Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #5,956 of 11,002
Just turn it up or down to wherever you want the volume, and the Mojo 2 will indicate what range you’re in and where you are within that range. Use it like a regular old volume control. Nothing to select.

Yep, think of the volume on the mojo as a 32 rung extension ladder against a wall, as you step up in volume you climb up a rung until you reach the max available which is 32.

Frankly I think Chord missed a trick here, the volume should go to 42

Edit - ignore the above as I merely counted the volume steps from the visually misleading moon audio pic on previous page, from zero volume to white menu button lighting up (high gain) is 64 presses of the volume + button, a further 64 presses of the volume + button will max out the unit and your cheap (sacrificial) earbuds will no longer work. So the volume is incrementally increased through 128 volume + button presses.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #5,958 of 11,002
anyone compare amp8 mk2 module on the ibasso dx240 with the mojo 2? the amp8 mk2 was a significant upgrade from the stock amp for me. dont have mojo 2 handy to compare at the moment

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #5,959 of 11,002
My money is on Moon Audio being wrong.

Do you have a Mojo 2 ? Why not just follow the Moon Audio instructions and see if it works, surely it would be obvious.
Correct - there absolutely is no gain changes in the analogue circuitry. Just a digital volume control with high level range and a low level range indicated by the menu button.

The reason there are two visible ranges is simple - on the original Mojo the volume had 96 steps. But one user posted on Head-Fi that he was using his crazy efficient IEM at the minimum volume possible, and wanted lower volume. So with Mojo 2 I increased the steps to 128, giving lower volume levels. Then the problem was displaying the volume settings, so I used the menu display to indicate when you are in the high volume range or in the low volume range.

It's just a way of displaying the volume setting with better precision, nothing more or less.

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #5,963 of 11,002
Today I was able to listen to a combination of the Audeze LCD-2 Close Back and the Mojo2 in the showroom of a local retailer. I decided to share my impressions a little bit and leave a review here. I hope it will be useful to someone. I have not previously considered a mobile solution for myself, so I made a comparison with the stationary models.
Headphones: Audeze LCD-2 Close Back
Source: iPhone 13 mini + lightning-to-USB adapter
Files: Apple Music Lossless (16-24/44.1-96)
DACs: Matrix Audio mini i-pro 3, Fiio K9 Pro ESS, iFi Neo iDSD, SPL Phonitor SE, Shanling EM5
Everything that has a balanced connection was used with it, the rest with unbalanced.
How does such a monumental sound come out of such a small box?
The first thing you notice is the scale. Very wide stage, the widest of all the DACs listed. The sound is very melodic and transparent. The bass frequencies are very deep, textured and relatable. Middle frequencies are very expressive, female vocals sound great. And the high frequencies are very clear and not ringing, exactly as much as you need. Serious difference from the other DACs of the Mojo2, in my opinion, is the pronounced 3D effect. And it is expressed not in the form of superimposed effect, but rather in the sense of space. There is no such thing on the opponents. I was very much surprised by the amplifier in the Mojo2. I feared that such a load as LCD-2 will be hard for it to handle, but I was wrong. Not the slightest sign that the headphones lack gain. And the volume reserve is huge. I used only 10-12 divisions of the volume from zero and it was more than enough, that is enough for the headphones 30% of the maximum volume.
Further comparisons...
Matrix Audio mini i-pro 3: I considered this option very closely, it has Roon support, I need it, but I did not like the sound signature of this device. It has one of the most neutral pitches I've heard, but it's also not lively or expressive. The bass is good, but it doesn't feel percussive or expansive, and the treble at maximum peaks is too much for me. When comparing with the Mojo2 this unit has in my opinion the pitch is very dry.
Fiio K9 Pro ESS: This device has very good performance. However, what stands out immediately when listening to it is the incredible treble processing. But, again, there are a lot of them and at the volume level at which I was listening to music in spades I became physically uncomfortable. Although the rest of the impression is only positive, the treble crosses out all the other pluses.
iFi Neo iDSD: This device seemed to me the most unexpressive of all the listed. The sound is as flat as possible, and not emotionally evocative and not articulate enough in the low and middle frequencies. This is especially audible when moving from the Fiio K9, it feels like there is a veil in the sound.
Shanling EM5: I have used this device for several months, so I have a good idea what it can do. I chose it earlier precisely because of the sound. I have a lot of complaints about it as a player and streamer, but now we are considering only the DAC. Everything in this device is great. Very voluminous and textured Bass, transparent and emotional midrange, but a little bit let down by the high frequencies. Comparing with Mojo2 EM5 it lacks the detail, and in especially complex compositions, in orchestra, for example, it is felt that at high volume the amplifier loses control and smudges a little.
SPL Phonitor SE + DAC: This is the most expensive DAC on the list. And expectedly it turned out to be one of the best. Everything is great here, very clean and clear pitch, relief bass, crystal clear mids and very soft and airy high frequencies. It has crossfeed just like Mojo2, but it does not have that feeling of wide space, which Mojo2 gives. And in the low frequencies everything is super clear, without coloring. After it you get the feeling that Mojo2 and EM5 give a slight increase in bass.

