Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
May 3, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #8,011 of 10,546
an Italian magazine did some technical tests, the difference in sound between the various streaming services is given by the audio compression, the best is Qobuz
At the risk of making others mad (sorry others), what do you mean by “compression”. Doesn’t this simply refer to the bit rate? But then those are what are posted and what we look for, eg cd redbook or 24/96 or whatever. Is there another form of compression the article refers to? I’m confused.

May 3, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #8,012 of 10,546
What defines “best” ?

Technically the best reproduction of a sound “as the artist intended” ….. god I hate that term.

Most pleasing sound in the opinion of the listening group ?

Anyway, this BS is derailing the chatter about Mojo 2 so I am done also.
Just guessing, but I think the site may have tested various services, such as spotify, Amazon etc. and found Qubuz the best.
If the service is used in compressed version, then Qubuz compressed service may have had the edge.
BUT !
in uncompressed version, they should all be the same, i.e. uncompressed PCM 16/24.

May 3, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #8,013 of 10,546
At the risk of making others mad (sorry others), what do you mean by “compression”. Doesn’t this simply refer to the bit rate? But then those are what are posted and what we look for, eg cd redbook or 24/96 or whatever. Is there another form of compression the article refers to? I’m confused.
Just guessing, but I think the site may have tested various services, such as spotify, Amazon etc. and found Qubuz the best.
If the service is used in compressed version, then Qubuz compressed service may have had the edge.
BUT !
in uncompressed version, they should all be the same, i.e. uncompressed PCM 16/24.
Right. So you’re saying the services added their own compression to the native file and Qobuz added less? Hmmm…. That would be kind of fraudulent advertising on the part of all of them. I am still not sure i understand.

May 3, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #8,014 of 10,546
Compression is used during studio recording, or in live applications as a live signal reinforcement, or in radio transmission in order to optimize the level of the sound signal, so that it is best perceived, regardless of the playback system in use. In practice, it is a system used to reduce the dynamic excursion of a signal: such intervention can affect the fidelity of the sound.

May 3, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #8,015 of 10,546
Compression is used during studio recording, or in live applications as a live signal reinforcement, or in radio transmission in order to optimize the level of the sound signal, so that it is best perceived, regardless of the playback system in use. In practice, it is a system used to reduce the dynamic excursion of a signal: such intervention can affect the fidelity of the sound.
Aware. And none of these scenarios apply here. Still confused

May 3, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #8,016 of 10,546
Right. So you’re saying the services added their own compression to the native file and Qobuz added less? Hmmm…. That would be kind of fraudulent advertising on the part of all of them. I am still not sure i understand.
No it isn't. They use multicast.
On services such as Qubuz you can choose high def or not! Depending on your connection speed.
I think Spotify as yet only has compressed service. Amazon music is compressed, but Amazon Music unlimited can be uncompressed.
Most people using these services on their phones, using cell internet use a compressed service, otherwise there would be interruptions.

https://www.techhive.com/article/79...te-when-is-spotifys-lossless-tier-coming.html

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #8,017 of 10,546
Aware. And none of these scenarios apply here. Still confused
No such compression as that would be used on a lossless FLAC file from a server online

May 3, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #8,018 of 10,546
No it isn't. They use multicast.
On services such as Qubuz you can choose high def or not! Depending on your connection speed.
I think Spotify as yet only has compressed service. Amazon music is compressed, but Amazon Music unlimited can be uncompressed.
Most people using these services on their phones, using cell internet use a compressed service, otherwise there would be interruptions.
Yes aware of this as well. Thought we were talking about comparing a highest offering resolution of these services. I doubt anyone questions intentionally selecting 320 kbps will sound potentially lossy or compressed compared to its lossless counterpart. Yes I understand this form of compression fully well. That’s not what the Italian study was referring to either.
Listen, I know some don’t want this here as it’s not about the Mojo 2. Zap67, can you refer those of us who are interested directly to the article. A title or a link?
🙏

May 3, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #8,019 of 10,546
I want to know if Tidal or Qobuz imparts their own effects whatever they may be on the FLAC code outgoing from the server. If so I will quit exclusively streaming and start buying music again. I don’t think the codec is compressed from it’s advertised bit rate outgoing the server. More likely these servers vary in their error rate in delivering bit perfect. I’m sorry, I just want to understand this better.

May 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #8,020 of 10,546
Regarding Amazon Music Unlimited...

Amazon Music Unlimited offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD. HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.

In order to take advantage of Amazon’s Ultra HD hi-res quality (lossless 24-bit/192kHz resolution), your device must support it. So, the sound quality may vary depending on the device capability and your selected settings.

My Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra supports
32-bit/384kHz audio
Tuned by AKG

So, I do not think I am listening to anything compressed when I am listening from my phone using my Mojo 2 connected with a cable.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #8,021 of 10,546
Regarding Amazon Music Unlimited...

Amazon Music Unlimited offers lossless audio in two quality ranges: HD and Ultra HD.
Only if the original file allows it.
HD tracks have a bit depth of 16-bits, a minimum sample rate of 44.1 kHz (also referred to as CD-quality), and an average bitrate of 850 kbps. Ultra HD tracks have a bit depth of 24 bits, sample rates ranging from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, and an average bitrate of 3730 kbps.
i.e. lossless PCM
In order to take advantage of Amazon’s Ultra HD hi-res quality (lossless 24-bit/192kHz resolution), your device must support it. So, the sound quality may vary depending on the device capability and your selected settings.
So, I do not think I am listening to anything compressed when I am listening from my phone using my Mojo 2 connected with a cable.
Only if you choose HD or ultra HD. Otherwise you may be.

1683146932168.png

May 3, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #8,022 of 10,546
Only if the original file allows it.

i.e. lossless PCM
Only if you choose HD or ultra HD. Otherwise you may be.

1683146932168.png
Of course. This is why in my post, inside the spoiler, it says: So, the sound quality may vary depending on the device capability and your selected settings.

May 3, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #8,023 of 10,546
I know. It’s okay. I’m way in the weeds. I was wondering what factors could make a 16/44.1 FLAC from Tidal sound different from same 16/44.1 FLAC file from Qobuz. You know, technical factors from an online server. Things I don’t know about. Didn’t mean to get everyone discussing studio and broadcasting compression versus multicast choice of bit rate options the user can select on the streaming services, etc. it seems I confused everyone and sorry for that.
Anyway please resume with M2 talk. I for one have had this thing for over a week and am hearing new details in my music at times that I’ve never heard before. Listening on Fostex TH900. I am very impressed.
Last weekend I ran it into my Bryston b135 int amp with a Mogami Gold 3.5 to stereo RCA. Was wholly impressed once I volume matched it for line level that it was as good as the onboard Bryston DAC. And y’all already know I’m in love with its EQ. Love this little box of magic!

May 3, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #8,024 of 10,546
I think something has been lost in the language/translation barrier.

I read the original post to mean that some listening panel subjectively thought that Qobuz was best but the poster was saying that the specific sound quality could be subject to change depending on the setting you use, that being Hi Res versus lossless or even lower quality if streaming on mobile and conserving data.

Seems kinda obvious that all the lossless services are just that ..... the historic Tidal issue aside.

Mojo 2 please resume normal transmission ....... :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back