Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 31, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #5,356 of 10,568
Question,

Think Mojo2 has problems or starts to stress, powering headphones at 250 ohms ?

its said, the Mojo 2 outputs 90mW @ 300 ohms ( to both headphone jacks on the device )

bellow states, 'nominal power handling capacity is 200mW (I'm thinking that's the 1770s power need, with out factoring volume ? oh god I have gone cross eyed )

Looking at :

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 ohms.​

Technical Specs

Transducer type Dynamic

Operating principle Closed

Frequency response 5 – 40,000 Hz

Nominal impedance 250 Ω

Nominal SPL 102 dB SPL (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Max. SPL 125 dB SPL (200 mW / 500 Hz)

T.H.D. < 0.05% (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Nominal power handling capacity 200 mW

Sound coupling to the ear Circumaural

Ambient noise attenuation Velours: approx. 18 dBA Leatherette: approx. 21 dBA

Nominal headband pressure Approx. 7.2 N

Weight (without cable) 388 g
Mojo 2 powers my HD6XX easily, so it will not have any problems driving these 250 ohms Beyers with enough headroom left for quieter recordings.

Considering its size Mojo 2 is probably the best portable DAC/AMP out there right now.

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #5,357 of 10,568
在描述 mojo 2 的 UHD DSP 时,我觉得不应该参考 EQ。它确实改变了声音特性以匹配所连接的 iem。这是我的 iems 设置。仍在决定是否要针对 IE800 进行调整。

D57364B4-1FCE-4673-8A4E-8C3A6253CA81.jpeg

仅此功能就是购买或升级到 mojo 2 的理由。
Same evo user, thanks for sharing!

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #5,358 of 10,568
Question,

Think Mojo2 has problems or starts to stress, powering headphones at 250 ohms ?

its said, the Mojo 2 outputs 90mW @ 300 ohms ( to both headphone jacks on the device )

bellow states, 'nominal power handling capacity is 200mW (I'm thinking that's the 1770s power need, with out factoring volume ? oh god I have gone cross eyed )

Looking at :

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro 250 ohms.​

Technical Specs

Transducer type Dynamic

Operating principle Closed

Frequency response 5 – 40,000 Hz

Nominal impedance 250 Ω

Nominal SPL 102 dB SPL (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Max. SPL 125 dB SPL (200 mW / 500 Hz)

T.H.D. < 0.05% (1 mW / 500 Hz)

Nominal power handling capacity 200 mW

Sound coupling to the ear Circumaural

Ambient noise attenuation Velours: approx. 18 dBA Leatherette: approx. 21 dBA

Nominal headband pressure Approx. 7.2 N

Weight (without cable) 388 g

Absolutely more than capable.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #5,359 of 10,568
I've had Mojo 2 for several months now, I was lucky enough to get one shortly after it was released.

I previously had Mojo 1 for roughly 5 years and have never experienced the white noise issue at all.

However, in the last 2 weeks I've had 2 disturbing experiences where the Mojo 2 has made a very loud whining sound through the headphones shortly after the power on cycle has completed.

Set up is PC as source connected to Mojo 2 via spdif out to optical in.

The first time it happened I powered on Mojo then powered on PC shortly afterwards. The PC had not booted to Windows yet when the Mojo finished power cycle and emitted a very loud whining noise, starting at a high pitch and descending lower for around a 1-2 sec duration, similar to the sound a balloon makes when quickly releasing the air from it. I had just put the headphones on my head at the time and managed to rip them off quickly because it was ear splitting. My wife actually ran in from the other room asking what the noise was (open back headphones).

The second time it happened the PC had fully booted into windows before I powered on Mojo, but it emitted exactly the same whining noise, luckily I didn't have headphones on this time.

I would appreciate an explanation from @Rob Watts as to whether the device is faulty or if this is another known issue?

Either way I feel I'm probably going to return the Mojo.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #5,360 of 10,568
I've had Mojo 2 for several months now, I was lucky enough to get one shortly after it was released.

I previously had Mojo 1 for roughly 5 years and have never experienced the white noise issue at all.

However, in the last 2 weeks I've had 2 disturbing experiences where the Mojo 2 has made a very loud whining sound through the headphones shortly after the power on cycle has completed.

Set up is PC as source connected to Mojo 2 via spdif out to optical in.

The first time it happened I powered on Mojo then powered on PC shortly afterwards. The PC had not booted to Windows yet when the Mojo finished power cycle and emitted a very loud whining noise, starting at a high pitch and descending lower for around a 1-2 sec duration, similar to the sound a balloon makes when quickly releasing the air from it. I had just put the headphones on my head at the time and managed to rip them off quickly because it was ear splitting. My wife actually ran in from the other room asking what the noise was (open back headphones).

The second time it happened the PC had fully booted into windows before I powered on Mojo, but it emitted exactly the same whining noise, luckily I didn't have headphones on this time.

I would appreciate an explanation from @Rob Watts as to whether the device is faulty or if this is another known issue?

Either way I feel I'm probably going to return the Mojo.
I have not read any reports of white noise via optical in. Indeed, I was under the impression that this was a great way to avoid the problem, so your experience either suggests you have been incredibly unlucky or it is a function of your particular setup.
As a Mojo 1 and 2 owner like yourself I have thankfully not had any problems so far with the latter, using either USB via camera CCK or optical via a Wiim Mini.