After this comparison I 100% decided that the Mojo2 should be at my disposal. It produces an amazing sound and has great features and capabilities for me.
In second place was the SPL Phonitor SE and in third place was the Shanling EM5.

P.S. Pardon my English

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #5,964 of 11,002
Moon Audio providing inaccurate and unreliable information.... I'm shocked. Their "reviews" have such integrity and insight, after all 🤔

Dec 1, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #5,965 of 11,002
So, I'm reconsidering purchasing Mojo 2 despite my reservations regarding white noise. What I would like to know is the following:

1/ As I will be using Mojo 2 with my iPhone/iPad and ML #5909 headphones, is Apple's CCK ssufficient?

2/ Is there a concise manual for a blind newby?

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #5,966 of 11,002
So, I'm reconsidering purchasing Mojo 2 despite my reservations regarding white noise. What I would like to know is the following:

1/ As I will be using Mojo 2 with my iPhone/iPad and ML #5909 headphones, is Apple's CCK ssufficient?

2/ Is there a concise manual for a blind newby?
1) Yes. I use the ML 5909 and Mojo 2 for night time listening. Usually in passive mode, but sometimes ANC if noise is present. I use an Apple thunderbolt 3 cable and a usb-c to lightning adapter without issue. CCK will be fine with usb a to usb c cable. I’ve done that too.

2) No. The included manual is sparse - it will give you a good overview to understand basic functions. Rob Watts presentation about Mojo 2 from his blog linked earlier is probably the most comprehensive and best source of information. The presentation is very good and very easy to understand. Clearly with the above back and forth, the gain/volume range issue was not clear.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #5,967 of 11,002
1) Yes. I use the ML 5909 and Mojo 2 for night time listening. Usually in passive mode, but sometimes ANC if noise is present. I use an Apple thunderbolt 3 cable and a usb-c to lightning adapter without issue. CCK will be fine with usb a to usb c cable. I’ve done that too.

2) No. The included manual is sparse - it will give you a good overview to understand basic functions. Rob Watts presentation about Mojo 2 from his blog linked earlier is probably the most comprehensive and best source of information. The presentation is very good and very easy to understand. Clearly with the above back and forth, the gain/volume range issue was not clear.

Thanks for the info.

If you or anyone could provide a lik to the aforementioned blog it would be much appreciated as I have to scroll line by line to search for it.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #5,968 of 11,002
Clearly with the above back and forth, the gain/volume range issue was not clear.
I think it was only not clear because of how moon audio phrased things in their guide. Referring to the different ranges as high/low gain when it's just two ranges of the overall volume range indicated by the menu button color.

Without reading that it was pretty clear to me and is pretty clear in actual usage.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #5,969 of 11,002
I think it was only not clear because of how moon audio phrased things in their guide. Referring to the different ranges as high/low gain when it's just two ranges of the overall volume range indicated by the menu button color.

Without reading that it was pretty clear to me and is pretty clear in actual usage.

True, but going by the back and forth above, it is wasn’t universally clear. The moon audio article is misleading with the high gain and low gain language. The manual doesn’t refute or clarify the moon audio article. Rob’s presentation did clarify the volume behavior, but it’s not readily linked in this thread for people to view.

It took me precisely 20 seconds to figure out that there is no selectable gain control on the Mojo 2. Rob’s explanation was excellent. More people are going to view the Moon audio tutorial than this thread. It would be nice if they changed the language to reflect what Rob just stated above rather than the high gain/low gain business.

Dec 1, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #5,970 of 11,002
I understand what Rob was trying to do and why, it's the menu button changing colour that's confusing. It's just a linear scale and using the language low and high range signified by an actual change in colour to the menu button has confused some, including me, but not everyone of course.

This was trying to fix a problem that existed for IEM users to have lower volumes accessible to them as described by Rob.

However this doesn't require the menu button to change colour when going into high mode, that's complete different to the lower volume steps issue.

So I assume that's been added to warn IEM users to be careful when that's lit.

So it seems two issues have been solved with M2, both for IEM users, lower volumes plus a higher volume warning light.

Which is great. I suppose the manual could be clearer although it doesn't need to tell you lower volumes are available because that's obvious to those that need it, hence I/we focus on the higher volume range only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back