Chord Mojo worth buying Fiio X5 3nd
Mar 18, 2017 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zamfir Florin

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have a Fiio X5 3 nd,fiio A5 and HD600.I want to know if buying a Chord Mojo I wil feel a HUGE difference in sound quality?

For me the combination with HD600,Fiio A5 and Fiio X5 3nd is very ok,but thinking that is possbile to improve the sound it makes me very curious 
smily_headphones1.gif

Any advice?

P.S also I thinking to save money instead to buy the mojo and get the SE846

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 11
I like the Mojo quite a bit and bought it specifically so I wouldn't need to make a harder decision (it is ranked very high by everybody who reviews it).  So can't tell you if worth it to upgrade (or sidegrade) to the Mojo.

However, I expect you'll get more overall enjoyment getting the SE846 because IEMs sound different and can be used differently than over ear headphones.

Also this: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/2f94u9/would_the_shure_se846_still_impress_someone_with/

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 11
It is a hard decesion to make,but thank you anyway for your help.
In future also I want to get the HD800s and i was thinking at Mojo like an upgrade from fiio A5,but for the moment I think i will go with the se846

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 11
  Hello,

I have a Fiio X5 3 nd,fiio A5 and HD600.I want to know if buying a Chord Mojo I wil feel a HUGE difference in sound quality?

For me the combination with HD600,Fiio A5 and Fiio X5 3nd is very ok,but thinking that is possbile to improve the sound it makes me very curious 
smily_headphones1.gif

Any advice?

P.S also I thinking to save money instead to buy the mojo and get the SE846

I personally do not feel the Mojo would be a huge difference.  I own a Mojo and even with OTG and a great player like Onkyo HF and with very good top of the line phones from LG, Samsung, Moto I do not feel you get a huge benefit in SQ as compared with direct HP out.  Yes, you do bet a benefit and it is audible but there is now way I could carry around the Mojo in a pocket with a phone.  Now you do get more power adn that is a big plus in driving Senn 600s, but are you really out and about with the 600s?   Been there with all sorts of multiple dac/ dac/amp combos and a player and for me it is not worth the inconvenience of keeping it all together.  Or having the Mojo turning on randomly while in your pocket.

Now if you plan to sit at a desk or something, then toss the Fiio dap and amp and use the computer and a Mojo, you will get better sound. 

I have heard the Mojo sound really good from some expensive daps but still, a great phone with an amp like a Vali2 on the desk might be much more satisfying and lots cheaper.

But if you have money to spare, go for it, you just have to satisfy YOU that the change is HUGE 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Just based on SQ would the Mojo be a big enough step up compared to the X5 3rd gen ie is the improvement in SQ of the Mojo worth sacrificing the flexibility of the Fiio for? My budget restricts me to buy only one device for now and so I have to choose.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 11
The Mojo is by far the best-sounding DAC/amp I have owned. I was shocked how much better even cheap headphones sound with it. But obviously, your choice of transducer (headphones or speakers) can make a bigger difference.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Disclaimer before anything else. I am fairly new to this hobby. Previously, listening was mainly through speakers. So my ears might not have enough training to experience the nuances.

Recently acquired a fiio x5 v3. Can hardly drive my Beyer T1. If I will use it alone, I don't think I can listen to it at all. It'd be a waste of time. With Mojo, it can be driven but for me, it brings out the harshness of the T1. That's my main complaint. So my current setup is the fiio x5 v3 to Mojo to Burson Soloist amp. Somewhat smooths out the sound.

For my iem, I use Earsonic velvet. I feel there's more substance with the mojo. There is more, but not that much. Highs accentuated a bit, but it sort of balances out the heavy bass if I use fiio player alone. Music sounds better if I use balance out.

Is it worth it? I'd say in my case, I find that getting the balanced cable for my iem gives better bang for the buck than getting the mojo. But since I already have the mojo, I listen with it included in the system as against the fiio alone. Had I acquired my fiio dap first, then I might have thought long and hard about getting the mojo. Moji might be a better dac, but the fiio's dac is not that far off in terms of performance for me.

Jun 16, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Disclaimer before anything else. I am fairly new to this hobby. Previously, listening was mainly through speakers. So my ears might not have enough training to experience the nuances.

Recently acquired a fiio x5 v3. Can hardly drive my Beyer T1. If I will use it alone, I don't think I can listen to it at all. It'd be a waste of time. With Mojo, it can be driven but for me, it brings out the harshness of the T1. That's my main complaint. So my current setup is the fiio x5 v3 to Mojo to Burson Soloist amp. Somewhat smooths out the sound.

Your solution of fiio output - cable-mojo-cable-amp-cable -Beyer T-1 seems to me to be a rather complicated and costly use of cables and devices. What you really need is a blanket between the T-1 and your ears. Your solution of adding a longer chain does about the same thing, takes away some of the piercing pain of the t-1 treble peak.

If you really want to unlock the potential of your listening experience, my experience says sell the headphones and other devices and find something less peaky, more efficient and run it off the x5. Or get a real computer desktop solution, if not using on the go.

Or get a long cable to kill some of the highs, :darthsmile:

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 11
x5 3rd gen is great. the DACs are outstanding and the device is only "slightly" held back by its amp stage. Despite these few drawbacks, I don't think you'll be taken to the next level with a mojo unless it's under very ideal situations. Yes, the mojo is one of the best sounding devices period (mobile or otherwise). But you have to feed it purity for it to do its magic. IE if you're going to hook it up to an android, you may as well just use the hp jack on your phone. Android audio natively and over USB is resampled into the 48Khz realm, or some multiple of 48k at the USB output (highest your DAC will support) UNLESS you use a special driver like the one found in UAPP. The artifacts in the SRC are more degrading than playing pure 44.1 music out of the FiiO x5iii which avoids SRC even with 3rd party apps. You'd be surprised how many people buy a mojo and hook it up to an android device and accept the horrible SRC.

Two, what do you want in your pocket? A stack? If you don't mind a stack and you want TOTL sound, you''ll also need some TOTL IEMS. The HD600 is fabulous and one of my favorite cans. I can't get over just how good the HD600 is with a touch of EQ, but it can't hang with something like andromeda or even jupiter (campfire audio).

Three, what can you perceive? I have excellent hearing for my age and can hear up to 17khz. To me, the sound improvement with mojo is there... but it's really not worth the 200% in cost to get a 10% improvement over the x5iii.

That's the short of it. The x5iii sounds great and is beyond swell for a mobile solution, but make sure you're using either the "super slow rolloff" filter or the "short delay slow roll off" as this will help tighten up transients and eliminate/reduce pre-ringing (phase related digital artifacts) - which I can barely even pick up on, but it's a cleaner filter setting and the brain likes it better.

Also, for your x5iii you can line out to a better hp amp if you want a more powerful sound - the onboard amp sounds a little too "smooth" for me - doesn't really slam if that makes sense. Based on your OP, seems you're doing that already.

No you won't hear a HUGE improvement by going to mojo. my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back