, Lyr 3, or BiFrost 2 which run from $400, $600 and $700 while in stock. I just hear better sound in my home gear. As I should, as those are twice the cost.

I enjoy the dedicated home system too much to fully appreciate the ease and convenience of portable gear.

But I wish i could! For you sane folks, take your phone, add a Mojo2 and any headphone on the planet, and you should be perfectly happy.

mojo2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 38
Mojo is here! :)

Jul 27, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #37 of 38
M2 is ready to move on to the next eligible Audio Enthusiast! @Todd

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 38
Review of Chord Mojo 2
PXL_20220721_022313259.jpg
PXL_20220728_075724832.jpg
PXL_20220728_080021042.MP.jpg
PXL_20220728_072210410.MP.jpg

PXL_20220728_071011278.jpg

BATTERY STRESS TEST:
After charging the device for quite some time(still in the blue zone, I think!), I connected HE6se V2 and Vokyl Erupt, and played a lot of Phil Collins and chiptunes at my maximum tolerable listening level on HE6(volume on Erupt was about 3x louder). M2's battery hit 0% after 8 hours and 19 minutes. Impressive!
PXL_20220721_114748907.jpg

SYSTEM TESTS:
- [Gungnir + Burson 3XP VS Mojo 2]:
Testing HE6 and Joe Satriani's "Rubina", I immediately noticed a good bit more bass impact, body and ear vibration on my main system. Mojo 2 has a good amount of kick, but is noticeably softer and looser after A/B'ing. The sense of space is good on Mojo 2, but is not as effortlessly limitless as the main system. Some details sound better focused because of this, but others sound artificially enclosed.

Testing HE6 and Ronald Jenkee's "Piano Wire", I notice a softer, smoother, more pleasant sound from Mojo 2, and a more crisp, detailed, dynamic sound from the main system. I would wager to say the main system sounds more realistic/accurate here.

Testing FD7 and Santana's "One Of These Days", there seemed to be certainly clearer definition of background sounds and locations on the main system, and slightly better bass definition & body. Mojo 2 sounds slightly more pleasant and soft, as well as less defined & clear.
PXL_20220729_122427485.jpg

- [Pixel 5a VS Mojo 2] (100% digitle volume)
Testing M40X and Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like A Hole", I immediately sensed an increase in detail, impact, fullness and cleanliness on Mojo 2. Next, there was better controlled and tamed treble, lending to a slightly smoother, more effortless, less fatiguing sound. Subtle differences at first glance, that, when combined, lead to a much stronger performance. Vocals were slightly richer and more natural. What I enjoyed most was how background details were brought forward some, and the smoother, more effortless treble. Pixel 5a can almost amplify the signal to full listening volume with HE6, while Mojo 2 does so at "green" to "turquoise"(high gain).

Testing FD7 and Santana's "One Of These Days", I think I noticed SLIGHTLY fuller, better defined bass, and clearer imaging on Mojo 2, as well as less fatiguing treble. There was also less device noise with Mojo 2. I did not hear any other changes, and these changes were minute.

Overall, I generally preferred the slightly smoother and more relaxed(bass & treble) sound of M2 over my main system. M2 seems to have a sprinkle of sweetness, compared to the highly resolving, fully extended, exacting nature of my main hardware. My planars sounded sweeter, smoother, and a good bit less harsh and fatiguing on M2. A990Z and Hook-X were wonderful combos with M2, full of complimentary sweetness and smoothness.

BATTERY vs INTELLIGENT DESKTOP MODE:
PXL_20220728_151021859.jpg
PXL_20220728_151139560.jpg

To enter Intelligent Desktop Mode(IDM), the battery must be 100% charged and remain connected to a power source, to trigger the battery saver mode and a magenta light(the charge indicator light and menu button). This could mean waiting a long, long time(4+ hours) for the battery to fully charge before even being able to use this feature, which can be an exceptionally annoying inconvenience. I am not sure why IDM isn't able to be activated immediately, regardless of battery charge. Nonetheless, Mojo 2 is a quirky device, and a quirk like this particular one doesn't come as much of a surprise here.

