Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 5, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #7,576 of 11,010
Absolutely makes sense.
In my descripion of the differences between H2 and M2 I use different wording, but goes into the same direction:
* H2 has a better focused imaging, with each element being more clearly positioned and better separated from the others
* H2 has a significantly deeper soundstage with better layering, and slightly wider soundstage
* H2 has a bit better definition and speed in the initial attack, but significantly more detail in the decay and reverb. M2 has a "one note decay"
* H2 has deeper and better textured bass, and a little bit of that as well in the treble

To the point of M2 sounding warmer - I would not use that word to be honest, but it is hard to put in words what I hear. H2 is livlier and more energetic, but not colder, it's clearer. M2 sounds a bit blander and "muffled", but both these words sound too strong, since M2 is NOT bland and muffled. Just not as clear and lively as H2.

M1 was really a warm sounding DAC with clean and detailed mids, flanked by smooth and silky treble and a slightly relaxed and slow-ish bass. M2 sounds way more even.
In a sense I miss M!, but I really could not justify having both M1 and M2. Maybe a TT2 in the future? It's said to combine and better the musical warmth of M1 with the detail and clarity of H2.

Very well put. Thanks for providing this.

I have the TT2 as well, but I wager it will be a few more months before I get to comparing in A/B fashion. I would need to clear out the tube amps and all that and sit down properly with the M1, M2, H2 and TT2.

Apr 5, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #7,577 of 11,010
Very well put. Thanks for providing this.

I have the TT2 as well, but I wager it will be a few more months before I get to comparing in A/B fashion. I would need to clear out the tube amps and all that and sit down properly with the M1, M2, H2 and TT2.
Really looking forward to that family shootout!

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #7,578 of 11,010
Can the Mojo 2 power ZMF headphones? The Atrium, in particular? I'm considering selling some gear and investing in more portable stuff.
Mojo2 can power Atrium. It’s not bad. But maybe it’s better wait for new ZMF portable?

Attachments

• 265D23DA-146F-4DC2-9574-DFBA2D5A6051.jpeg
    265D23DA-146F-4DC2-9574-DFBA2D5A6051.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #7,579 of 11,010
Mojo2 can power Atrium. It’s not bad. But maybe it’s better wait for new ZMF portable?
ZMF portable? This a rumour or news? I don't really keep up with ZMF happenings...

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #7,580 of 11,010
ZMF portable? This a rumour or news? I don't really keep up with ZMF happenings...
It should be a closed back with 80 Ohms impedance according to Zach. I can't wait to buy it. Should be perfect with Mojo2.

1680707675864.png

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #7,581 of 11,010
It should be a closed back with 80 Ohms impedance according to Zach. I can't wait to buy it. Should be perfect with Mojo2.

1680707675864.png
Ah ok, interesting. I'll keep an eye on that. Hopefully portable means actually being portable rather than just easy to drive.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #7,582 of 11,010
Ah ok, interesting. I'll keep an eye on that. Hopefully portable means actually being portable rather than just easy to drive.
If you want to use it with Mojo2 it's probably a better choice. $1000 vs $2500.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #7,583 of 11,010
Does anyone else's Mojo2 get warm when fully charged and switched off, but connected to power in "Intelligent Desktop Mode"? I'm a bit surprised, as I understood that the battery would be fully bypassed in this scenario. I'm not sure what else could be generating heat if not the battery.

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #7,584 of 11,010
Does anyone else's Mojo2 get warm when fully charged and switched off, but connected to power in "Intelligent Desktop Mode"? I'm a bit surprised, as I understood that the battery would be fully bypassed in this scenario. I'm not sure what else could be generating heat if not the battery.
Electric circuits(e.g. Processors) do certainly produce heat, battery powered or not. In the end the mojo2 is just a computer. What if it's really switched off, cannot test now. Maybe the others will test or know better. BUt as far as I remember there is battery management unit which is working even if battery is not loading.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #7,585 of 11,010
Please find Post number 1,981 of this thread, maybe this is 1 explanation.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #7,586 of 11,010
who can listen to the XTC's of JM Editions, are fantastic, mine are burning in, as soon as they are ready I will post a review

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #7,587 of 11,010
Electric circuits(e.g. Processors) do certainly produce heat, battery powered or not.... BUt as far as I remember there is battery management unit which is working even if battery is not loading.
Please find Post number 1,981 of this thread, maybe this is 1 explanation.
Thanks guys. That seems to be exactly it. Below is the conversation earlier in the thread that explains it, for anyone curious.

