Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 11, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #41,431 of 42,765
absolutely, totally 100% agree ... you capture exactly the essence of chord mojo, and the reason it differs with other dacs. I am wondering how it stands (as dac) against more expensive ones like 2qute or qutest....
I bought the Mojo 3+ years ago and bought the Hugo 2 last September. Besides having much more accurately defined notes from sub bass to treble, the H2’s soundstage is significantly wider and imaging is more precise.
I am still enjoying the lush sound of the Mojo, but when doing comparison tests, switching from the H2 to the Mojo feels like squeezing the music into my forehead.
I was skeptical if the expense for an H2 can be justified, but to me it is totally worth it.

May 11, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #41,432 of 42,765
absolutely, totally 100% agree ... you capture exactly the essence of chord mojo, and the reason it differs with other dacs. I am wondering how it stands (as dac) against more expensive ones like 2qute or qutest....
Compared to the Hugo 2, the Hugo 2 has more detail and depth. However, it also is a little more clinical in presentation as well.

The mojo is just an all around great sounding DAC.

May 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #41,433 of 42,765
Compared to the Hugo 2, the Hugo 2 has more detail and depth. However, it also is a little more clinical in presentation as well.

The mojo is just an all around great sounding DAC.

I learned it also depends the headphone on how much difference you'll hear between them. Not so much the FR, but the spatial detail. I recently got a Utopia and the experience between the mojo and H2 is quite stark. First time I really felt the mojo sounding "flat". Still sounds good of course, but missing depth, openness, and space for the different elements of the sound to play around in. Didn't get quite that same impression from my IEMs of course, but did notice the increase of soundstage and leanness throughout my whole collection. Just the superb spatial qualities of the H2, which certainly matter to the experience, aren't realized just by any headphone.

May 11, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #41,434 of 42,765
I learned it also depends the headphone on how much difference you'll hear between them. Not so much the FR, but the spatial detail. I recently got a Utopia and the experience between the mojo and H2 is quite stark. First time I really felt the mojo sounding "flat". Still sounds good of course, but missing depth, openness, and space for the different elements of the sound to play around in. Didn't get quite that same impression from my IEMs of course, but did notice the increase of soundstage and leanness throughout my whole collection. Just the superb spatial qualities of the H2, which certainly matter to the experience, aren't realized just by any headphone.

100% Agree.

My bedtime setup is Stellia/MojoPoly. The combo for me is the perfect nighttime/relaxation setup-- just enough detail so if I feel like focusing on different instruments or musical elements, I can.

I'm currently demoing Erezitich's hybrid Medousa headphone amp with my H2/2go. Stellar combo with the Empyreans. The Medousa pushes out the laid back highs, preserves the mids, and tightens the bass. Soundstage width, depth, and overall detail retrieval improved. Although I thoroughly enjoy the Empyrean and Stellia straight from the H2.

May 14, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #41,436 of 42,765
Chord Mojo modification to desktop version Mojo SC

Opening Chord Mojo
To open Chord Mojo you will need hex key. Mojo is Made in England, so ordinary metric hex keys (here in Europe) will not be useful. You will need to get inch size hex key, concretely 1/16“(approximately metric 1.59 mm).

Disconnecting of battery
Softly disconnect battery from PH connector and remove it from chassis (battery is hold with sticky tape from which needs to be unstacked). This way you will free space for inserting block of capacitators.

Creating block of capacitators
Prepare six pieces of BIGCAP® BUP002R8L805FA. They are 8F/2.8V electrolytic supercapacitators(SC). At first, connect three of them into series to multiply operating voltage to 8.4 V. That is a voltage level of battery power supply, which was removed.
But with series connection you will also get decrease in capacity of SC from 8 F to 2,66͘͘ F. Thus, we need to create twins and connect them into parallel – 2x3. By such connection you will get sum of both series capacity, which will now reach target level 5.33͘ F. During fabrication take care about fulfilment of correct polarization! (Negative end is marked with minus (-) on the body of capacitor and positive terminal is longer that of the negative one)

q93VhlO.jpg

Connecting the SC block
Now it is time to add, for previously created block of SC (5.33͘ F/8.4V), supply cables. The end of supply cable needs to be crimped and inserted to PH plug (2PIN, 2mm). Positive terminal is on the right side of the plug.
Now we can put SC block to the freed space after battery in Mojo. My advice is to paste the back with new sticky tape. After that connect it into Mojo printed circuit board. Then the power supply needs to be connected and Mojo left power off.
Now the SC is connected to voltage and is being formatted. Advance could be watched on voltmeter, when operational voltage reached 8.4V the SC is prepared for operation. But it can be just left connected alone and within one hour it will be ready.
If SC will not be properly formatted, then after ca. 5s after power on, instead of relay connecting output, will Mojo just shut down (after switching power on, the Mojo is for a while disconnected because of protection). But for a the very first power on (after modification) it happens always, so the Mojo needs to be switched on repeatedly. Same situation happens after Mojo SC is disconnected from power supply for a longer period, where is best to leave it back on voltage for a little moment before turning it on.
20210505_174311.jpg

Sound
The sound of Mojo in this desktop modification is clearer, the lows get toughen and vigor. Most important is however a huge uprise of dynamic, records get body and acquires new life. That all in such level, that retrospectively the previous sound will seems as being dry and under cover.

