Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 26, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #10,006 of 10,527
I also use the simple USBC cable from my iPhone with no issues.....

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #10,007 of 10,527
I currently use the FiiO LT-LT1 and OEAudio (both Lightning to USB-C). Had them for over a year and didn't notice any issues with white noise.

I tried the DDHIFI MFi09S last month, and had white noise within the first 5 minutes of listening. It happened when sampling rate switched (I was listening to a playlist with on Apple Music with tracks that had a variety of sampling rates).

Edit: I have the iPhone 14 Pro.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #10,008 of 10,527
I have been using the ddHiFi TC05 USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable for a few years now without any issue, ever.

Anyone here using the TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable? Does it worth to buy, would there be any improvement in the sound quality, you think?

I am always using my Mojo 2 with my Android smartphone, currently the Samsung S23 Ultra, I will never use it with any other device.
To my ears, the depth and instrument separation is lost when using either TC05 or TC09 cables on both my Samsung S22 Ultra and PC.

The much cheaper iFi Audio 90° USB-C OTG and the Fiio CL06 Type C to Micro USB OTG sounded more fuller and complete in comparison.

Give them try, they'll also cheaper in comparison. FYI though, the iFi cable has better durability than the Fiio. The Fiio stops starts having connection issues after 3 to 6 months due to frequent plugging and unplugging.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #10,009 of 10,527
I currently use the FiiO LT-LT1 and OEAudio (both Lightning to USB-C). Had them for over a year and didn't notice any issues with white noise.
Cool haven't tried either of these yet. I use mine a lot literally OTG while walking around, so the cables definitely get bent and pulled around a bit. Are these cables fairly resilient and tough?

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #10,010 of 10,527

To my ears, the depth and instrument separation is lost when using either TC05 or TC09 cables on both my Samsung S22 Ultra and PC.

The much cheaper iFi Audio 90° USB-C OTG and the Fiio CL06 Type C to Micro USB OTG sounded more fuller and complete in comparison.

Give them try, they'll also cheaper in comparison. FYI though, the iFi cable has better durability than the Fiio. The Fiio stops starts having connection issues after 3 to 6 months due to frequent plugging and unplugging
Oh yeah of coarse everyone knows that with the tc05 or tc09 usb cable that all depth and instrument separation will be lost. Ya gota have ultra golden ears to pick that out consistently over many tracks and with different recordings......

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #10,011 of 10,527
Oh yeah of coarse everyone knows that with the tc05 or tc09 usb cable that all depth and instrument separation will be lost. Ya gota have ultra golden ears to pick that out consistently over many tracks and with different recordings......
Not sure why you're quoting me?

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #10,012 of 10,527
Cool haven't tried either of these yet. I use mine a lot literally OTG while walking around, so the cables definitely get bent and pulled around a bit. Are these cables fairly resilient and tough?
The FiiO LT-LT1 is more flexible and slightly longer. The OEAudio is not that flexible, so it might put more stress on the connectors of both Mojo 2 and the phone if bent. Both seem pretty tough to me. I would recommend the FiiO LT-LT1. I believe both USB-C version if you need that.

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #10,013 of 10,527
When I upgraded my mojo to 2 I also replaced the battery in my poly. Now the poly always outlasts the mojo2 which is not what I would have expected. I must admit that I am playing 16fs 24b pggb files from the sdcard. Perhaps the 16fs processing uses more power?
What battery did you use to replace your Poly battery, and where did you source it? Thanks

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #10,014 of 10,527
What battery did you use to replace your Poly battery, and where did you source it? Thanks
I got it from Amazon Canada. If you replace it be careful of the light tube as it can be damaged.

IMG_0336.jpeg

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #10,015 of 10,527
Dealers love owners to fall into the trap of believing that the rule of thumb that paying more automatically ensures better quality.

I think years ago in the Mojo thread, Rob Watts posted that he had measured a range of USB cables, and the physical properties of some of the expensive ones did not meet the USB standard.
Of course that has not stopped owners innocently buying expensive cables, and being puzzled that they don't always live up to expectations. :relaxed:
But didn't Rob Watts also say that optical on the Mojo 2 is best route and that the Mojo 2 USB implementation wasn't the best because the USB chip was susceptible to noisy USB.

