Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 21, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #6,241 of 10,898
I have one, it's mains powered (through USB-C port). digital output is optical only. It's a great device with a very good app - although there's no desktop / browser app, so can only be controlled from a phone or tablet. It's great value in my view. For some reason I haven't tried it with my Mojo2 yet (it currently feeds my Benchmark DAC2) but I'll give it a go shortly.
Not really what I'm looking for then (portable device with optical out), still it seems like a great product for desktop use.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #6,242 of 10,898
Not really what I'm looking for then (portable device with optical out), still it seems like a great product for desktop use.
Ah ok, that makes sense. definitely a desktop solution.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #6,243 of 10,898
If you want a streamer there’s many options out there. I am looking at mostly usb > optical. I know ifi streamer is quite good don’t know about other ones
Will have to go with DDC for USB to optical at desktop level.
there are some good ones actually like
Gustard U18, Singxer SU-6, Denafrips Hermes, Audio GD-20
each are reclocker with good clocks or support for external clocks as well.

Dec 21, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #6,244 of 10,898
I forgot to mention this before, When I said that the Mojo 2 sounds better from Optical Input compared to USB, I do not mean to say Mojo 2 sounds bad from USB Input. I think most people will be perfectly happy with the way it sounds via USB. It's just that I'm a very picky person with my audio gear and am always looking for that last bits of improvements in my audio chain.

At this moment, I do think getting a good USB Interconnect is a worth while investment. I have noticed some sound quality improvement from using a OEAudio Cable [Type C to C] when compared to a cheap AmazonBasics Cable [C to C]. I don't know if it's because the OEAudio is a good cable or because the AmazonBasics one is bad but there is a difference. I plan to get the ddHiFi TC09S Cable soon and will see if I notice any change/improvement.

Even though I like the OEAudio Cable, I will not be recommending it for the Mojo 2 because of the weird location of Type-C Input on the M2. The OEAudio Cable is a bit stiff and does not allow a good stacking of my phone & M2.

Attachments

• 20221222_021123.jpg
    20221222_021123.jpg
    842.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #6,245 of 10,898
I forgot to mention this before, When I said that the Mojo 2 sounds better from Optical Input compared to USB, I do not mean to say Mojo 2 sounds bad from USB Input. I think most people will be perfectly happy with the way it sounds via USB. It's just that I'm a very picky person with my audio gear and am always looking for that last bits of improvements in my audio chain.

At this moment, I do think getting a good USB Interconnect is a worth while investment. I have noticed some sound quality improvement from using a OEAudio Cable [Type C to C] when compared to a cheap AmazonBasics Cable [C to C]. I don't know if it's because the OEAudio is a good cable or because the AmazonBasics one is bad but there is a difference. I plan to get the ddHiFi TC09S Cable soon and will see if I notice any change/improvement.

Even though I like the OEAudio Cable, I will not be recommending it for the Mojo 2 because of the weird location of Type-C Input on the M2. The OEAudio Cable is a bit stiff and does not allow a good stacking of my phone & M2.

I have the short TC09S and think I hear slightly better clarity with ifi Go Bar, I don’t have a Mojo 2 to try it with.

It is a relatively stiff cable so you might not find it stacks ideally either unless you give it a squeeze to form a sharpish bend in it and more or less relegate it for that one application.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #6,246 of 10,898
I have the short TC09S and think I hear slightly better clarity with ifi Go Bar, I don’t have a Mojo 2 to try it with.

It is a relatively stiff cable so you might not find it stacks ideally either unless you give it a big of a squeeze to form a sharpish bend in it and more or less relegate it for that one application.
Is it any better than the MFi06 I wonder

Dec 21, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #6,247 of 10,898

Just few days back I read Rob Watt's comment on USB and he does prefer Optical as well and his point was if we have to use USB then use generic cable and not the audiophile grade one for his DAC as these Audiophile USB cable are better in transferring noise to DAC from laptop or phone and hence during initial days the brightness may be perceived as better resolution but in longer term we are better with generic cable.

Post in thread 'Watts Up...?'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-17293040

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #6,248 of 10,898
If you have a chromecast audio laying around, optical out from that to mojo 2 works great.

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #6,249 of 10,898
Is it any better than the MFi06 I wonder

My comment that I think I hear slightly better clarity with my ifi Go Bar using the TC09S was relative to the ddhifi TC05 that I normally use which is just the USB-C version pf the MFi06.

That said, any change was small and may have been only expectation bias. Conversely, I am not usually one to hear minor changes so if I heard something it might be far more obvious to others than to me.

Personally I buy USB-C cables exclusively and use a ddhifi TC28i Lightning to USB-C right angle adapter for the occasion I want to use my iPhone to connect to a device and I use a C to A adapter if I need to connect to the A port on my laptop which sometimes is on the more convenient side than the C ports.

Depending on your use case and other gear that might be a better option than Lightning specific cables when the Lightning connector seems destined to be a thing of the past soon.

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #6,250 of 10,898
I have one, it's mains powered (through USB-C port). digital output is optical only. It's a great device with a very good app - although there's no desktop / browser app, so can only be controlled from a phone or tablet. It's great value in my view. For some reason I haven't tried it with my Mojo2 yet (it currently feeds my Benchmark DAC2) but I'll give it a go shortly.
There is a desktop app. It's in beta and has pretty limited in functionality at the moment, but it works well enough.

https://wiimhome.com/App.html

Dec 22, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #6,251 of 10,898
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #6,253 of 10,898
I mentioned several hundred pages ago that the WiiM Mini>Optical>Mojo2>1980s amp and speakers has revolutionised the quality and convenience of music listening in our household. For those who prefer Tidal, the WiiM can now handle MQA but I am using Amazon Music cast straight from the AM iOS app (hi-res up to 24/192) and I struggle to think how the front end could be improved significantly without spending several thousand more, the combo really is that good. Maybe the new WiiM Pro would now be worth considering instead but, either way, I am beginning to think that from a SQ point of view there is little point in spending more on a streamer or, put another way, the money would be better spent elsewhere in a system.

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #6,254 of 10,898
Does anyone know if the sound quality changes/suffers if it is used with external power vs battery power?
I am wondering if it sounds better says
1) best with internal power
2) second best with external power bank (less noise)
3) least preferable with direct connection via USB charger
I tried but think it sounds pretty the same across the three types but wanted to hear other views.

On this note, I am thinking of connecting to power bank so to reduce the charge cycle of internal battery, as I heard the old MOJO owners suffered from reduced performance of its internal battery after a few years. Anyone have similar thoughts?

Wishing all a great Christmas very soon!

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #6,255 of 10,898
Does anyone know if the sound quality changes/suffers if it is used with external power vs battery power?
I am wondering if it sounds better says
1) best with internal power
2) second best with external power bank (less noise)
3) least preferable with direct connection via USB charger
I tried but think it sounds pretty the same across the three types but wanted to hear other views.

On this note, I am thinking of connecting to power bank so to reduce the charge cycle of internal battery, as I heard the old MOJO owners suffered from reduced performance of its internal battery after a few years. Anyone have similar thoughts?

Wishing all a great Christmas very soon!
There should be no sonic differences. Rob Watts frequently speaks about not needing fancy power supplies.

The old Mojo didn't have a desktop mode. If you used a poor power adapter, you could get a buzzing noise from the filters.

I prefer the optical input while on battery, but that's just my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back