Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 4, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #7,561 of 10,527
Just Mojo 2 and TT2 next to each other.
To Mojo 2 and to TT2, too ?

Wow....

...and for all these years I thought that, "To be, or not to be", was THE question...:wink:

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #7,562 of 10,527
As desktop units the only difference i can make a fuzz about is the power. Apart from that is all down to functionality and features. Both units have their user case and can equally be competent devices but personally i wouldn't put the sound quality as the critical factor. To me when volume matched the differences are in the spectrum of placebo if there are any differences at all.

Apr 4, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #7,563 of 10,527
As desktop units the only difference i can make a fuzz about is the power. Apart from that is all down to functionality and features. Both units have their user case and can equally be competent devices but personally i wouldn't put the sound quality as the critical factor. To me when volume matched the differences are in the spectrum of placebo if there are any differences at all.
I know my wallet would have liked to say it was placebo.
Unfortunately for the wallet the ears and brain said otherwise .

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #7,564 of 10,527
Today is the first time I did anything close to comparing the Mojo 2 to the Hugo 2. Four observations I'd like to corroborate with the experience of others:

1) The H2 has the vocals more properly positioned. While I like intimate vocals, the H2 takes them back just enough to make it sound more natural and cohesive with the rest of the sound.
2) The H2 has wider soundstage, maybe I'm imagining this because everything is more evenly positioned?
3) The H2 has a bit more detail, especially on guitars. Again could be a factor of positioning of the instruments.
4) The M2 is warmer. This can be a + on some track and a - on others.

Both units were properly warmed up. No EQ applied. Volume matched I'd say. FLAC source files.

Does this make sense or am I imagining things?
With some assistance, you might enjoy doing a blind test to track your observations.
Given the price difference between the 2, I expect the differences to be easy to spot on but who knows.
It looks like an interesting experiment in any cases. Not saying it will confirm everything because our brain has a lot of bias back doors ...
I would love to watch more reviews that actually realise this kind of blind tests but for some reasons it is relatively uncommon.
FWIW the only reviews that I have watched so far were fun with results for preferences that were - surprisingly enough - sometimes reverse relative to the prices of each tested item.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #7,566 of 10,527
I did my blind test and that’s where my conclusions is drawn from. But that’s just me
Well then the only way to know would be to do blind tests with a population.
Tbh at that stage, I would be happy with what you hear/feel and would not bother too much.
What you describe doesn't seem illogical and it probably reflects the intentions behind both products.

Apr 4, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #7,567 of 10,527
I lived with the Hugo 2 for nearly 2 years and the OG Mojo.
When I wanted a change I as lucky enough the first lock down started so had Dave M-Scaler , Benchmark,RME and the TT2 all in the house for a few months.
The TT2 was the one that stayed with me me.
I even tried kind of convincing myself the M-Scaler didn’t take up much room under the TT2.
In the end I couldn’t justify the M-Scaler .
Yes it did things slightly differently I wouldn’t say everything better just slightly differently.
I compared the dacs though a passive preamp all with the same cables into a Benchmark Amp at the time.
I would flick the the switch several times with out looking and sit back down and listen.
After a few tracks switch again with out knowing which was playing.
I only volume match by ear so this isn’t 100% accurate.

I first got the Mojo 2 on its release and only had it a few months.
Sold it on.
Had problems with the white noise issue.
I bought the unit I have now from Peter Tyson for £399 with a 5 year warranty.
Absolutely no problems with this unit.
It’s been as as gold.

I did the same switching method between it and the TT2 with the passive pre in line between to my power amp.
I’m sure 90% of people could tell the difference .
One is clearly better at note decay, detail, stage height and depth.
The music seems to come from a blacker background and a bigger stage like it’s being played in a larger room or hall.
On headphones I only use the TT2 from the XLR outputs so it’s not a comparison I can make with the Mojo 2.

As good as all these dacs are and some are excellent for the price they are still bettered by my 45 year rebuilt Technics Moving Coil cartridge and my modded Denon Moving coil.

Digital can sound good but still has a long way to go before it’s as good as vinyl.

I would go as far to say the Mojo 2 is more analog sounding than Hugo 2 and the RME dacs.

It’s all a personal preference at the end of the day.

I know the Mojo 2 is far more portable than a vinyl rig and a lot less fuss .😀

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #7,568 of 10,527
using mojo2 with iPhone as a player via usb-c to lighting.

just wonder which brand that u guys use?