The mixed messages confuse me so much. USB cables don't matter while optical is best, but then you still need a USB for the USB to optical interface that feeds the dac.

Actually, if Rob Watts can answer please, which input on the Mojo 2 were you primarily focused on while you were making the fine tuning? I just wanna know I'm getting the most out of my current setup.

Gaming PC
> Qobuz bit perfect
> generic usb c to Topping HS02 no external power
> iFi Audio 90° USB-C to DXIO PRO3Z no external power
> Optical to Mojo 2
> Sennheiser HD 650 or Sony MDR EX1000
or
> Sony MDR EX1000 after using Mojo 2 eq to tame the highs and boost the mids a bit to bring it close to HD 650 levels.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #10,016 of 10,527
But didn't Rob Watts also say that optical on the Mojo 2 is best route and that the Mojo 2 USB implementation wasn't the best because the USB chip was susceptible to noisy USB.

The mixed messages confuse me so much. USB cables don't matter while optical is best, but then you still need a USB for the USB to optical interface that feeds the dac.

Actually, if Rob Watts can answer please, which input on the Mojo 2 were you primarily focused on while you were making the fine tuning? I just wanna know I'm getting the most out of my current setup.

Gaming PC > Qobuz bit perfect > DXIO PRO3Z no external power >

It’s not an easy answer when it comes to “what is best”.

@Rob Watts says optical, due to other things, IIRC galvanic isolation and lack of noise. But the poly is widely considered one of the best sounding inputs to the mojo2.

Others say toslink “sounds like ass” and well implemented USB is better.

Unless you have a noisy USB source or crappy cable, the mojo should sound nearly identical from all inputs given equal quality sources. You probably are getting the best performance on your setup. You can continue down the “rabbit hole” chasing the extra 5% or just enjoy the mojo2.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #10,017 of 10,527

Gaming PC
> Qobuz bit perfect
> Optical to Mojo 2
or
> Sony MDR EX1000 after using Mojo 2 eq to tame the highs and boost the mids a bit to bring it close to HD 650 levels.
Best thing to do is just try for yourself. Too many possible variables in every individual setup to say that X connection type is always better than Y. Optical just tends to be better with Mojo 2 assuming you’ve got a noisy, unisolated USB signal. But if you use an isolator or reclocker of some kind or have an especially quiet USB source, it’s not an issue.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 4:21 AM Post #10,018 of 10,527

Gaming PC
> Qobuz bit perfect
> Optical to Mojo 2
or

Optical with my DACs is the reference sounding source in that jitter doesn't matter, and there is zero possibility of RF noise currents flowing into Mojo 2's ground plane. I did use optical when listening to Mojo 2 when developing it.

USB on desktop can sound identical to optical with an important caveat - it depends upon how noisy your source is. My old MSI lap-top had optical and it sounded identical to USB for example. A mobile phone or battery powered DAP connected to Mojo 2 should sound the same as optical, as again RF noise currents can't flow if the source is not earthed/mains connected. Indeed, all of my listening when going portable is via USB from my phone.

Of course, the above assumes bit perfect data that has not been processed in any way.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #10,019 of 10,527
and there is zero possibility of RF noise currents flowing into Mojo 2's ground plane
Interesting. I'm utterly addicted to listening to my Mojo 2 fed by M Scaler via an Audiowise Opto-DX powered from the unregulated port of a Bix battery. Like optical toslink, there's no possibility of RF noise currents, but with the benefit of being 786kHz instead of 192kHz.

It sure makes the most of this excellent Qobuz classical playlist:
https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/19592635

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 10.01.02 PM.png

Though I'm listening with Focal Stellia not speakers :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #10,020 of 10,527
Like optical toslink, there's no possibility of RF noise currents, but with the benefit of being 786kHz instead of 192kHz.

Not strictly 100% true, RF noise is all around us and there is little you can do about that. I suppose you could build yourself a screened room in the middle of a field somewhere, or get yourself on the crew of the next mission to the Moon or Mars.

IMHO it's best not to obsess too much about RF noise, either conducted or radiated and just enjoy the music, if you have a problem you'll hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back