Order shortcuts
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bup002r8l805fa/supercapacitors/bigcap/
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/sph-200bk26/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/phr-2/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/

May 14, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #41,437 of 42,765

Opening Chord Mojo
To open Chord Mojo you will need hex key. Mojo is Made in England, so ordinary metric hex keys (here in Europe) will not be useful. You will need to get inch size hex key, concretely 1/16“(approximately metric 1.59 mm).

Disconnecting of battery
Softly disconnect battery from PH connector and remove it from chassis (battery is hold with sticky tape from which needs to be unstacked). This way you will free space for inserting block of capacitators.

Prepare six pieces of BIGCAP® BUP002R8L805FA. They are 8F/2.8V electrolytic supercapacitators(SC). At first, connect three of them into series to multiply operating voltage to 8.4 V. That is a voltage level of battery power supply, which was removed.
But with series connection you will also get decrease in capacity of SC from 8 F to 2,66͘͘ F. Thus, we need to create twins and connect them into parallel – 2x3. By such connection you will get sum of both series capacity, which will now reach target level 5.33͘ F. During fabrication take care about fulfilment of correct polarization! (Negative end is marked with minus (-) on the body of capacitor and positive terminal is longer that of the negative one)

q93VhlO.jpg
May I suggest two ideas:
1- Use a 3.3k resistor across each SC. they gently drain each SC when not in use. Also moment after switch on, or in case of tolerances between different SC's , it provides a better division of powersupply voltage across each SC.
2- From your pictures, I don't think you would be able to close Mojo top shell back on again, if that is the case, you can go all the way and do away with the noisy charging circuit of Mojo, instead use a 12V linear external powersupply connected to the SC's via a diode and a current limiting resistor of about 22R/3W.
Mojo uses about 150mA if I am correct, the diode and the 22R/3W drop about 4V , so the SC's see 8V. Mojo operates down to 7V.
If you can close the shell, then find a way of running a cable inside.

For the record, I do not believe Mojo running on battery alone, is going to be any inferior to running on Sc's - but hey - it might, and it is fun to do.

BTW Here in UK we went metric years ago. USA still struggles with SI units, not us. :relaxed:

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #41,438 of 42,765
May I suggest two ideas:
1- Use a 3.3k resistor across each SC. they gently drain each SC when not in use. Also moment after switch on, or in case of tolerances between different SC's , it provides a better division of powersupply voltage across each SC.
2- From your pictures, I don't think you would be able to close Mojo top shell back on again, if that is the case, you can go all the way and do away with the noisy charging circuit of Mojo, instead use a 12V linear external powersupply connected to the SC's via a diode and a current limiting resistor of about 22R/3W.
Mojo uses about 150mA if I am correct, the diode and the 22R/3W drop about 4V , so the SC's see 8V. Mojo operates down to 7V.

For the record, I do not believe Mojo running on battery alone, is going to be any inferior to running on Sc's - but hey - it might, and it is fun to do.

BTW Here in UK we went metric years ago. USA still struggles with SI units, not us.
1. Thank you for the idea of using 3.3k resistors, I will ponder about it :beerchug:

2. Connected picture was taken before closing Mojo, but I used this one, because of clear view on SC block. Before closing it, I covered top of SC and soldered contacts to isolate them, and of course I had to take care with too long power cable.
So Mojo is not open, but closed in chassis and with iFi iPower 5V as a power supply.

3. I´m sorry, I forgot to mention what I’m comparing. My declared sound quality comparison is between two Chord Mojo in desktop mode, in which I’m using it. That is reason why I, long time ago, had removed battery and have been running Mojo without it. So I compare directly powered Mojo (with disconnected battery and external switched-mode power supply) and Mojo without battery, but with added SC block - Mojo SC!

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #41,439 of 42,765
May I suggest two ideas:

BTW Here in UK we went metric years ago. USA still struggles with SI units, not us. :relaxed:
Thanks for you notice about SI units! Now I see that the problem is not in UK, but the trouble is that Mojo miss the boat. So, it is time to accuse Rob Watts of using obsolete inch size screws rejected years ago :deadhorse::smile:

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #41,440 of 42,765
1. Thank you for the idea of using 3.3k resistors, I will ponder about it :beerchug:

2. Connected picture was taken before closing Mojo, but I used this one, because of clear view on SC block. Before closing it, I covered top of SC and soldered contacts to isolate them, and of course I had to take care with too long power cable.
So Mojo is not open, but closed in chassis and with iFi iPower 5V as a power supply.

