Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 17, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #7,321 of 10,895
Did the driver install the ASIO Chord 1.05 also? I have two laptops and it only installed on the Win11 machine, not the older Win10. For this reason, I got the ASIO4ALL (downloads free of charge) and it hooks up with the Chord driver. Works really well now on both machines, much better than WASAPI or Direct or Kernel or whatever is on your particular list of devices.
Yes it also installed ASIO Chord 1.05 on my Windows 11 laptop, my office desktop is running Windows 10, I do not remember whether it installed ASIO chord 1.05 or not, but it still works flawlessly via Tidal and Foobar in exclusive mode.

Is ASIO4ALL a generic driver and should be installed?

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #7,322 of 10,895
Well, yes I am aware of Rob Watts opinion that their DAC obviates the need for hi-res or DSD source files. After all, that is the value proposition, save on expensive downloads and spend the money with us instead!

Just to clarify - I haven't said it obviates the need for hi-res, just that the WTA filter reduces the gap from integer higher sample rates. My advice is always to use the recording that is closest to the original, so if it's originally 192k (particularly when they non integer sample rate convert to 44.1) then try to get the 192k. No amount of WTA filtering will recover the damage done from non integer sample rate conversion.

Wondering if Intelligent Desktop Mode can pull more than 2A from a USB wallwart? Listed specs say 2A min. My Anker can supply up to 4.8A/24 watts through its USB type A port (5v x 4.8A = 24w). Can Intelligent Desktop Mode take advantage of this to power hungry headphones? Does charging from this supply reduce battery life compared to a typical 2A port?

No it won't pull more than 2A. The reason Chord recommend 2A as a minimum is actually not the current, but the voltage. If the VBUS voltage is within USB spec of 5v +/- 0.25v at Mojo2's charging port, everything will be fine. It's just that some chargers with the supplied charging cable will not do this - and it's much more likely to be on spec if you specify a 2A or greater charger. This is the reason I put a charging voltage indicator on Mojo 2 - if when you charge it when Mojo 2 is off, and the menu button is white, you are charging at the max rate possible. If this is not happening, then try a different charging cable, as the voltage drop is most likely in the cable.

Mar 18, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #7,323 of 10,895
Saturday night lights!

Attachments

• 25A0F761-E2B9-45A0-A18D-F7D2EB67A9CD.jpeg
    25A0F761-E2B9-45A0-A18D-F7D2EB67A9CD.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #7,324 of 10,895
Damn it vile woman. You made me buy a expensive closed back headphone just because i dont want to hear you complain about my loud music.

Yeah. I choose a black heavy ones with audeze written all over in big white letters.

Hope the mojo 2 is good enough with this combination.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #7,326 of 10,895
Just to clarify - I haven't said it obviates the need for hi-res, just that the WTA filter reduces the gap from integer higher sample rates. My advice is always to use the recording that is closest to the original, so if it's originally 192k (particularly when they non integer sample rate convert to 44.1) then try to get the 192k. No amount of WTA filtering will recover the damage done from non integer sample rate conversion.

No it won't pull more than 2A. The reason Chord recommend 2A as a minimum is actually not the current, but the voltage. If the VBUS voltage is within USB spec of 5v +/- 0.25v at Mojo2's charging port, everything will be fine. It's just that some chargers with the supplied charging cable will not do this - and it's much more likely to be on spec if you specify a 2A or greater charger. This is the reason I put a charging voltage indicator on Mojo 2 - if when you charge it when Mojo 2 is off, and the menu button is white, you are charging at the max rate possible. If this is not happening, then try a different charging cable, as the voltage drop is most likely in the cable.

Interesting, thanks for noticing my post. Actually, I have wondered about this for a while - is it preferable to upsample a CD Redbook to double the rate as opposed to the more common 96k? And is it preferable for a DVD to go 96 rather than 88.2? Is it alright in either case to go back by halving?

And is there a similar concern with bitdepth, ie doubling to 32 could be an improvement but 24 might not be such a good idea? IMHO 32 often makes a nice improvement, especially in bass/midbass although there's no way to verify that 16 extra bits aren't blank and a waste of space.

Finally, would conversion to/from DSD avoid these issues altogether?

Cheers,

TG04

Mar 18, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #7,327 of 10,895
Hey guys,

Was just wondering how you are all powering your chord mojo 2.

It seems that the mojo responds differently with regards to how it’s charged, I found that with the ifi ipower x the sound was brighter.

Would using an audiophile micro usb cable lead to better results then using standard cables?

I do really like the sound of this device just interested on how I can push its performance to the max since it is my desktop DAC/Amp.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #7,328 of 10,895
Hey guys,

It seems that the mojo responds differently with regards to how it’s charged, I found that with the ifi ipower x the sound was brighter.

Would using an audiophile micro usb cable lead to better results then using standard cables?

I do really like the sound of this device just interested on how I can push its performance to the max since it is my desktop DAC/Amp.
I would venture to guess that the plug used to charge the battery makes no notable perfomance changes, provided it is the proper spec ( 5.0V and >2.0 A), when playback is via battery.

