Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 18, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #7,336 of 10,893
I am right there with you. I know GoldenSound mentioned using the Ferrum stack alongside the Mojo 2 for Susvara and was happy. I’m looking hard at the Bliss to team with Mojo 2.
It’s tricky you see because the argument would be why not step up to the Hugo 2 which even though on paper does not seem like it has much more power I’ve been told that it powers most headphones out there to the fullest potential.

I don’t think you could run the Arya or the heddphone off the mojo even my LCD X does not feel as though it’s been driven to its absolute limits, does anyone have any direct experience with the Hugo 2? How big of a jump is it from the mojo?

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #7,337 of 10,893
It’s tricky you see because the argument would be why not step up to the Hugo 2 which even though on paper does not seem like it has much more power I’ve been told that it powers most headphones out there to the fullest potential.

I don’t think you could run the Arya or the heddphone off the mojo even my LCD X does not feel as though it’s been driven to its absolute limits, does anyone have any direct experience with the Hugo 2? How big of a jump is it from the mojo?
Right. I don’t have personal experience with the Hugo 2 but have seen comments from folks who do. Ranges from small to fairly noticeable jump in performance. Of course, you lose the lossless EQ feature in that jump. Though I know it’s quite the jump in money, I’d personally say look at going from Mojo 2 to TT2. Again, if the budget and desk space allows. Another option is Qutest and external amp.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #7,338 of 10,893
Right. I don’t have personal experience with the Hugo 2 but have seen comments from folks who do. Ranges from small to fairly noticeable jump in performance. Of course, you lose the lossless EQ feature in that jump. Though I know it’s quite the jump in money, I’d personally say look at going from Mojo 2 to TT2. Again, if the budget and desk space allows. Another option is Qutest and external amp.
Might be better off waiting for the next generation of chord dacs, judging by how good the mojo is for the price I think we could see something special happen in the future.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #7,339 of 10,893
I’m fortunate enough to have used all 3.
I had the Hugo 2 for two years and TT2 for 3 years.

The Mojo 2 is in my view the bargain of the bunch.
I use the Mojo 2 stuck to my iPhone all day .
Indoors only.

I only use the TT2 from the Xlr outputs.

Sound wise not stating the obvious the TT2 used this way is several steps ahead.
I have sold all my other headphone amps and only keep a Vorzuge Pure +ii .

Mojo 2 on its own is a wonderful dac yes can be made better with external amps but price quickly comes into play.

The EQ feature on Mojo 2 is great.
At first I thought it was going to be a fad thing but find myself using it .

Just my view I would skip Hugo 2 .

I have no desire to pursue any other desktop or Hifi dac/amp.

I do buy and try the dongle dac things and I’m constantly amazed at the sound quality these can produce at there price points.

If I was starting out again I would buy a Mojo 2 in a heartbeat and add a amp if the headphones used needed it.

Then sell on the Mojo 2 for a TT2 when funds allow.
Or keep the Mojo 2 as a mini TT2 used portable.

Just my take.
I’m not a Chord fan boy just find I keep coming back to there dacs.
It’s something about the depth of the sound stage that gets me.
I don’t seem to find that with other dacs.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #7,340 of 10,893
I have sold all my other headphone amps and only keep a Vorzuge Pure +ii .
Re, the VorzAMP Pure II+ can it be left connected on the mains, charging, all the time? Does it have something like the desktop mode of the Mojo 2?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #7,341 of 10,893

I have both the Mojo and Hugo2, but virtually all of my listening nowadays is done with the Hugo2.

Yes i did notice an improvement in sound quality from the Hugo2, but that is to be expected because it has more taps and more pulse array elements than the Mojo.
Unfortunately I have never tried to quantify just what % better is the Hugo2, but I felt that it was noticeable. In addition after using the Hugo2 for a while, when I returned to the Mojo it did sound slightly veiled in comparison.

Regarding the power output of the Hugo2, I use it to drive Grado Sr80i, Beyer DT770 , Sennheiser HD598SE, Aeon Flow Closed, Koss ESP/95X, and never feel like they are underpowered.
I also use the Hugo2 to direct drive desktop speakers, plus floorstanding speakers, to levels loud enough for me (I realise that other posters prefer much louder sound levels).
Overall I think that Hugo2 probably can power most phones adequately, however there are a handful of phones that are notoriously power hungry, and for those you probably need to look at the TT2.

Just my experience, and other posters may have different viewpoints, so try and demo if possible any phones/amps before you buy.

Mar 18, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #7,342 of 10,893
Re, the VorzAMP Pure II+ can it be left connected on the mains, charging, all the time? Does it have something like the desktop mode of the Mojo 2?
Yes I have left it plugged in with no problems at all.
I would check with the manufacturer first as I can’t remember if it says you can or not.
I had no problems with it connected to the Mojo 2 and Hugo 2 .

Just my view again but that Vorzuge amp is very good and doesn’t get the recognition it deserves.
You hardly see them mentioned.

I personally know two others that use a Mojo with a Vorzuge amp.
I mainly use it from dongle dacs and a phono stage.

Regarding buying anything more expensive than the Mojo 2 I would recommend getting a home demo .
I was very fortunate that I had a Dave and Mscaler on a extended home demo and asked for the TT2.

