Chord Mojo or IFI iDSD Black label for Sennheiser HD 650?
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mompy7777

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I have $500-$600 to spend on a dac/amp for my Sennheiser HD 650s and I need something I can carry from home to the office with ease and make good use of my pair of headphones
For what I have researched the best two options or at least the most popular ones are the MOJO and the iDSD BL
Which one would you recommend? Any third option?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 15
I like the sound of the Mojo much more than the micro iDSD. (Owned both, but have not heard the BL version.) The Mojo is much smaller too.

I'm using a Mojo as a DAC + digital preamp for speakers at the moment. haha

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 15
For a portable option the Mojo is quite good haven't heard the BL with them so can't compare. I have heard the BL but not with the 650's. The Mojo is a bit on the warm side so take that into consideration. If you like the more laid back sound of the 650's this will add to it a bit. It has no problem powering them at all. The BL I found a bit more neutral sounding. My preferred amp for the 650's (the 6xx's in my case) is the Bottlehead Crack. It is the best amp I've heard to date with them. My tubes cost about half of what the amp costs but I think if you have not heard the 650's from a BH Crack you haven't heard the 650's. Not a real good portable option just had to put that out there.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 15
If you want to add warmth, get the mojo. If you want neutral, get the iDSD bl.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 15
For a portable option the Mojo is quite good haven't heard the BL with them so can't compare. I have heard the BL but not with the 650's. The Mojo is a bit on the warm side so take that into consideration. If you like the more laid back sound of the 650's this will add to it a bit. It has no problem powering them at all. The BL I found a bit more neutral sounding. My preferred amp for the 650's (the 6xx's in my case) is the Bottlehead Crack. It is the best amp I've heard to date with them. My tubes cost about half of what the amp costs but I think if you have not heard the 650's from a BH Crack you haven't heard the 650's. Not a real good portable option just had to put that out there.

In fact I'm planning to save some money and get a killer desktop dac/amp setup the next year, I will keep in mind your recommendation

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 15
How about the turbo mode, bass mode and 3d mode on the iDSD BL? Just gimmicks or they make a difference?

FYI, the Mojo (when properly measured) has a perfectly neutral frequency response. Any perceived warmth is due to other factors, such as the fact that it has zero noise floor modulation.

The bass switch didn't do much for me. If you want to do EQ, I'd recommend a parametric equalizer, which gives you full control.

Turbo can be useful for harder to drive headphones or when you're doing extreme bass boosts with something like a JVC HA-SZ2000. (The extra power lets you do extreme boosts like that without distortion, as well as providing more bass impact in this case.)

I don't like the 3D switch, personally. It only works when you use it in DAC/amp mode. In DAC only mode, it's disabled. Anyway, I thought it just made things sound echoey in an artificial way with some tracks. (Some tracks barely sounded different, so it comes down to the recording.) One example is a studio recording in a non-reverberant room that sounded like a massive cathedral with the switch activated. lol. It's not even close to a quality crossfeed.

In short, they're gimmicky, but could still be useful.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 15
FYI, the Mojo (when properly measured) has a perfectly neutral frequency response. Any perceived warmth is due to other factors, such as the fact that it has zero noise floor modulation.

The bass switch didn't do much for me. If you want to do EQ, I'd recommend a parametric equalizer, which gives you full control.

Turbo can be useful for harder to drive headphones or when you're doing extreme bass boosts with something like a JVC HA-SZ2000. (The extra power lets you do extreme boosts like that without distortion, as well as providing more bass impact in this case.)

I don't like the 3D switch, personally. It only works when you use it in DAC/amp mode. In DAC only mode, it's disabled. Anyway, I thought it just made things sound echoey in an artificial way with some tracks. (Some tracks barely sounded different, so it comes down to the recording.) One example is a studio recording in a non-reverberant room that sounded like a massive cathedral with the switch activated. lol. It's not even close to a quality crossfeed.

Thanks so much I was hoping for a clear and simple explanation like this weeks ago, I don't consider myself an audiophile so certain concepts confuse me

I've heard the 6XX with idsd BL (my housemate own it) and IMO it sounds better than my mojo pair. Both are good but the iDSD BL brings out a tad more treble and soundstage to the 6XX.

Thanks, sounds like winner
Too bad that I don't have anywhere to try them before buy

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 15

I use the BL with my iems and I enjoy both switches fairly regularly depending on what I'm listening to and my mood.

The 3D switch adds substantial sound stage to live recordings... it sounds as though I am in the crowd which is important to me because I really enjoy live music.

I use the bass boost when I feel like increasing the "fun factor" of my iems. Wanna feel the bass while listening to some hip-hop? Legitimately a flip of the switch away. I also find that the boost was well done and doesn't overpower the rest of the spectrum.

You may not find them useful, but to dismiss them as gimmicky isn't really fair imo. It should also be mentioned that the Black Label has significantly reworked switches compared to the original iDSD Micro.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 15
I've wanted to give the ifi a try myself. I don't often see people argue about whether an AMP/DAC is warm or bright quite like the ifi, and that alone makes me interested.

Feb 15, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 15
buke9 (Or anyone) - Which BottleHead Crack are you using? I purchased the HD6xx from Massdrop. I have a MOJO but wasn't especially impressed with how the HD6xx sounded on it but I'm guessing it will be much better after breaking them in.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 15
buke9 (Or anyone) - Which BottleHead Crack are you using? I purchased the HD6xx from Massdrop. I have a MOJO but wasn't especially impressed with how the HD6xx sounded on it but I'm guessing it will be much better after breaking them in.
I have an older Crack without Speedball and newer Crack 1.1 with Speedball. I don’t like the 6xx’s with the Mojo either the 700’s and 800’s are fine with the Mojo though.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 15
I have the HDxx and just got the iDSD micro black label. It sounds amazing to me paired with the HDxx.

I have a Jotunheim with the balanced DAC and a DFR. While I love both of these they seem a bit bright with the HDxx on some tracks and the iDSD seems to really tighten up the bass even without the bass boost on. I haven’t heard the MOJO so can’t directly compare.

The iDSD BL has a lot of power. On the eco mode the HDxx sound a bit under driven (like with the DFR). But on normal power they have a very full sound and beyond 12 o’clock is painfully loud. On turbo mode I can’t even get to 12 o’clock they get so loud. This must be for 600 ohm headphones or planar magentics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back