Once it enters Intelligent Desktop mode, perhaps a plug that is less susceptible to EMI/RFI noise would yield better performance. It is my understanding that Intelligent Desktop mode removes the battery from the power chain and you are truly running the Mojo 2 from the mains power, hence the possible benefit from cleaner power. Rob or others might prove me wrong, however.

Mar 18, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #7,329 of 10,895
Hey guys,

Audio cables are always going to divide the room, but if you peruse back a handful of pages in this thread I saw a post that shared experience of a more expensive coaxial digital to mini coaxial cable (out of an M2Tech Hiface2) yielded no greater perceptible performance over a standard/less expensive cable.

Additionally, I've seen an older Rob Watt's post where he commented on not using fancy digital cables and shared that he used a KabelDirekt optical cable when designing/testing. I cannot quickly find where I read that but you might also find this thread helpful:

Mojo FAQ

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #7,331 of 10,895
Audio cables are always going to divide the room, but if you peruse back a handful of pages in this thread I saw a post that shared experience of a more expensive coaxial digital to mini coaxial cable (out of an M2Tech Hiface2) yielded no greater perceptible performance over a standard/less expensive cable.

Additionally, I've seen an older Rob Watt's post where he commented on not using fancy digital cables and shared that he used a KabelDirekt optical cable when designing/testing. I cannot quickly find where I read that but you might also find this thread helpful:

Mojo FAQ
...To add onto this, in additon to the included micro USB cable, I run a Blue Jeans Cable coaxial to mini-coaxial cable, an Anker Powerline III USB C cable, and optical cables from Syncwire and KabelDirekt. I've really only tested the included micro USB and the Syncwire optical with the Mojo 2 and both seem to work just fine. That said, I may check out other cables in the future..something from, say, Shunyata Research. I also have an iFi Power 2 incoming for desktop power (Intelligent Desktop mode)...might change to a Power X as I wasn't originally aware they included the micro USB adapter on this model, too.

If you are running digital USB signal from your PC at your desktop, probably one of better investments you can make is into a USB isolator to provide galvanic isolation from your likely-noisy PC. The Mojo 2 does not natively include this like the Chord TT2 does since it requires bus power from the source device and is primarily designed as a portable device.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #7,332 of 10,895
I just want to add to the discussion if a second headphone output is a pro or a contra:
In my use case the mojo2 acts as a permanent dac (beneath the built-in ess9028pro) and feeds two inputs of my preamplifier. I just discovered yesterday that onw can address lip-sync issue in my preamplifier per input (per software).
Cable guys can also think about comparing two different Headphone out to RCA cables.

Mar 18, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #7,333 of 10,895
I just want to add to the discussion if a second headphone output is a pro or a contra:
In my use case the mojo2 acts as a permanent dac (beneath the built-in ess9028pro) and feeds two inputs of my preamplifier. I just discovered yesterday that onw can address lip-sync issue in my preamplifier per input (per software).
Cable guys can also think about comparing two different Headphone out to RCA cables.
I have enjoyed being able to have my HP's and a line out to nearfield monitors plugged in simultaneously.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #7,334 of 10,895
...To add onto this, in additon to the included micro USB cable, I run a Blue Jeans Cable coaxial to mini-coaxial cable, an Anker Powerline III USB C cable, and optical cables from Syncwire and KabelDirekt. I've really only tested the included micro USB and the Syncwire optical with the Mojo 2 and both seem to work just fine. That said, I may check out other cables in the future..something from, say, Shunyata Research. I also have an iFi Power 2 incoming for desktop power (Intelligent Desktop mode)...might change to a Power X as I wasn't originally aware they included the micro USB adapter on this model, too.

If you are running digital USB signal from your PC at your desktop, probably one of better investments you can make is into a USB isolator to provide galvanic isolation from your likely-noisy PC. The Mojo 2 does not natively include this like the Chord TT2 does since it requires bus power from the source device and is primarily designed as a portable device.
Yeah I’ve just invested in a wiim pro streamer and added an audioquest cinnamon USB C power cable to it.

Definetly sounds better then using a laptop as a source, also the option for Ethernet is there which I find tends to sound better then Wi-Fi.

It would be interesting to see just how far the mojo 2 could scale with high end amplifiers, obviously by design it’s amp stage does not shut off I believe but for harder to drive headphones it does not quite have enough juice.

I wonder what options are out there if one was to ever think about adding an additional headphone amp to the chain.

Mar 18, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #7,335 of 10,895
Yeah I’ve just invested in a wiim pro streamer and added an audioquest cinnamon USB C power cable to it.

Definetly sounds better then using a laptop as a source, also the option for Ethernet is there which I find tends to sound better then Wi-Fi.

It would be interesting to see just how far the mojo 2 could scale with high end amplifiers, obviously by design it’s amp stage does not shut off I believe but for harder to drive headphones it does not quite have enough juice.

I wonder what options are out there if one was to ever think about adding an additional headphone amp to the chain.
I am right there with you. I know GoldenSound mentioned using the Ferrum stack alongside the Mojo 2 for Susvara and was happy. I’m looking hard at the Bliss to team with Mojo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back