3. I´m sorry, I forgot to mention what I’m comparing. My declared sound quality comparison is between two Chord Mojo in desktop mode, in which I’m using it. That is reason why I, long time ago, had removed battery and have been running Mojo without it. So I compare directly powered Mojo (with disconnected battery and external switched-mode power supply) and Mojo without battery, but with added SC block - Mojo SC!
Well this issue has come up time and time again.
In short, Mojo only has a charging port, THAT usb is not a power socket. Whether you connect a common USB charger or the cleanest super-duper powersupply to it, it does not make a bit of difference - it just activates Mojo's internal noisy switch-mode charging circuit, designed purely to charge the battery (which incidently apt for the job).
By connecting a clean linear powersupply directly to the supercaps (akin TT I believe) you bypass the charging circuit.
Mojo, without a battery, powered by the noisy charging circuit, should most definitely sound worse than, with battery or SC's.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #41,441 of 42,765
Well this issue has come up time and time again.
In short, Mojo only has a charging port, THAT usb is not a power socket. Whether you connect a common USB charger or the cleanest super-duper powersupply to it, it does not make a bit of difference - it just activates Mojo's internal noisy switch-mode charging circuit, designed purely to charge the battery (which incidently apt for the job).
By connecting a clean linear powersupply directly to the supercaps (akin TT I believe) you bypass the charging circuit.
Mojo, without a battery, powered by the noisy charging circuit, should most definitely sound worse than, with battery or SC's.
Interesting idea, you propose to connect linear power supply (8.4V) directly to SC and disconnect USB power to deactivate Mojo charging circuit…

Sounds to me like vision of upgrade to Mojo TT :thinking::thumbsup:

May 14, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #41,442 of 42,765
Interesting idea, you propose to connect linear power supply (8.4V) directly to SC and disconnect USB power to deactivate Mojo charging circuit…

Sounds to me like vision of upgrade to Mojo TT :thinking::thumbsup:
Yes sort of.
Go back to my original reply for details.

May 14, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #41,443 of 42,765
Mojo, without a battery, powered by the noisy charging circuit, should most definitely sound worse than, with battery
I hear no difference with or without the battery.

May 14, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #41,444 of 42,765

Opening Chord Mojo

Disconnecting of battery

q93VhlO.jpg

Connecting the SC block
Now it is time to add, for previously created block of SC (5.33͘ F/8.4V), supply cables. The end of supply cable needs to be crimped and inserted to PH plug (2PIN, 2mm). Positive terminal is on the right side of the plug.
Now we can put SC block to the freed space after battery in Mojo. My advice is to paste the back with new sticky tape. After that connect it into Mojo printed circuit board. Then the power supply needs to be connected and Mojo left power off.
Now the SC is connected to voltage and is being formatted. Advance could be watched on voltmeter, when operational voltage reached 8.4V the SC is prepared for operation. But it can be just left connected alone and within one hour it will be ready.
If SC will not be properly formatted, then after ca. 5s after power on, instead of relay connecting output, will Mojo just shut down (after switching power on, the Mojo is for a while disconnected because of protection). But for a the very first power on (after modification) it happens always, so the Mojo needs to be switched on repeatedly. Same situation happens after Mojo SC is disconnected from power supply for a longer period, where is best to leave it back on voltage for a little moment before turning it on.
20210505_174311.jpg

Sound
The sound of Mojo in this desktop modification is clearer, the lows get toughen and vigor. Most important is however a huge uprise of dynamic, records get body and acquires new life. That all in such level, that retrospectively the previous sound will seems as being dry and under cover.

Order shortcuts
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bup002r8l805fa/supercapacitors/bigcap/
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/sph-200bk26/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/
https://www.tme.eu/en/details/phr-2/raster-signal-connectors-2-00mm/jst/

Interesting stuff.

Someone did a mod like that with the exact same super-cap that the TT2 uses.

I would love to audition one of these.

(Someone else bought a super-cap power supply for the Qutest as well. I wondered if that made the Qutest a Qutest TT. Would have loved to have heard that too.)

May 14, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #41,445 of 42,765
Interesting stuff.

Someone did a mod like that with the exact same super-cap that the TT2 uses.

I would love to audition one of these.

(Someone else bought a super-cap power supply for the Qutest as well. I wondered if that made the Qutest a Qutest TT. Would have loved to have heard that too.)
I know of that and at first, I have used it too. Its PowerStor® PHV-5R4V505-R supercapacitor – 5F/5.4 V. It needs longer formatting to operate in Mojo, but after that it works.

Thought there is one big trouble, and it is nominal voltage – 5.4 V, which makes from it a delay-action bomb. Operational voltage of Mojo battery charging circuit is 8.4 V, so it is just a question of time until it fails and go off and maybe leak out to Mojo PCB and damage it... :rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back