Dave and Mscaler were with me for over 2 months.
The TT2 just under 3 weeks.
Unfortunately for the Dave I received one of my favourite cartridges back from Expert Stylus while I had it.
A completely rebuilt 40 year old cartridge put an end to the Dave and Mscaler.
So I respectfully kissed them and packed them back in there boxes.

I preferred the headphones out put on the TT2 over the Dave as well.
I tried using the TT2 direct to my speakers Eclipse T-D 712z but found it lacking in the low end.
There not very efficient single driver speakers .

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #7,343 of 10,893
Hey guys,

Was just wondering how you are all powering your chord mojo 2.

It seems that the mojo responds differently with regards to how it’s charged, I found that with the ifi ipower x the sound was brighter.

Would using an audiophile micro usb cable lead to better results then using standard cables?

I do really like the sound of this device just interested on how I can push its performance to the max since it is my desktop DAC/Amp.

iPower 2 (5V 2.5A)
glass optical
ferrite coated silver plated copper rca

0C9417C3-B0B6-4EEF-B78D-7A1E15FC82EB.jpeg

Measurements for the ipower are excellent

E27B32A0-8454-499D-9E45-BF392CB9B451.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #7,344 of 10,893
Hey guys,

Was just wondering how you are all powering your chord mojo 2.

It seems that the mojo responds differently with regards to how it’s charged, I found that with the ifi ipower x the sound was brighter.

Would using an audiophile micro usb cable lead to better results then using standard cables?

I do really like the sound of this device just interested on how I can push its performance to the max since it is my desktop DAC/Amp.
I am using Mojo 2 in desktop mode with a 20.000 mah power bank for 10 hours/day.

Mar 19, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #7,346 of 10,893
Posted this in the M Scaler thread, but it’s mildly relevant to the Mojo2…

I’ve not owned an M Scaler for long, but I think long enough to start experimenting to see ex’s toy what it brings to the party. I know what it’s added to the TT2, but I really wanted another DAC on it to try and triangulate its impact.
I started off with Mojo2/Poly with two tracks I have on micro SD. These two tracks from Poly, then from an Innuos Zen MK3 via USB, then from the Innuos & M Scaler.

The Innuos is clearly more resolving and spacious than Poly. I think a price appropriate gap in performance. But the gap between those two is smaller than the gap between Innuos alone and adding the M Scaler. I’m quite shocked the gap is so big in terms of a “performance” instead of the usual rendering. Then I went to TT2/HMS…

You know…I’ll have to double check a bit…but I reckon the change adding the M Scaler to Mojo2 is a bigger difference than moving to TT2 from the point of musical ease and enjoyment. TT2 is obviously heaps better, but using M Scaler on two different DACs sort of lets you see what it’s bringing to the party. It’s a brilliant device that seems to bring resolution, ease and realism to what it’s attached to. If you value those three things, as I do, I think the M Scaler makes MUSICAL sense on the Mojo2.

Two Hugo2 owning friends will be around at some point to check it out, too. If M Scaler brings the same musical benefits it really is a no brainer.

I used Focal Stellia for all of the listening so that the Mojo2 would have a fair fight against TT2 in what it was driving.

I tried HQ Player before I decided on the M Scaler. I really liked it, but it’s disadvantages (no support via the Innuos, cumbersome in comparison) meant M Scaler all the way.

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #7,349 of 10,893

I’ve not owned an M Scaler for long, but I think long enough to start experimenting to see ex’s toy what it brings to the party. I know what it’s added to the TT2, but I really wanted another DAC on it to try and triangulate its impact.
I started off with Mojo2/Poly with two tracks I have on micro SD. These two tracks from Poly, then from an Innuos Zen MK3 via USB, then from the Innuos & M Scaler.

The Innuos is clearly more resolving and spacious than Poly. I think a price appropriate gap in performance. But the gap between those two is smaller than the gap between Innuos alone and adding the M Scaler. I’m quite shocked the gap is so big in terms of a “performance” instead of the usual rendering. Then I went to TT2/HMS…

You know…I’ll have to double check a bit…but I reckon the change adding the M Scaler to Mojo2 is a bigger difference than moving to TT2 from the point of musical ease and enjoyment. TT2 is obviously heaps better, but using M Scaler on two different DACs sort of lets you see what it’s bringing to the party. It’s a brilliant device that seems to bring resolution, ease and realism to what it’s attached to. If you value those three things, as I do, I think the M Scaler makes MUSICAL sense on the Mojo2.

Two Hugo2 owning friends will be around at some point to check it out, too. If M Scaler brings the same musical benefits it really is a no brainer.

I used Focal Stellia for all of the listening so that the Mojo2 would have a fair fight against TT2 in what it was driving.

I tried HQ Player before I decided on the M Scaler. I really liked it, but it’s disadvantages (no support via the Innuos, cumbersome in comparison) meant M Scaler all the way.
So M Scaler is driving your Mojo 2, and it reads like you enjoy the result.
I wouldn't want to risk trying this combo in case I couldn't live without the M Scaler :atm:

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #7,350 of 10,893

I wondered several hundred pages ago on this thread whether adding an M Scaler to the Mojo 2 would make for an unconventional upgrade path. It seems it does.
I am curious to know your opinion on two topics. Does HMS make most difference to red book (44/16) files or is there an equally large difference with higher res files? Secondly, how does M2 with HMS compare to other DACs, such as H2 and TT2,
without HMS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back