Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #9,991 of 10,546
So if I am understanding this correctly, a reboot of the Mojo 2 will make it go away, unless it a cable issue?
The fix for me is just to unplug/replug the USB cable.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #9,992 of 10,546
I'm going to weigh in about the USB-C white noise issue.

There might be design issues inside the M2 which make the unit sensitive to cable flaws, robustness, damage or compromised cable design. I have bought cheapo USB-C to USB-C cables which initially worked satisfactorily, until it didn't. Once it sporadically exhibited the white noise issue, it always would on an increasing basis. Some exhibited the problem right out of the packaging.

I have not finished looking for cheap Mojo 2 friendly cables.

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #9,993 of 10,546

There might be design issues inside the M2 which make the unit sensitive to cable flaws, robustness, damage or compromised cable design. I have bought cheapo USB-C to USB-C cables which initially worked satisfactorily, until it didn't. Once it sporadically exhibited the white noise issue, it always would on an increasing basis. Some exhibited the problem right out of the packaging.

If you need lightning to usb c as many will testify the ddhifi MFi06 (www.audioconcierge.co.uk/portfolio/chord-mojo-lightning-cable-mfi06/ )cable is very reliable. For me, I have had no issues at all........ Sure other ddhifi cables of different terminations would work just as good also.........

Feb 25, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #9,994 of 10,546
I have been using the ddHiFi TC05 USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable for a few years now without any issue, ever.

Anyone here using the TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable? Does it worth to buy, would there be any improvement in the sound quality, you think?

I am always using my Mojo 2 with my Android smartphone, currently the Samsung S23 Ultra, I will never use it with any other device.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #9,995 of 10,546
So if I am understanding this correctly, a reboot of the Mojo 2 will make it go away, unless it a cable issue?
A reboot is not necessary.
The Mojo is just demonstrating the symptoms of upstream issues, and once the upstream issues are removed the Mojo will be fine.
Rebooting the Mojo will not change faulty cables, or iPhones or music servers that pause the flow of usb data.

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #9,996 of 10,546
I have been using the ddHiFi TC05 USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable for a few years now without any issue, ever.

Anyone here using the TC09S USB-C to USB-C OTG Cable? Does it worth to buy, would there be any improvement in the sound quality, you think?

I am always using my Mojo 2 with my Android smartphone, currently the Samsung S23 Ultra, I will never use it with any other device.
Yeah I'm using the TC09 only because I could get a longer one , no different in sound quality

Feb 25, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #9,997 of 10,546

Cost of the cable doesn't matter. It's luck of the draw. Some work well, others don't. I've tried just about all the ones I can find. I'm currently using the $65 ddHiFi MFi09S cable, and while the build of the cable is better than most, I do still have occasional issues. I have yet to have *any* OTG cable that doesn't eventually fail and start exhibiting issues.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #9,998 of 10,546
Cost of the cable doesn't matter. It's luck of the draw. Some work well, others don't. I've tried just about all the ones I can find. I'm currently using the $65 ddHiFi MFi09S cable, and while the build of the cable is better than most, I do still have occasional issues. I have yet to have *any* OTG cable that doesn't eventually fail and start exhibiting issues.
I did have one MFi09R fail. The classic white noise issue, which happen more frequently over time. I bought a couple more of the straight version, MFi09S, and now make sure I am very careful not to pull on the wire.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #9,999 of 10,546
I'll open a can of worms, but I picked up an Audioquest Cinnamon USB-C to USB-C cable. 0.75 meter. No issues at all so far.

And here's a bone: The sound is better than with my CableMatters cable. Seems tighter. Everything sounds just a little bit livelier. Not sure how to best describe it.

I spent an hour A/B ing cables, and I'm convinced than a cable can make a difference, however slight.

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #10,000 of 10,546
I'll open a can of worms, but I picked up an Audioquest Cinnamon USB-C to USB-C cable. 0.75 meter. No issues at all so far.

And here's a bone: The sound is better than with my CableMatters cable. Seems tighter. Everything sounds just a little bit livelier. Not sure how to best describe it.

I spent an hour A/B ing cables, and I'm convinced than a cable can make a difference, however slight.
All I can say is don't fall into the same trap that I did.
Your use of the phrase 'everything sounds just a little bit livelier' reminds me of my initial impressions of usb, all those years ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15927379

Feb 25, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #10,001 of 10,546

AQ makes good quality, well shielded cables. Just don't waste money on their esoteric DBS or silver plated stuff.

As for sonic differences, if you like the AQ more than the the CableMatters, totally cool. Many will argue for and against digital cables having a "sound", and there will never be total agreement.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #10,002 of 10,546

I will try one of those and see how they go.
I have only at this point used cheapo USB-C to USB-C cables but I completely accept your assessment that it is luck of the draw. That is what I suspected.

Your last sentence is also my experience, with the proviso in my case that some brands of El cheapo USB-C to USB-C cables exhibited the problem immediately from brand new. Sometimes bad to the point brand new that the cable wouldn't allow 30 seconds of uninterrupted listening before blasting a near deafening blast of volume or a ear bleeding screech.

Feb 25, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #10,003 of 10,546
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #10,004 of 10,546
Being a new Mojo 2 owner but having researched the issue before purchasing, I kind of expected the white noise issue.

Within 20 seconds of first using the Mojo 2 with an Anker USB-C cable, I was blasted with the noise. Reseating the cable only worked for about 2 minutes then I heard it again.

I then tried some old USB-C cable I had laying around, no brand name or anything. It has been several days now and not one issue with the white noise.

I don’t know the root cause, all I know is that it’s working and I’m hoping it stays that way.

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #10,005 of 10,546
Being a new Mojo 2 owner but having researched the issue before purchasing, I kind of expected the white noise issue.

Within 20 seconds of first using the Mojo 2 with an Anker USB-C cable, I was blasted with the noise. Reseating the cable only worked for about 2 minutes then I heard it again.

I then tried some old USB-C cable I had laying around, no brand name or anything. It has been several days now and not one issue with the white noise.

I don’t know the root cause, all I know is that it’s working and I’m hoping it stays that way.
In my experience, pretty much all dongles and portable DAC/amps are *very* picky about the USB cable you use. It's not just the Mojo 2. And, yeah, as you've discovered, sometimes it's the random generic pack-in USB charge cable for some random kid's toy that ends up working best. No idea why that's the case. Maybe something to do with the kinds of USB implementations that dongles and portables typically use in contrast to those used by desktop components. Whatever the reason, they all seem to be sensitive to even the slightest imperfection or kink in a USB cable.

Now when I use the Mojo 2 with my phone, I am very careful about never bending, twisting, or torquing the USB cable. With my prior cable, I even went so far as to layer 2-3 shrink tubes around the whole thing to keep it from moving (even that approach ultimately failed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back