Sep 3, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #5,362 of 10,568
I'd like to clarify that this isn't white noise, it's a very distinctive whining sound which I assume is a different issue.
Doesn't sound right. Why not just get it replaced?

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #5,364 of 10,568
Has anyone experienced anything like no click when turning on Mojo 2? sometimes it is happening and my music do not come out.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #5,365 of 10,568
I was hoping @Rob Watts would weigh in, or someone with similar issue so I could ascertain whether it's a faulty unit, in which case I'll get it replaced, or if it's a known issue in which case I'd be looking for a refund.
Never heard of this kind of issue - whining sound - from any of my DACs ever. Suggest you either turn it on after windows has successfully booted up, or if that doesn't work get the Mojo 2 replaced.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #5,367 of 10,568
I acquired an IE600 as my first IEM. Ran it off the apple dongle for the first week and had the impression that it couldn't image whatsoever. All sounds overlapped and every piece of the drum kit in Reflection by Tool was rendered in the same location.

I knew this imaging with the Apple dongle and IE600 was off because my desktop chain of Bifrost 2/64 -> Ferrum Oor -> LCD-5 places each piece of the intro drum sequence into 6 distinct areas (there’s center, center left, center lefter, far left, slightly right of center and far right). Then the cymbals start at 1:03 in the far left. So after writing my impression linked above, I hooked up the IE600 to my desktop chain and the lack of imaging disappeared. No longer was everything in one overlapping blob in front of me.

Since it’s a bit impractical to carry my desktop chain with me to work, I decided to do a shootout between the Qudelix 5K and Chord Mojo 2. Both are hooked up to my iPhone via USB.

I’m going to keep this comparison brief because I heard the difference between the Mojo 2 and 5K immediately. With Reflection by Tool as the test track, the Mojo 2 creates the image I expect from my desktop setup- maybe not as accurate and precise but very very close. The Qudelix 5K is one blob again, albeit a slightly wider blob than the dongle. On the 5K, the far left and far right sounds from the drum kit are both rendered in the front and overlap the center drums.

I focus on imaging because it’s a binary criteria i.e. it’s either present or it’s not. Not some subjective term like clarity or timbre or dynamics. And I want to emphasize that these are my subjective, sighted impressions. I personally would love to do some volume-matched A/B testing so if anyone is in the Washington DC Metro area and wants to tinker with me sometime please PM me. I feel pretty confident that if I can only listen to the Lateralus album by Tool, I can distinguish between them.

In short, the 5K is getting returned and the Mojo 2 is staying.

Sep 4, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #5,368 of 10,568
I acquired an IE600 as my first IEM. Ran it off the apple dongle for the first week and had the impression that it couldn't image whatsoever. All sounds overlapped and every piece of the drum kit in Reflection by Tool was rendered in the same location.

I knew this imaging with the Apple dongle and IE600 was off because my desktop chain of Bifrost 2/64 -> Ferrum Oor -> LCD-5 places each piece of the intro drum sequence into 6 distinct areas (there’s center, center left, center lefter, far left, slightly right of center and far right). Then the cymbals start at 1:03 in the far left. So after writing my impression linked above, I hooked up the IE600 to my desktop chain and the lack of imaging disappeared. No longer was everything in one overlapping blob in front of me.

Since it’s a bit impractical to carry my desktop chain with me to work, I decided to do a shootout between the Qudelix 5K and Chord Mojo 2. Both are hooked up to my iPhone via USB.

I’m going to keep this comparison brief because I heard the difference between the Mojo 2 and 5K immediately. With Reflection by Tool as the test track, the Mojo 2 creates the image I expect from my desktop setup- maybe not as accurate and precise but very very close. The Qudelix 5K is one blob again, albeit a slightly wider blob than the dongle. On the 5K, the far left and far right sounds from the drum kit are both rendered in the front and overlap the center drums.

I focus on imaging because it’s a binary criteria i.e. it’s either present or it’s not. Not some subjective term like clarity or timbre or dynamics. And I want to emphasize that these are my subjective, sighted impressions. I personally would love to do some volume-matched A/B testing so if anyone is in the Washington DC Metro area and wants to tinker with me sometime please PM me. I feel pretty confident that if I can only listen to the Lateralus album by Tool, I can distinguish between them.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Tuned in immediately to Reflection.
Sounds great with Mojo OG and VO. :)
Will give it a shot with my FD5 soon. :thumbsup:

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #5,369 of 10,568

Yes, I believe you are correct in focusing on image because, without a quality image, you tend to lose all of the other details you mentioned, such as clarity, timbre, and dynamics.

It's the instrument separation and position that helps to clearly define these details. And the Mojo 2 is fabulous in that respect.

Sep 4, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #5,370 of 10,568
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tuned in immediately to Reflection.
Sounds great with Mojo OG and VO. :)
Will give it a shot with my FD5 soon. :thumbsup:
Glad you like Reflection! First time hearing it? For me it's the perfect test track given how well it's recorded and tests the entire frequency spectrum.

How well does the Mojo OG drive your VOs? It drives my LCD-5s quite well I must say. And the EQ to cool down the midrange at 3kHz is perfect.
Yes, I believe you are correct in focusing on image because, without a quality image, you tend to lose all of the other details you mentioned, such as clarity, timbre, and dynamics.

It's the instrument separation and position that helps to clearly define these details. And the Mojo 2 is fabulous in that respect.
100%. Imaging has grown on my list of importance when it comes to audio. I love the ability to hear where an instrument is coming from in the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back