I encountered an issue with Mojo 2 in IDM, where the device was connected and visible to my Windows 7 computer, but no sound was being produced, after the PC and M2 stayed connected but not playing any content overnight. After restarting M2, it played sound again. My USB ports' sleep functionality is disabled, so this issue is very likely due to something on Mojo 2's end. Perhaps Mojo 2 went into sleep mode after some time, and I did not realize it.

Sound-wise, it is quite difficult to test the sound quality of IDM VS the battery, without having a 2nd M2 to run one strictly off battery, and one strictly off IDM. I can't say I heard any differences. M2 in IDM handled bright content very well, gave sufficient richness to vocals, provided very good detail, separation, bass, and balance; all of the hallmarks you'd expect from a quality, neutral-tuned device.

DEVICE COMPATIBILITY:
I am very pleased that Mojo 2 works entirely with Windows 7, and without driver download/installation(in my case, at least). Perhaps I still have special drivers installed from when I had Mojo a year ago; I am not sure. Concerning device compatibility, and what hardware or software meets the criteria, I have not been able to find any such criteria listing anywhere; only some references in the manual merely saying, "connect compatible devices".
JM2.png

CROSSFEED MODES:

Unlit = OFF
Red = MIN
Green = MODERATE
Blue = MAXIMUM

I heard barely any difference between these, with the most difference being between OFF and MIN/RED. Red made the sound more centered and focused, adding some fullness to the sound. I was definitely expecting a more dramatic difference here. There were songs where I heard no difference at all, and others where it was more pronounced. Generally, OFF sounds wider and more open/spacious, while ON centers the sound a little, seemingly more the higher the degree of crossfade.

OPERATING TEMPERATURES:
Typical idle temperature = ~95F
Typical operating temperature = ~97F
Maximum temperature during charge = ~103.5F
*(Ambient temperature = ~75F)
PXL_20220721_074050963.jpg
PXL_20220721_113837832.jpg
PXL_20220728_133358639.jpg

FACTORY RESET:

A reset is easy enough to do, but...there is no feedback of any kind to signal if the reset has been done or not. There are 2 ways to perform a factory reset; through the Crossfeed menu, or through the EQ/DSP menu.

DSP EQUALIZER:
I generally don't like to EQ, so I did not bother testing it here. But you can see how to access the EQ/DSP menu, and perform tone control adjustments on the various shelf presets:

MISC FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITY:
Button brightness modes(dim/bright):

Power on cycle:

Volume cycle(0-100%) and gain modes(low/high):

m2 TECH spiccs.png

CONCLUDING THOUGHTS:
Compared to Mojo, Mojo 2 would seem to me a more neutral, uncolored, and direct window into the music, without the charming, tinted glass that Mojo had. Mojo 2 is a somewhat more mature product, with a more neutral sound, but still has a very quirky, convoluted interface that I wish was improved by now. With Intelligent Desktop Mode, and more features than I'd normally use, it certainly has plenty to offer. Desktop Mode is an absolutely invaluable feature for non-portable users like myself, that I always wished the original Mojo had, and am elated to see implemented with Mojo 2.

I would give the Sound Performance of Mojo 2 a rating of 4/5 dead capacitors on a hot Summer day(very good, but not outstanding), and rate the User Friendliness a score of 2/5 broken piano keys(tolerable, mostly).

Agreeing with Jude's assessment of the original Mojo's sound signature, from recent memory/experience with it myself, I prefer the warmer, more organic character it had over Mojo 2's standard neutrality. If skilled enough, one MAY be able to EQ the sound of Mojo into Mojo 2 somehow, though I am doubtful with how limited the EQ controls are. As someone who does not generally EQ, nor care to in order to have great sound, my sound preference is still for the original Mojo. The new features of Mojo 2 are clearly superior, however. With M2's added processing power, I was hoping it would have more of a clean, textured and detail-focused sound like Qutest and Hugo 2 seem to have, instead of simply having a character shift directly toward neutral. Nonetheless, I certainly did enjoy M2's sound, and hold very high regards for Chord and the legacy and continued relevance of the original Mojo even today.

Big thanks to @Todd for running this loaner program! <3

PXL_20220728_073408725.jpg
PXL_20220728_075310413.jpg
PXL_20220728_083459694.jpg
PXL_20220728_124850811.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back