My understanding is that the desktop mode isolates the battery and stops charging it when it is full. Can i assume then that the charging circuit drives the output stage and the battery is out of the equation? If so can i also assume that removing the battery altogether would achieve the same result; as in the charging circuit driving the output stage?
I am not convinced on that yet. I left it off and connected overnight with the magenta light up. In the morning the mojo was slightly warm to the touch which indicates that something is going on even on desktop mode and when the mojo is off. Would like to know what
So the internal charger circuit is still on (but not charging), and that means the FPGA is active too (albeit in low power mode), as this provides the intelligence for the charger. Also, it will top up the battery every 11 days by applying a trickle charge cycle, to replenish the batteries internal discharge. So running it for months in desktop mode will ensure the battery is ready to go fully charged. Note also that the full charge voltage is at the long term safe voltage level, not the maximum possible.

Additionally Mojo 2 will still function via the charger port if the battery fails - even if it shorts internally. When off and charging into a short, the menu button will flash red indicating a battery fault. Turning it on, it will still function from the charger, as the shorted battery is disconnected.

Regarding pairing with the Atrium, this is based on impressions from the show floor (so take them with a grain), but I spent quite a bit of time at CanJam NYC listening to the Atriums with my Mojo2/Poly. I thought the combo sounded fantastic, and I suspect there is an Atrium in my future. I'd expect them to hopefully sound even better on my desktop system, but if I had to live with only the M2 driving the Atriums every day I would be perfectly happy.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #7,588 of 11,010
who can listen to the XTC's of JM Editions, are fantastic, mine are burning in, as soon as they are ready I will post a review
Who can listen XTC try them, sorry

Apr 5, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #7,589 of 11,010
I just received my new mojo2. The EQ deserves a thread of its own. Hats off to Mr Watts! This thing is uniquely special. I consider myself a tweaking audiophile. And I’m quite the EQ snob. I only listen to EQ on hi fi gear that’s hifi integrated and lossless. My mastering broad Q tone shaping analog hardware device at home is connected to my Bryston b135 integrated with Cardas Clear Sky pseudo balanced XLR to RCA cables. It’s the best possible mating of these two pieces. The result is completely lossless in terms of staging resolution and imaging and changes the sonic signature to whatever you want. Superb. Now, the best EQ until now that I’ve found for my Fostex th900’s is the Shure SHA900 Dac amp. The onboard EQ I have directly compared ab to neutron, roon, and auralic implementations. The Shure EQ is also special and edges them all out unless severely boosted in terms of the above qualities. Comes closest to my big rig hardware analog studio grade EQ. SHA900 is the best most musical near lossless digital EQ I’ve ever heard…until now!
Watts uhd EQ is indeed the cats meow and a world beater. First, there’s no master gain attenuation when you boost. So boost away without fear with this digital EQ. It doesn’t clip. Period. Phenomenal. Second, no midrange compromise or suck out whatsoever. Details to piano strings vocals guitar all UNAFFECTED to my picky ear by significant bass and or treble boosts. You truly loose nothing SQ wise by using this EQ. Even aggressively. And for the first time ever, with the possible exception of the sha900, I’m able to boost air treble band and get nothing but sweetness without any degradation. I do like smiley face EQ even on hi fi gear for average quality rock recordings. Having lossless EQ makes such recordings so much more FUN to play when there’s no degradation in fidelity.
WAY TO GO, MR. WATTS! You knocked this DSP out of the ballpark!

Apr 6, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #7,590 of 11,010
Who can listen XTC try them, sorry
The 1982 album by XTC , "English Settlement" is were it started for me. Had to save up a weeks wages potato picking to buy it. Still listen to it regularly now. Of coarse now in proper fidelity and a proper understanding of the theme and lyrics of the album. That is , basically this country is screwed. A young Alan Partridge and Colin Moulding were both looking into the future back then. Ya must check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back