Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #8,971 of 10,995
I haven't but I'm sure people have. Make sure you configure your TV to output two channel PCM and not multichannel Dolby sound as the Mojo won't decode Dolby etc.
I've done this.
In addition to the good advice above, I'd say 2 things will be crucial.
First is your choice of cable from the Mojo2 to the speakers / amp. Search the forums for advice and spend what you can afford.
Second, careful listening to get Mojo2' s output to the correct level to avoid distortion. Once you have it right, Mojo2 performs amazingly

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #8,972 of 10,995
Hello people! I'm getting the random white noise issue from MacBook (M1). As far as I can tell, there is no specific solution. Apple's own 3m Thunderbolt cable turns to white noise in 10 seconds. Some random short USB-C cable seems to work just fine...

Anyway, I wanted to ask for thoughts on whether there can be any adverse effects on sound quality if I connect the MacBook to a Dell monitor that has a built-in USB hub over Thunderbolt and then connect Mojo 2 to the monitor. Also, is there a difference whether I use the micro-USB or the USB-C port on the Mojo 2 in that configuration (it's USB-A on the monitor anyway)?

After some experimenting, I found that this avoids the white noise issue and helps with cable management overall. Still, I'm concerned about potential sound quality issues (even though I could not tell the difference during my short testing).

I suppose, to summarize my questions:
  1. Is the through-monitor solution okay sound-wise?
  2. If so, is there a difference between micro-USB and USB-C connection on Mojo 2 in that configuration?
  3. Or should I keep experimenting with other longer cables to connect directly to the MacBook at all costs?
  4. If so, again, is there a difference between micro-USB and USB-C connection on Mojo 2 in this direct setup?

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #8,978 of 10,995
Hello people! I'm getting the random white noise issue from MacBook (M1). As far as I can tell, there is no specific solution. Apple's own 3m Thunderbolt cable turns to white noise in 10 seconds. Some random short USB-C cable seems to work just fine...

Anyway, I wanted to ask for thoughts on whether there can be any adverse effects on sound quality if I connect the MacBook to a Dell monitor that has a built-in USB hub over Thunderbolt and then connect Mojo 2 to the monitor. Also, is there a difference whether I use the micro-USB or the USB-C port on the Mojo 2 in that configuration (it's USB-A on the monitor anyway)?

After some experimenting, I found that this avoids the white noise issue and helps with cable management overall. Still, I'm concerned about potential sound quality issues (even though I could not tell the difference during my short testing).

I suppose, to summarize my questions:
  1. Is the through-monitor solution okay sound-wise?
  2. If so, is there a difference between micro-USB and USB-C connection on Mojo 2 in that configuration?
  3. Or should I keep experimenting with other longer cables to connect directly to the MacBook at all costs?
  4. If so, again, is there a difference between micro-USB and USB-C connection on Mojo 2 in this direct setup?

Thanks!
There is a specific USB problem with the M1 MacBooks. Chord have a fix for it but you need to return the Mojo2 to be updated. This fix was released some time ago so I would have expected new units to already have the fix applied. You should contact Chord with your serial number to check.
I had this problem in mine but rarely used the Mojo with the MacBook so didn’t get it updated in the end.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #8,980 of 10,995
There is a specific USB problem with the M1 MacBooks. Chord have a fix for it but you need to return the Mojo2 to be updated. This fix was released some time ago so I would have expected new units to already have the fix applied. You should contact Chord with your serial number to check.
I had this problem in mine but rarely used the Mojo with the MacBook so didn’t get it updated in the end.
Thank you! I will likely do that then. It's a shame, just got mine less than a month ago. Haven't even tried connecting to my iPhone yet. If anyone has any thoughts on my other questions, I would very much appreciate if you shared them.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #8,981 of 10,995
Is the potential issue just with m1’s?

any issue with m2’s, or whatever the macs are up to?

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #8,982 of 10,995
Is the potential issue just with m1’s?

any issue with m2’s, or whatever the macs are up to?
It is specifically for M1 MacBooks, no problems with M2. Not heard that it is a problem with M1 in iPads either.
If you are having white noise issues with other devices first place to start investigating is the cable.

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #8,983 of 10,995
It is specifically for M1 MacBooks, no problems with M2. Not heard that it is a problem with M1 in iPads either.
If you are having white noise issues with other devices first place to start investigating is the cable.
Before switching to Mojo 2 I used Oppo HA-2 SE, and had no such problems. It did not have USB-C either, though.

On the topic of getting warm, mine does get pretty warm, too, especially in desktop mode, but not scary hot.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #8,985 of 10,995
Mojo will become the highest temperature when playing and charging at the same time if the battery is already low. If it’s left in desktop mode it should never really get very warm at all.
It's entirely possible it has been charging the times I've touched it, as I do disconnect and move it around sometimes, and when it's on, it's not easy to spot if the indicator is purple.

Same cable works fine on a Windows machine, so must be the Mac M1 issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back