Apr 4, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #7,569 of 10,527
using mojo2 with iPhone as a player via usb-c to lighting.

just wonder which brand that u guys use?

If you mean cable, I use the one by FiiO and have had no issues with it.

Apr 5, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #7,572 of 10,527
Apr 5, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #7,573 of 10,527
The other cable that I use is from QED.
It’s longer and requires the Apple adapter.
Had no problems with that either.

I use ddhifi cables and the one that came with the Ibasso DC04 pro with dongle dacs.
Again no problem at all.
They’re just shorter in length.
The Fiio fits my needs the best with my phone.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #7,574 of 10,527
Today is the first time I did anything close to comparing the Mojo 2 to the Hugo 2. Four observations I'd like to corroborate with the experience of others:

1) The H2 has the vocals more properly positioned. While I like intimate vocals, the H2 takes them back just enough to make it sound more natural and cohesive with the rest of the sound.
2) The H2 has wider soundstage, maybe I'm imagining this because everything is more evenly positioned?
3) The H2 has a bit more detail, especially on guitars. Again could be a factor of positioning of the instruments.
4) The M2 is warmer. This can be a + on some track and a - on others.

Both units were properly warmed up. No EQ applied. Volume matched I'd say. FLAC source files.

Does this make sense or am I imagining things?
Absolutely makes sense.
In my descripion of the differences between H2 and M2 I use different wording, but goes into the same direction:
* H2 has a better focused imaging, with each element being more clearly positioned and better separated from the others
* H2 has a significantly deeper soundstage with better layering, and slightly wider soundstage
* H2 has a bit better definition and speed in the initial attack, but significantly more detail in the decay and reverb. M2 has a "one note decay"
* H2 has deeper and better textured bass, and a little bit of that as well in the treble

To the point of M2 sounding warmer - I would not use that word to be honest, but it is hard to put in words what I hear. H2 is livlier and more energetic, but not colder, it's clearer. M2 sounds a bit blander and "muffled", but both these words sound too strong, since M2 is NOT bland and muffled. Just not as clear and lively as H2.

M1 was really a warm sounding DAC with clean and detailed mids, flanked by smooth and silky treble and a slightly relaxed and slow-ish bass. M2 sounds way more even.
In a sense I miss M!, but I really could not justify having both M1 and M2. Maybe a TT2 in the future? It's said to combine and better the musical warmth of M1 with the detail and clarity of H2.

Apr 5, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #7,575 of 10,527
Absolutely makes sense.
In my descripion of the differences between H2 and M2 I use different wording, but goes into the same direction:
* H2 has a better focused imaging, with each element being more clearly positioned and better separated from the others
* H2 has a significantly deeper soundstage with better layering, and slightly wider soundstage
* H2 has a bit better definition and speed in the initial attack, but significantly more detail in the decay and reverb. M2 has a "one note decay"
* H2 has deeper and better textured bass, and a little bit of that as well in the treble

To the point of M2 sounding warmer - I would not use that word to be honest, but it is hard to put in words what I hear. H2 is livlier and more energetic, but not colder, it's clearer. M2 sounds a bit blander and "muffled", but both these words sound too strong, since M2 is NOT bland and muffled. Just not as clear and lively as H2.

M1 was really a warm sounding DAC with clean and detailed mids, flanked by smooth and silky treble and a slightly relaxed and slow-ish bass. M2 sounds way more even.
In a sense I miss M!, but I really could not justify having both M1 and M2. Maybe a TT2 in the future? It's said to combine and better the musical warmth of M1 with the detail and clarity of H2.
Totally agree with you.
That’s why I class the Mojo 2 more like a mini TT2 than a smaller Hugo 2.
You right about it seems bland and muffled but it’s not.
I think it just doesn’t have the detail of Hugo 2 and it’s better for it in the long run.
In my view.
I never find I get ear fatigue with the Mojo 2 even though it can be detailed and bright if you choose to EQ that way.
It’s not a warm as OG Mojo and not a bright as Hugo 2.
There’s more stage and depth with Mojo 2 than OG Mojo.

I think Chord did an excellent job with the Mojo 2.
It’s not perfect nothing is but for the asking price I really can’t see much competition.
Makes a lovely desktop unit or use it mobile as it’s small enough to not get in the way.
All in all I think it’s great👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back